Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Do they use paint rollers at the factory now? Jeez.

Regardless of any excuses, I'm not impressed. Nissan hand paints the GTR.
Yeah, I have noticed a lot of orange peel last few years on all manufacturers...It really makes you wonder how it can be getting worse! I think it's the low VOX, low lead, low everything paint that is causing the change..

There are a few exceptions.. I own a late model Acura MDX that I am pleased with...And I like the Lexus paint as well when I last looked..I think the worst vehicles for trucks are Ram and Ford pickups. Chevrolet seems to look nicer at a distance but I have not looked at the newer model up close..

Let's hope this is a pre production unit that is not painted properly because it would be quite disappointing if that was a final run example lol

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I see masking lines, so it's hand painted, or resprayed over the previous paint job which would amplify the orange peel.

It's cheater but it's worth remembering that the majority of pre-production vehicles are destroyed. So I can't completely blame Nissan for cheaply cleaning up the truck to show off at dealerships.

·
665 Posts
Yeah, I have noticed a lot of orange peel last few years on all manufacturers...
A certain amount of orange peel is beneficial as it extends the lifespan of the paint. This means the paint will last long enough to get past the warranty period. On higher end vehicles, too much orange peel is not acceptable.

With Nissan targeting the work market, they might be choosing to go for a paint job that will take the abuse. I personally wouldn't complain with orange peel like that as long as the paint was of premium quality and stuck well to the panels!

·
658 Posts
A certain amount of orange peel is beneficial as it extends the lifespan of the paint. This means the paint will last long enough to get past the warranty period. On higher end vehicles, too much orange peel is not acceptable.

With Nissan targeting the work market, they might be choosing to go for a paint job that will take the abuse. I personally wouldn't complain with orange peel like that as long as the paint was of premium quality and stuck well to the panels!
Huh? How does orange peel extend the life of the paint?

·
36 Posts
I see masking lines, so it's hand painted, or resprayed over the previous paint job which would amplify the orange peel.

It's cheater but it's worth remembering that the majority of pre-production vehicles are destroyed. So I can't completely blame Nissan for cheaply cleaning up the truck to show off at dealerships.
If your theory is right, I wonder where else they might cut corners. :(

·
665 Posts
Huh? How does orange peel extend the life of the paint?
Due to the peaks and valleys less surface area of the paint is directly damaged due to incidental contact. The paint also takes longer to dull, a perfectly smooth finish will show scratches and scrapes much sooner and to much greater effect.

·
665 Posts
If your theory is right, I wonder where else they might cut corners. :(
Where-ever they feel they can get away with it, they are in the business of making money. Why would you spend big money to do a proper respray on something you're going to send to the crusher in a few months?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Due to the peaks and valleys less surface area of the paint is directly damaged due to incidental contact. The paint also takes longer to dull, a perfectly smooth finish will show scratches and scrapes much sooner and to much greater effect.
Well, i definitely learned som'n today!! I would have never thought this way before you brought it up. hmmm.. interesting!!

·
36 Posts
Where-ever they feel they can get away with it, they are in the business of making money. Why would you spend big money to do a proper respray on something you're going to send to the crusher in a few months?
Chasing the bottom doesn't make you money, it loses you customers--especially on a $48-60k truck. You don't have to skimp quality to make a profit.

After the dealer attitudes I've dealt with and customers like you I'm 100% certain this won't be my next truck. Look forward to the threads about poor quality and problems. Good luck, have fun!

·
658 Posts
I'm still not sure I agree with this. It seems to be more of a theory than fact. Also, doing a Google search on the subject yields zero results (granted I only tried a few different phrasing during a handful of searches).

·
665 Posts
Chasing the bottom doesn't make you money, it loses you customers--especially on a $48-60k truck. You don't have to skimp quality to make a profit.

After the dealer attitudes I've dealt with and customers like you I'm 100% certain this won't be my next truck. Look forward to the threads about poor quality and problems. Good luck, have fun!
Don't blame me because you don't understand how the industry works. You can build a quality product and still watch your costs. Nissan is not a charity, and frankly if you have been following the Titan XD you'll realize that it is oozing with quality and appears to be extremely well built.

I don't understand how customers like me have any bearing on your purchase.

I'm still not sure I agree with this. It seems to be more of a theory than fact. Also, doing a Google search on the subject yields zero results (granted I only tried a few different phrasing during a handful of searches).
To be fair, at this time I don't have much to substantiate that claim other than experience. I worked for a body shop supply house for a while, and as well did some automotive and industrial spray painting. When I was being trained to paint, the idea behind orange peel was explained to me by a paint rep. Like reps from any business, it's wise to take what they say with a grain of salt, but it does make sense to me.

·
492 Posts
Orange peel makes it easy to see when you have sanded the poor quality paint job down to a point where it is smooth enough to repaint it properly.

·
665 Posts
In any case whoever painted that Titan in the pictures above, laid the paint on pretty thick. There is a couple spots where the paint shows it was close to running. Also the edges are thicker than the flats, which is another sign of a heavy paint job.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
In any case whoever painted that Titan in the pictures above, laid the paint on pretty thick. There is a couple spots where the paint shows it was close to running. Also the edges are thicker than the flats, which is another sign of a heavy paint job.
Could have been done that way for a "test vehicle". Keeps the scratches and dents from showing.

However, Nissan does have issues with paint/clear-coat. I need to have my truck repainted now. Looks like my truck had a couple horns ground off the roof. HA!

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
94 Posts
I've also heard that nissan is lacking in the paint area but judging the paint of a pre-production vehicle is foolish at best... Ive seen some close up pics of the orange platinum and yellow pro4x and they look to have a much more professional looking paint job than the blue one here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts