Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Drive pressure is the amount of pressure exiting the cylinders before it gets to the turbine. Drive pressure is also a byproduct of heat as hit air moves fast and is dense. Heat is what spools turbos, hint the name Drive pressure literally links to the force pushing the turbo. The more heat the more spool you get, more pressurized air in also means more pressurized hot air out. Too much drive/ cylinder pressures is what usually blows head gaskets.

If he really wants to improve his setup he needs to drop down to a secondary( baby as you call it) that can actually compound the primary atmosphere turbo(the 472 he has), because right now that 472 is doing all the work. If he ran the formulas and identifed his turbo pressure ratios he'd know that. Which might I add.... all 472s no matter the type, brand, or make are dog shit for some reason. Not just my opinion, but the opinion of many that have been around performance diesels for awhile.

I run a 64.5sxe over a 488etr v2 style set of compounds on my dually. Even with having such a large primary, my setup spools like lightning. I honestly wouldn't ever run compounds again on any other truck, and many of the major players in performance are going back to singles with good tuning and fuel combos.
What sxe turbo should we customize for install?

·
522 Posts
If my Cummins XD ends up having major issues (I'm way out of warranty now), I'll seriously be looking at a full engine and transmission swap for the gasser version. I love the truck. I'm hopeful the Cummins will hold up. But if things go south, I'm going gasser.

·
310 Posts
C
If my Cummins XD ends up having major issues (I'm way out of warranty now), I'll seriously be looking at a full engine and transmission swap for the gasser version. I love the truck. I'm hopeful the Cummins will hold up. But if things go south, I'm going gasser.
I believe Castle Customs in Canada is currently building a 6.7 Cummins XD. It connects to our stock transmission with an adapter. I’d save your money and invest into that if the time comes.

·
1 Posts
I know this has been discussed on here and other sites, but I have been mulling the issues associated with a 5.9/6.7 Common Rail swap into an XD. I am truly interested if the wiring would be compatible (hear me out). The 5.0 is controlled by a CAN system (as mandated by law) and the engine controller is presumably made by or programmed by Cummins. With this in mind, I am wondering if wiring the 6.7 controller into the system (essentially replacing the 5.0 controller) would provide appropriate CAN signals to the other nodes in the truck to make it work. The sensors provide the same signals, although the 6.7 has one or two the 5.0 doesnt, and vice versa (e.g, the VGT turbo vs the rotating valve on the 5.0 have individual sensors). That being said, I think tuning would smooth that out. While I am no where near doing this myself at this point as my 5.0 is functioning fine and only has 30,000 on it right now, I still think it is a matter of time. If nothing else, once this truck is paid off I will seriously consider tackling this myself. I think as these trucks age there will be a market for this type of swap.
Did you ever Swap engines? My 2016 5.0L Cummins in my Nissan Titan XD just blew. I am fearful if they put the same engine in I will have the same issues sooner than later. I would like to put another comparable/compatible Cummins product in. I worry about the additional weight of the 5.9/6.7.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts