Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed on here and other sites, but I have been mulling the issues associated with a 5.9/6.7 Common Rail swap into an XD. I am truly interested if the wiring would be compatible (hear me out). The 5.0 is controlled by a CAN system (as mandated by law) and the engine controller is presumably made by or programmed by Cummins. With this in mind, I am wondering if wiring the 6.7 controller into the system (essentially replacing the 5.0 controller) would provide appropriate CAN signals to the other nodes in the truck to make it work. The sensors provide the same signals, although the 6.7 has one or two the 5.0 doesnt, and vice versa (e.g, the VGT turbo vs the rotating valve on the 5.0 have individual sensors). That being said, I think tuning would smooth that out. While I am no where near doing this myself at this point as my 5.0 is functioning fine and only has 30,000 on it right now, I still think it is a matter of time. If nothing else, once this truck is paid off I will seriously consider tackling this myself. I think as these trucks age there will be a market for this type of swap.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doubtful it would fit & even if it did the weight would tare up the front end. The electronics definitely would be a challenge.
Believe me it will fit. If someone can fit a damn Hellcat engine in a miata, it can be done. The weight is potentially an issue, but not much of one. The 5.0 weighs around 900 pounds, while the 6.7 weighs around 1100-1200. 200-300 pounds more on the front is something stiffer shocks and maybe springs could take up (or you could make up by lightening the front end in other areas, like a fiberglass hood). It is taller, but the way the intake on the 5.0 is leads me to think there is room to make it work. It is also longer, but again I think it can be made to fit with mods to the fan (electric fans?). It takes two out of three of the following to make it work; time, money, and know how. If you have two of the three you can make it work out (of course SOME money is a requirement, but as a general prinicple this holds true in any upgrade). I saw a guy put a 6.7 in a K5 Blazer, which is much shorter up front than our trucks.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Not sure of your intent or use case, but the Titan XD frame from the front to mid section is an NV frame and the mid section to the rear is a standard Titan's frame. With the massive torque of the 6.7 between 850 - 1000 lb-ft depending on tune.... I would be surprised if you didn't twist the frame.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Bumper part Automotive window part

·
1,324 Posts
Not sure of your intent or use case, but the Titan XD frame from the front to mid section is an NV frame and the mid section to the rear is a standard Titan's frame. With the massive torque of the 6.7 between 850 - 1000 lb-ft depending on tune.... I would be surprised if you didn't twist the frame.

View attachment 43519
Cft trucks are already at 1000lbs and no frame twisting yet

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

View attachment 43519
1. Where is this information from? I would like to research it (not for the swap, just for general information). Everything I have seen shows the frames are not the same, although they appear similar. For example, the XD frame is 99% high strength steel vs mild steel. It also has more cross bracing. But again, I am always willing to look at new information if you have a source for this. The more you know the better in my opinion.

2. In any case, other Titan XDs (most notably the CFT truck) are putting out well over 1000 ft lbs with a compound turbo setup on this truck. I am not worried about the frame. They overbuild them in any case. There is an article online about how difficult it will be to pull an XD frame straight after an accident due to the high strenght steel usage.

To be blunt, the hardest part will be mating the wiring up to make everything work, but I am working on that. I have found some interesting similarities between the ECU used by both motors. I am looking for a pinout diagram for the Titan XD to see how close they actually are and what would have to be changed. Cummins makes both ECUs, so the question is will the Titan's CAN network readily accept the information coming from the 6.7 ECU? Again, I am not going to pull a fully operational 5.0 out of my truck just to test all of this, but if no one else does it then I will eventually (once this motor is good and worn) try this myself. I think it's inevitable.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Read to much on the forums, now his engine is gonna self destruct ??

Luckily he has a plan.....
People always talking shit on here. Problem with the internet I suppose, people don't get punched in the teeth enough. Oh well. What is your experience with engines? Cars? Anything? I've built cars and engines from the ground up. School trained and formerly certified mechanic before I let my certs lapse. Worked for Mercedes Benz USA as a dealer tech at one time before tiring of working at dealerships and went on to other things. But I guess I get all my info from forums. If you have something constructive by all means share. Otherwise fuck off.

·
329 Posts
People always talking shit on here. Problem with the internet I suppose, people don't get punched in the teeth enough. Oh well. What is your experience with engines? Cars? Anything? I've built cars and engines from the ground up. School trained and formerly certified mechanic before I let my certs lapse. Worked for Mercedes Benz USA as a dealer tech at one time before tiring of working at dealerships and went on to other things. But I guess I get all my info from forums. If you have something constructive by all means share. Otherwise fuck off.
Good for you, now go punch someone

·
1,324 Posts
Hes pushing out 363 single turbo installs for guys who want to tow and faster spool. That 366 he had hit the 1000ft lbs though.
This compound is the only way to max this truck and put into respectable power to compete on a track. Given Time and upgraded part development for each weak link that shows - i m expecting in 2-3 years the xd jokers will suck a d$?!

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Dude you literally put it exactly like I would haha. People talk shit on the net because they feel safe.. they wont speak it in person.

·
418 Posts
Hes pushing out 363 single turbo installs for guys who want to tow and faster spool. That 366 he had hit the 1000ft lbs though.
This compound is the only way to max this truck and put into respectable power to compete on a track. Given Time and upgraded part development for each weak link that shows - i m expecting in 2-3 years the xd jokers will suck a d$?!
I'm aware of what he's been doing, I'm just agreeing with blackmega on other turbos

·
285 Posts
Let's just say this.....

The 5 blade turbo is snake oil. That 366 is ancient technology. And DTF knew exactly what I was referring to.

The 364.5sxe would outperform that 5 blade 366. And the 366sxe I'd be willing to be would've pushed it well past 600hp. The 369sxe with his new injectors would be capable of 800hp with good tuning.

Notice though that since he finished the compound setup he doesn't do or show much on it. I feel because there's some other issues besides tuning at play.

One thing is for sure. It's the slowest spooling set of small compounds I've ever seen!

·
1,324 Posts
Let's just say this.....

The 5 blade turbo is snake oil. That 366 is ancient technology. And DTF knew exactly what I was referring to.

The 364.5sxe would outperform that 5 blade 366. And the 366sxe I'd be willing to be would've pushed it well past 600hp. The 369sxe with his new injectors would be capable of 800hp with good tuning.

Notice though that since he finished the compound setup he doesn't do or show much on it. I feel because there's some other issues besides tuning at play.

One thing is for sure. It's the slowest spooling set of small compounds I've ever seen!
The ones he charge se have great drive pressure. Dont really understand that but it sounds important so would an sxe do same?

I want to upgrade my turbo eventually but id prefer a true compound with a small sxe and maybe a sxe 369. Maybe no need for a new hood if smaller turbos?
How do you not overboost small turbo when u compound?

The current turbo sounds like amazing engineering with no overapeeding baby turbo but the baby dont spool quick enough and the big one dont move enough air for higher tunes imho

·
285 Posts
The ones he charge se have great drive pressure. Dont really understand that but it sounds important so would an sxe do same?

I want to upgrade my turbo eventually but id prefer a true compound with a small sxe and maybe a sxe 369. Maybe no need for a new hood if smaller turbos?
How do you not overboost small turbo when u compound?

The current turbo sounds like amazing engineering with no overapeeding baby turbo but the baby dont spool quick enough and the big one dont move enough air for higher tunes imho
Drive pressure is the amount of pressure exiting the cylinders before it gets to the turbine. Drive pressure is also a byproduct of heat as hit air moves fast and is dense. Heat is what spools turbos, hint the name Drive pressure literally links to the force pushing the turbo. The more heat the more spool you get, more pressurized air in also means more pressurized hot air out. Too much drive/ cylinder pressures is what usually blows head gaskets.

If he really wants to improve his setup he needs to drop down to a secondary( baby as you call it) that can actually compound the primary atmosphere turbo(the 472 he has), because right now that 472 is doing all the work. If he ran the formulas and identifed his turbo pressure ratios he'd know that. Which might I add.... all 472s no matter the type, brand, or make are dog shit for some reason. Not just my opinion, but the opinion of many that have been around performance diesels for awhile.

I run a 64.5sxe over a 488etr v2 style set of compounds on my dually. Even with having such a large primary, my setup spools like lightning. I honestly wouldn't ever run compounds again on any other truck, and many of the major players in performance are going back to singles with good tuning and fuel combos.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts