Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned yesterday from a 700 mile round trip in my 17 XD Pro 4X Diesel. Went out this morning to start truck in about 28 degree temperature. It went through it's normal start up where I had to hold in the brake while the glow plugs heated up. Truck started and I immediately heard two sounds I had never heard before. First came from the engine which sound like a loud rattling sound and the other sounded like something in the exhaust/muffler was rattling/vibrating. I let the truck idle a minute to see if I could identify the source of the noise. The noise from the motor dissipated but the noise from the exhaust continued. I shut the truck down and when I shut my door, I heard a loud pitched tinging vibration/rattle come from the area of the exhaust underneath my truck bed. I had to go somewhere, so I started the truck back up. This time there was no engine noise but I could still hear the noise from the exhaust. As I was driving at low speeds or when I was stopped at a stop light, I could still hear the exhaust rattle.

I can't get to a dealer till Jan. 2nd. If anybody could give me some idea as to what is going on with the engine noise and the exhaust noise, I would really appreciate it. The exhaust noise sounds just like I experienced years ago when the inside of the muffler came loose. You could shut your door and here the loud tinging vibration/rattle. Come to find out the tack welds inside the muffler had broken. But this happened on my little car with normal exhaust, not this huge diesel exhaust. In regards to the engine noise, I have started the truck numerous times with temps. below freezing and never heard this engine noise.

After just undergoing my 22nd surgery(#14 to my lower body) it is difficult for me to get down on the ground and crawl under the truck. But if somebody can direct me to the area they think is causing this exhaust noise, I will do my best to crawl under the truck. I'm hoping it is just something loose, like a heat shield or something. I'd just rather go this route than spending my day at the dealer, unless I have no choice. I'm handy with the wrenches for I rebuild my friends dirt bike motors, but their bike's are on a lift or the motor is on my table. It sucks having a 45% disability in my lower body. If I could pull all the metal out of my legs, feet and hips, I could fabricate some pretty cool parts. But anyway, if anybody has a clue, feel free to speak up.

Thanks, Kent

·
313 Posts
Just returned yesterday from a 700 mile round trip in my 17 XD Pro 4X Diesel. Went out this morning to start truck in about 28 degree temperature. It went through it's normal start up where I had to hold in the brake while the glow plugs heated up. Truck started and I immediately heard two sounds I had never heard before. First came from the engine which sound like a loud rattling sound and the other sounded like something in the exhaust/muffler was rattling/vibrating. I let the truck idle a minute to see if I could identify the source of the noise. The noise from the motor dissipated but the noise from the exhaust continued. I shut the truck down and when I shut my door, I heard a loud pitched tinging vibration/rattle come from the area of the exhaust underneath my truck bed. I had to go somewhere, so I started the truck back up. This time there was no engine noise but I could still hear the noise from the exhaust. As I was driving at low speeds or when I was stopped at a stop light, I could still hear the exhaust rattle.

I can't get to a dealer till Jan. 2nd. If anybody could give me some idea as to what is going on with the engine noise and the exhaust noise, I would really appreciate it. The exhaust noise sounds just like I experienced years ago when the inside of the muffler came loose. You could shut your door and here the loud tinging vibration/rattle. Come to find out the tack welds inside the muffler had broken. But this happened on my little car with normal exhaust, not this huge diesel exhaust. In regards to the engine noise, I have started the truck numerous times with temps. below freezing and never heard this engine noise.

After just undergoing my 22nd surgery(#14 to my lower body) it is difficult for me to get down on the ground and crawl under the truck. But if somebody can direct me to the area they think is causing this exhaust noise, I will do my best to crawl under the truck. I'm hoping it is just something loose, like a heat shield or something. I'd just rather go this route than spending my day at the dealer, unless I have no choice. I'm handy with the wrenches for I rebuild my friends dirt bike motors, but their bike's are on a lift or the motor is on my table. It sucks having a 45% disability in my lower body. If I could pull all the metal out of my legs, feet and hips, I could fabricate some pretty cool parts. But anyway, if anybody has a clue, feel free to speak up.

Thanks, Kent
Is it cold metal resonance? I've noticed it too and it went away idling in driveway for a couple minutes.
I

·
726 Posts
I had this happen on mine. I found that when the motor was deal cold in low temps the elbow shaped exhaust shield on the drivers side could be moved by hand. When warmed but cool enough to touch I could not move it. I let the truck sit over night crawled under and use a wrench to tweaked these bolts to 60 inch pounds. Afterward I have only heard it once and not to the extent as before. After winter I plan on going under the truch and checking all the heat shield and fasteners.

·
34 Posts
This is happening on my 18 PRO4X (gasser). Took it to the dealer, and they could not find anything. I knew how to replicate the problem so had the service advisor drive while I sat in the passenger set. As we exited the dealership, I told him to accelerate fast, he heard the noise, "yup thats not right"..... Taking back into the dealership after Christmas

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Question, when this rattle happens, does the engine start losing rpm, vibrate shake ? act like it's going to quit? how long does the noise last, for a few seconds 1-5 seconds or longer?

·
34 Posts
It does not lose RPM or shake and it does not quit unless you take your foot off the gas to decelerate. I can duplicate the problem every time. It sounds like it is coming from the muffler OR the heat shield above the muffler. I did wrench the 4 screws that mount the heat shield, those babies are tight.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Have you pulled to see if any codes.. one thing that could be causing it a rapid intermittent rattle ping noise, if your at idle and makes me suspicious is look at this Rotary Turbine Control Valve Actuator, see diagram, item #17 it is located at the Very back of the topside of the intake manifold near the firewall.. It has a electrical connection attached to it.. if you reach behind it with your hand when the engine is NOT running.. you can freely move the linkage you see in diagram. If you move it rapidly, it will Rattle and Clank and if for whatever reason it is getting intermittent voltage or the electrical actuator itself is having issue, it will make sounds to the exhaust system and you will here this inside the cab.
Now I'm not saying this is the problem, however I have learned this by accident while restoring a XD that was underwater and had to go thru every system and learn lots of stuff that you would never imagine.. Again I am not saying this is it.. but look into it.. because if this Valve control is Flapping it will make sounds you described and you would not necessarily notice any effect directly to the engine pending the state the engine is running in..
See Pics attached.. like to solve mysteries. Had a lot with the Submarine I restored.. lol
I have also did a quick video so you can hear the sound and see how I move it. But it will sound from inside the cab a clanking noise rattle, etc.. again. this may not be the issue.
Here is link to Video.
https://youtu.be/MEnLWUAvtnM

I did this real quick and forgive my stupid "I'm make a video", Obvious..older I get the dumber.lol going back to my childhood.. that's what they say to us old farts.. again, in the cab it will sound like a clinging clak rattle if it's doing what I simulated manually.. normally once the ignition is on it slams up and you can hear it go KaChunk, but if the power to it is intermittent it will do as I simulated..
Enjoy.. keep in touch..
Ric
Fueldog67

Attachments

·
34 Posts
Have you pulled to see if any codes.. one thing that could be causing it a rapid intermittent rattle ping noise, if your at idle and makes me suspicious is look at this Rotary Turbine Control Valve Actuator, see diagram, item #17 it is located at the Very back of the topside of the intake manifold near the firewall.. It has a electrical connection attached to it.. if you reach behind it with your hand when the engine is NOT running.. you can freely move the linkage you see in diagram. If you move it rapidly, it will Rattle and Clank and if for whatever reason it is getting intermittent voltage or the electrical actuator itself is having issue, it will make sounds to the exhaust system and you will here this inside the cab.
Now I'm not saying this is the problem, however I have learned this by accident while restoring a XD that was underwater and had to go thru every system and learn lots of stuff that you would never imagine.. Again I am not saying this is it.. but look into it.. because if this Valve control is Flapping it will make sounds you described and you would not necessarily notice any effect directly to the engine pending the state the engine is running in..
See Pics attached.. like to solve mysteries. Had a lot with the Submarine I restored.. lol
I have also did a quick video so you can hear the sound and see how I move it. But it will sound from inside the cab a clanking noise rattle, etc.. again. this may not be the issue.
Here is link to Video.
https://youtu.be/MEnLWUAvtnM

I did this real quick and forgive my stupid "I'm make a video", Obvious..older I get the dumber.lol going back to my childhood.. that's what they say to us old farts.. again, in the cab it will sound like a clinging clak rattle if it's doing what I simulated manually.. normally once the ignition is on it slams up and you can hear it go KaChunk, but if the power to it is intermittent it will do as I simulated..
Enjoy.. keep in touch..
Ric
Fueldog67
Fueldog, I really appreciate the advice and taking the time to make a video, not sure this applies to the gas engine.

happy holidays....

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Oops, sorry did'nt catch the Gasser.,,, sorry.. Merry Christmas..
Ric
ps.. I'am guilty of sticking my foot in it.. sometimes.. life is a learning experience...lol

·
896 Posts
Now, back to the OP's issue. Man if your disabled don't get underneath that truck, just drive it until your able to get to a dealership. Just don't mention to them that you have been driving it around, simply say I just noticed it w/o further explanation.

·
19 Posts
Aloha Army,

Hi from SA as well. Let me know what you find out at the dealer. My 2018 XD Gasser makes a similar sound when cold and accelerating. Like a metal clicking sound. Noticed it yesterday AM when I started up and left my driveway (dog got out and had to chase it down so no engine warm up and had a fast acceleration with drivers window down). If it's an easy fix I would rather take care of it myself rather than make the trip to NB Nissan to have it fixed.

·
34 Posts
Aloha Army,

Hi from SA as well. Let me know what you find out at the dealer. My 2018 XD Gasser makes a similar sound when cold and accelerating. Like a metal clicking sound. Noticed it yesterday AM when I started up and left my driveway (dog got out and had to chase it down so no engine warm up and had a fast acceleration with drivers window down). If it's an easy fix I would rather take care of it myself rather than make the trip to NB Nissan to have it fixed.
Got it back from the dealer (Ancira) yesterday..... Long story short:

This was the second time I took the XD in for this issue, Also told them that I noticed a Slow Speed Rotational squeaking noise, that I noticed.

They gave me a loaner, XD-SV, since I knew how to duplicate the problem, leaving the dealership, I accelerated fast and wouldn't you know it, I get the same metal clicking sound!!!!

Going back to the first time I took it in, they could not duplicate the problem. So When I picked it up I made the service advisor take a test drive with me, him driving. Told him exactly what to do, CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK !!! he looked at me and said "Ya that does not sound right"

So he knew how to duplicate the problem the second time I brought it in.

He called me a couple days ago AND before I could say anything about the loaner XD exhibiting the same problem, he informed me that they were able to duplicate the "Noise". They also tested a brand new 2018, 2019 XD SV and PRO-4X, would you know it, SAME NOISE !!!!!

He informed me that he was going to open a Case with Nissan USA, and instructed me to do the same via 1800NISSAN. Hopefully, if they get enough complaints they will look into it and issue a TSB. If you get a chance call 18006477261, reference my case 339-658-39 and tell them that you are having the same issue.

·
7 Posts
Aloha Army,

This was the second time I took the XD in for this issue, Also told them that I noticed a Slow Speed Rotational squeaking noise, that I noticed.

They gave me a loaner, XD-SV, since I knew how to duplicate the problem, leaving the dealership, I accelerated fast and wouldn't you know it, I get the same metal clicking sound!!!!

Going back to the first time I took it in, they could not duplicate the problem. So When I picked it up I made the service advisor take a test drive with me, him driving. Told him exactly what to do, CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK !!! he looked at me and said "Ya that does not sound right"

He called me a couple days ago AND before I could say anything about the loaner XD exhibiting the same problem, he informed me that they were able to duplicate the "Noise". They also tested a brand new 2018, 2019 XD SV and PRO-4X, would you know it, SAME NOISE !!!!!

He informed me that he was going to open a Case with Nissan USA, and instructed me to do the same via 1800NISSAN. Hopefully, if they get enough complaints they will look into it and issue a TSB. If you get a chance call 18006477261, reference my case 339-658-39 and tell them that you are having the same issue.

Checking to see if you have an update. Will Nissan fix or do you have a DIY remedy? I just bought a titan and have this same noise issue. I’m so pissed. Took it track to the dealership in boerne and they basically shrugged their shoulders

·
1,324 Posts
Aloha Army,

Aloha Army,

Checking to see if you have an update. Will Nissan fix or do you have a DIY remedy? I just bought a titan and have this same noise issue. I’m so pissed. Took it track to the dealership in boerne and they basically shrugged their shoulders
Both you guys should call nissan in New Braunfels and ask for service advisor Nikki. Best dealership in the region. Absolutely love them.

·
34 Posts
Both you guys should call nissan in New Braunfels and ask for service advisor Nikki. Best dealership in the region. Absolutely love them.
Does Nikki know what the problem is and how to fix it? My Service advisor is really good too but I think its the mechanics that dont know what the problem is.

·
34 Posts
It's still happening and I inspected every inch of the exhaust. I just ordered a new cat back system and will have it installed soon and will let you know

·
1,324 Posts
Does Nikki know what the problem is and how to fix it? My Service advisor is really good too but I think its the mechanics that dont know what the problem is.
She may but the mechanics too but they dont shrug shoulders. They will get it figured out. Some quit too easy - not good service

·
7 Posts
So my first issue was doing a cold start in the mornings and it sounded like metal grinding near the engine for a few seconds. Once it warms up, then it's gone. It sounds terrible. Service told me this is standard and there's nothing they can do. Its a manufacturer issue...SMH

Then came the metal on metal sound when giving gas in the mid-truck area while driving at low speeds. This sound doesn't happen when in park or neutral and giving gas, so wondering if its the driveshaft?

Taking it back again today.

Please let me know if the new exhaust works. I need to get this figured out! Thanks!

·
118 Posts
So my first issue was doing a cold start in the mornings and it sounded like metal grinding near the engine for a few seconds. Once it warms up, then it's gone. It sounds terrible. Service told me this is standard and there's nothing they can do. Its a manufacturer issue...SMH

Then came the metal on metal sound when giving gas in the mid-truck area while driving at low speeds. This sound doesn't happen when in park or neutral and giving gas, so wondering if its the driveshaft?

Taking it back again today.

Please let me know if the new exhaust works. I need to get this figured out! Thanks!
Does the sound go away after driving the truck for a while? I have that same noise happen when it’s really cold outside. It sounds as if it’s a valve opening kind of is the only thing I can associate it with.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts