Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my Pro4x on Thursday and immediately dug into the owners packet wanting to get a solid understanding of the maintenance, break-in, and other "get off on the right foot" information.....
I read in the supplement to the maintenance booklet for the Cummins engine,
Break-in suggests pretty normal stuff like varying engine speed and avoiding full acceleration and braking....
the part I would like some feedback on is the fairly direct suggestion of breaking the engine in "under load"...this is my first diesel and I want to get it broken in properly.....
So do I go hook up the travel trailer and drag it around town and back and forth to work?
will a few runs up the mountain passes near me here in Reno NV without the trailer going to put some task on the engine as suggested?

PLEASE CHIME IN!!!

·
1,979 Posts
Hook the trailer up then go do those mountain passes. Best thing you can do for a Diesel is to work the Sh!t out of them ASAP. The Axle Gears have a 500 mile non towing break in but after that Hammer Down.

·
169 Posts
Go drive it. Tolerances are so tight these days you don't need to break anything in. When you need to tow, tow. If you don't, it's pointless to hook up and go drive around.

·
911 Posts
As AZPRO4X said, after the first 500 miles of non towing for driveline break in you are good to go. Hook it up and drive it like you stole it.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info!
I am glad I asked, as I totally missed the 500 mile powertrain break-in interval.
Guess another read is in order.
cheers

·
607 Posts
2016 Pro4x diesel. First make a service appointment to check to see if you have the latest software updates. Sales does not do this and the flash for the ECU regarding def, crank positions sensor, dead peddle etc. Next squeaks & rattles is only covered for 12/12 Not 100k. Yes take some runs up the hills and if you get a chance tow something fun fun but dont sweat not doing it. On mine the first 500 motor was really tight, every 500 to 1000 seemed to bring a little personality changebto the motor. Manual states engine set in by about 8k. I changed my oil at 5k to 10w30 t5 Rotilla and that probably why along with my driving did not set in till 10k. Now I run 5w40 full synthetic. For a modern diesel with all the smog I think these truck are pretty darn good. Most important on a diesel is maintain the filters. Oh the oil change indicator on these puppies does work. Drive and enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts