Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cool it.

Imagine this. You're Nissan. In the 2000s you saw the booming US full-size truck market and decided to throw your hat in the ring. You brought to market the Nissan Titan, a solid effort, but by no means a world-beater. A few years into its release, the pickup wars truly kicked off, and you decided to hedge your bets, make small improvements to the Titan and Frontier, and wait to see where the dust settled.

Unfortunately, you were simply left behind, and ramping up the R&D required to have a kick-ass half-ton just wasn't in the cards. Maybe you had plans to go all-in, but scrapped them due to the economic realities faced by the automotive industry at the turn of the decade. I'm not sure.

Whatever the reasoning may be, you decided to do something different, you decided to go after a niche not currently filled. How big is the 5/8 ton space? I have no idea. Nissan, you probably don't either, but I appreciate that you're going for it.

So where does this leave us? We're on the eve (to be fair, this is one LONG eve) of a new class of truck hitting the market, and everyone is a fvcking critic. You don't deserve this Nissan, nobody outside of the press has driven the thing, most people haven't even sat in one, and if this forum is to be believed you're dead to rights.

Why am I interested in the XD? It has two features that I'm craving to see in a single vehicle, that being a Cummins engine (sure, I would have preferred a common rail, but I'm not an engineer) and independent front suspension. Those two features have me itching to place an order, add long-travel suspension, a bed-cage in the back, KINGs and BFG KRs at all four corners, and blast through the desert at a 100 MPH, laughing at the Raptors in my dust.

In the last 3 years I've bought a new Ford, Toyota, and now Chevy truck, and I love them, but I'm ready for something different.

I'm rooting for you Nissan.

·
1,979 Posts
This chubby ass truck with a heavy Diesel couldn't keep up with a Raptor on its best day, especially when ford is bumping up the light weight Eco to 450hp ish to put in the Raptor.
I think that everyone has figured out with the numbers the XD is already way behind the eight ball & they haven't even released it.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everyones a critic because nissan told us they were building the best thing since sliced bread
Do we know it isn't? It isn't going to be that for everyone, but it might be the best thing for me, or for you.

The journalist reviews that I have read/watched don't seem to grasp that it's currently without peers in the space, as all they are confidently saying is that it's weaker than a 3/4 ton and stronger than a 1/2. Geniuses I tell you. Geniuses.

It's the first of it's kind (well not really, there were 5/8 ton trucks made to avoid the leaded/unleaded fuel switch), and we're treating it like it's a class of truck that's been around for 20 years.

·
658 Posts
Do we know it isn't? It isn't going to be that for everyone, but it might be the best thing for me, or for you.

The journalist reviews that I have read/watched don't seem to grasp that it's currently without peers in the space, as all they are confidently saying is that it's weaker than a 3/4 ton and stronger than a 1/2. Geniuses I tell you. Geniuses.

It's the first of it's kind (well not really, there were 5/8 ton trucks made to avoid the leaded/unleaded fuel switch), and we're treating it like it's a class of truck that's been around for 20 years.
I'll tell you who the geniuses are, the guys who decided to putting a factory goose neck in this thing. This made us (or at least me) think it was a serious tower/hauler. Unfortunately someone forgot to ensure that the cargo capacity was up to the task!

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This chubby ass truck with a heavy Diesel couldn't keep up with a Raptor on its best day, especially when ford is bumping up the light weight Eco to 450hp ish to put in the Raptor.
I think that everyone has figured out with the numbers the XD is already way behind the eight ball & they haven't even released it.
In stock form, of course you're right.

But open your eyes to aftermarket mate. The Raptor arrives from the factory with 11.2" of front suspension travel, 12" in the back. Part of this is because they're a bit conservative at the factory, and it's also due to the consideration of it being 4WD with front axle angles to consider. An IFS 2WD long-travel Silverado 1500 can pull 20" in the front.

There isn't a lot, but there is precedent for a 3/4 ton IFS pre-runner. Check out this semi-famous build of a 4WD Duramax build, which is easily pulling 3-4" more travel than a Raptor. There are ton's more in his Instagram account, but here's a good picture of his suspension in action: https://www.instagram.com/p/xcIWBsFumT

As for whether or not you have it "figured out" because of the numbers, good for you. You are a one man market research survey. I know Cummins, and they produce stout engines that have a lot more power to offer than they are delivered with. A decent tune and some air management and this engine should easily be putting out HP and TQ in the 400/650 range.

Raptors are for people that lack creativity and are scared of voiding a warranty.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll tell you who the geniuses are, the guys who decided to putting a factory goose neck in this thing. This made us (or at least me) think it was a serious tower/hauler. Unfortunately someone forgot to ensure that the cargo capacity was up to the task!
I'm not a big hauler, so I don't have much to add in the way of towing discussion. As others have mentioned, Nissan and Toyota tend to underrate their vehicles, and the domestics tend to do the opposite, so I'm not convinced that it's a lost cause when it comes to towing/payload. The stated towing capacity realistically covers anything I'll be pulling in the next few years.

That said, if your main interest in the truck was its towing capacity, I hope it doesn't let you down, but if it does, the domestic 3/4 and 1 ton options can haul like a Freightliner these days.

·
658 Posts
I'm not a big hauler, so I don't have much to add in the way of towing discussion. As others have mentioned, Nissan and Toyota tend to underrate their vehicles, and the domestics tend to do the opposite, so I'm not convinced that it's a lost cause when it comes to towing/payload. The stated towing capacity realistically covers anything I'll be pulling in the next few years.

That said, if your main interest in the truck was its towing capacity, I hope it doesn't let you down, but if it does, the domestic 3/4 and 1 ton options can haul like a Freightliner these days.
Unfortunately the argument that Nissan underrates their trucks won't hold water in any legal or insurance situation. It looks more and more like I will Be going to a 250/2500 diesel truck.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
The ISV does use the common fuel rail system. Technically speaking, the 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstroke engines were also common rail.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Pulling more than 12,000 lbs on a 1/2 ton? You really want something bigger 250 or 2500 is where I would go.

For me the XD will hit the spot nicely ;)

Reactions: Zulu

·
107 Posts
10 k fifth wheel with 20% pin weight= 2000 pounds. The xd wont be able to tow it legally.

·
363 Posts
For years now Nissan has been way behind the pickup curve with the Titan. And if they don't get the XD roll-out correct from the get-go, I'm not sure they ever will.

·
24 Posts
FINALLY! This is the most intelligent post in the last few days. THANK YOU to the original poster. I'll second his thoughts that there are way to many people on here and social media posting various thoughts based on some press release info without actually driving this truck themselves.

·
573 Posts
Just cool it.

Why am I interested in the XD? It has two features that I'm craving to see in a single vehicle, that being a Cummins engine (sure, I would have preferred a common rail, but I'm not an engineer) and independent front suspension. Those two features have me itching to place an order, add long-travel suspension, a bed-cage in the back, KINGs and BFG KRs at all four corners, and blast through the desert at a 100 MPH, laughing at the Raptors in my dust.

In the last 3 years I've bought a new Ford, Toyota, and now Chevy truck, and I love them, but I'm ready for something different.

I'm rooting for you Nissan.
We are laughing at you. It would take A LOT of time and money to make this competitive with a Raptor in the desert.

In stock form, of course you're right.

But open your eyes to aftermarket mate. The Raptor arrives from the factory with 11.2" of front suspension travel, 12" in the back. Part of this is because they're a bit conservative at the factory, and it's also due to the consideration of it being 4WD with front axle angles to consider. An IFS 2WD long-travel Silverado 1500 can pull 20" in the front.

There isn't a lot, but there is precedent for a 3/4 ton IFS pre-runner. Check out this semi-famous build of a 4WD Duramax build, which is easily pulling 3-4" more travel than a Raptor.

A decent tune and some air management and this engine should easily be putting out HP and TQ in the 400/650 range.

Raptors are for people that lack creativity and are scared of voiding a warranty.
Taller shocks would not compensate for the 2000 lbs of extra weight.
Even with a "descent tune," it would still fall short of the Domestic 3/4 ton trucks in power.

Not sure what lack of creativity means - possibly an elitist statement since the Titan has no advantage left except "more mass for towing." Most generally try and AVOID breaking their warrant on a $50k truck. You might call it fear, I call it common sense.

It is great that you like this truck. Really, it is. Just don't scold everyone an expect them to listen to you while you are talking out your rear end.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Unfortunately the argument that Nissan underrates their trucks won't hold water in any legal or insurance situation. It looks more and more like I will Be going to a 250/2500 diesel truck.
Rock on man. The current HD offerings from the Big 3 are are fantastic IMO. They each have their pros and cons, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Best of luck mate!

The ISV does use the common fuel rail system. Technically speaking, the 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstroke engines were also common rail.
Here we go! This is the kind of info I look for on forums! Thanks for correcting me. I guess I've always made the inline = common rail connection, which it turns out I was incorrect to do so.

Pulling more than 12,000 lbs on a 1/2 ton? You really want something bigger 250 or 2500 is where I would go.

For me the XD will hit the spot nicely ;)
Absolutely. I think people were hoping this would just end up being a cheaper 250/2500. With the numbers released, people are just bitchy that they aren't going to be able to buy a truck that has 3/4 ton numbers at a 1/2 ton price.

I think we're going to see an instant replay of this with the new generation Titan XD:)

https://youtu.be/j8uIa1H5jOw
With 550 ft/lb of torque and a 3.91 final drive ratio, I think you're spot on. Thanks for the video, I haven't seen it before.

We are laughing at you. It would take A LOT of time and money to make this competitive with a Raptor in the desert.

Taller shocks would not compensate for the 2000 lbs of extra weight.
Even with a "descent tune," it would still fall short of the Domestic 3/4 ton trucks in power.

Not sure what lack of creativity means - possibly an elitist statement since the Titan has no advantage left except "more mass for towing." Most generally try and AVOID breaking their warrant on a $50k truck. You might call it fear, I call it common sense.

It is great that you like this truck. Really, it is. Just don't scold everyone an expect them to listen to you while you are talking out your rear end.
Where to start?

A LOT of time and money Well I guess that's all relative. I'm a parts dealer, focusing on building trucks that go fast in the desert. This is my wheelhouse. I think I can put a cost-effective suspension package together that will allow people to keep up with Raptors, if they so choose. I guess time will tell.

Taller shocks would not compensate for the 2000 lbs of extra weight. Please don't talk about things you know nothing about.

Even with a "descent tune," it would still fall short of the Domestic 3/4 ton trucks in power. This made me question if auto-correct had let me down, but after checking I did in fact spell decent correctly. I never said that a tune would give it the power of a domestic 3/4 ton. It doesn't need to. The engine is a fair bit lighter than it's 3/4 ton competition, combined with this truck weighing less, a modest performance bump and this thing should boogie.

It is great that you like this truck. Really, it is. Just don't scold everyone an expect them to listen to you while you are talking out your rear end. Nobody here owns an XD. So for the moment, nobody has "skin in the game", making everyone's opinion as valid as the next. Which is a shame because you likely won't buy one, yet we still have to listen to your negative commentary. Cheer up Pennywise.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
nihilus

Bring it down a notch, or I will.

Thanks!

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FINALLY! This is the most intelligent post in the last few days. THANK YOU to the original poster. I'll second his thoughts that there are way to many people on here and social media posting various thoughts based on some press release info without actually driving this truck themselves.
Rock on man! I had a chance to sit in a Platinum Reserve at SEMA earlier this month and chat with some of the Cummins marketing folk. I'm really excited about this new platform. I'm sure it'll have its shortcomings, but nothing's perfect. I'll be first in line to test drive one when they land and hope to place an order soon afterwards.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Here we go! This is the kind of info I look for on forums! Thanks for correcting me. I guess I've always made the inline = common rail connection, which it turns out I was incorrect to do so.
To go a little deeper into that, basically, if the injectors all share the same source of fuel that is at the same pressure. So with the 7.3L and 6.0L pathways were cast and machined into the head to deliver fuel to each unit pump, but there is essentially an uninterrupted path from injector to injector.

Older setups would have individual fuel lines from the injection pump, new common rail trucks have a high pressure pump and a common manifold the injectors receive fuel from.

Taller shocks would not compensate for the 2000 lbs of extra weight. Please don't talk about things you know nothing about.
Can you clarify this? From a hydraulic standpoint, the length of the cylinder has little effect on its lifting capcity. The standout point would be that if the cylinder is too long and the load is uneven, the cylinder might bend and buckle. Now the diameter of the cylinder will have an effect on its lifting capacity. So shocks/struts are just hydraulic cylinders with orifice to control dampening rates.

It is great that you like this truck. Really, it is. Just don't scold everyone an expect them to listen to you while you are talking out your rear end. Nobody here owns an XD. So for the moment, nobody has "skin in the game", making everyone's opinion as valid as the next. Which is a shame because you likely won't buy one, yet we still have to listen to your negative commentary. Cheer up Pennywise.
Don't take it too personally, Nihilus, if my memory serves me correctly, is a Nissan tech. He has demonstrated on a few occasions on how to completely insert ones foot into their own mouth. Not to say that I haven't either, but I'm awesome so my mistakes don't count.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts