Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a heavy exhaust fume problem in cab when it re-gens. It Gagas me and I have to open windows and or stop and air out cab until safe to drive. Also, when its below 20 Degrees it regens at least twice a day and below 0 Degrees it regens every few hours or when I stop and go to running errands its in constant re-gen. 6 MPG when Re-Gen It gets great millage on Highway but only 8-10 in town
I have had Nissan look at issue several times and that cant re duplicate. Problem is they are in a 60-70 DEG shop and never test drive. The sent a Nissan rep in to drive it and he could not duplicate (it was 46 DEG that day).
It has really bad gas pedal lag when trying to accelerate and if turning a corner and try to accelerate hard to mend in traffic it just dies. I feel like I am going to be killed one day.
It will not start under 0 Degrees and is hard to start under 20 Degrees. The US trucks did not come with a plug-in intake heater to keep engine warm (Canada trucks came factory) and Nissan wants $600.00 to install to fix their problem.
2016 I paid $2800.00 for extended warranty and 2017-2018 comes factory 7 year 100,000 mile
I now have an attorney working on Lemon Law due to Nissan Consumer affairs denying me a buy back or swapping it out for a newer model 3 times. They know of the problem but will not work to fix it.

·
32 Posts
Dang, thats no good man. Mine just started doing it about 4 regens ago. Im at 12000miles now. Im taking it in to the shop and they said they will look at it. Ill let you know how it goes.....have you tried a different dealer?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its been the same dealer, Nissan doesn't have a fix and will not admit there is an issue. My Nissan Dealer is awesome and they have said they have limited ability s on the XD's.
I own several diesel trucks big and small and i have never experienced anything like this. I still feel its the Exhaust design and that the cold air intake for the vent system was not designed properly.
Consumer affairs is fighting me hard on the issue and now i have an attorney working on it. I also have a email in to the NTSP and the Health Department and this is a heath issue to me now.

·
1,569 Posts
Im pretty sure there have been multiple buybacks for that very issue already. Have your lawyer do some research. Does it still smell with the vents on recirculation? Is it a exhaust smell or raw diesel?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
welcome to the gas chamber

its heavy exhaust smell during regen
Mine is horrific also , E.P. Nissan has told me Nissan has no real good/proven help for regen ordor, And no answer from Nissan on our Minn. diesel B20 coming in May. See my thread on B20 and the 5.0..

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call My attorney Todd Gadget 763-315-4325 he has my case started for lemon law and you should also get moving

·
15 Posts
I have started to notice the exhaust smell in my 17 XD Cummins as well, especially with cooler temperatures.

What's more, I carry a personal 4-gas monitor, and the CO monitor triggers! I registered as high as 40 ppm, and got out of the truck to let it air out one time.

Yesterday I took pictures with the monitor in front of my dash clock every few minutes during a CO spike up to 22 ppm.

I'll be getting to the dealership ASAP. We have a baby on the way, not fooling with this any more.

Attachments

·
1,253 Posts
I have started to notice the exhaust smell in my 17 XD Cummins as well, especially with cooler temperatures.

What's more, I carry a personal 4-gas monitor, and the CO monitor triggers! I registered as high as 40 ppm, and got out of the truck to let it air out one time.

Yesterday I took pictures with the monitor in front of my dash clock every few minutes during a CO spike up to 22 ppm.

I'll be getting to the dealership ASAP. We have a baby on the way, not fooling with this any more.
I wonder if that should be reported to the Highway traffic safety people......

·
247 Posts
Use a lawyer and be prepared to get a buyback the hard way. The communication door will be slammed in your face. My buyback was odor in cabin on regen.

·
516 Posts
Interesting, I have 3 kids that ride in the back, during regen it smells but I was under the impression diesel doesn't put off CO... luckily I will be deleting, but until then... have you used air recirc mode (heat/ac), and noticed a difference?

·
523 Posts
The regen order can be strong at times depending on outside conditions. Nissan does have a TSB for a foam filter install belt the windshield cowling. I just put my system on air regulation and changed the cabin to the Wix with micro an. No exhaust should be getting in the cab though. If that is happening you have a bad coupling somewhere. For one issue I paid out of pocket and had a mechanic diagnose it so when I went to the dealer I could show the. They still had to verify but fixed it no problem.

·
7 Posts
I went from a regen every 3000 or 4000 km to once every 500 km. Local dealer had the truck in 4 times, did nothing except reset the computer. 5th time, they noticed a high pressure reading on the sensor ahead of the DPF, did a manual regen, still high reading, so they changed the DPF. While dropping the truck off to have the work done, engine started misfiring. They changed the DPF, changed the ECU, both issues (misfire and regen) still there. They ignored the regen issue and changed an injector, then claimed on the work order that the faulty injector (that just started acting up as they were changing the DPF) was the root cause of the DPF and catalyst failure, and after changing both, everything was fine. Truck then started to do a regen every 200 km and the harsh burnt fuel smell coming into the cabin was enough to make me gag (I mean, worse than I ever experienced in ANY vehicle, and I used to be a Flight Medic where raw jet fuel was the norm in my daily routine).

After every time, Nissan Canada claims it is the dealers responsibility to fix it, and they close their "investigation" without any help (or even bothering to call the dealership). General Manager at the dealership has been threatened with a lawsuit if they dont get it right, they dont really seem to care. The truck has spent more time in the shop over the last two months than it has out, long waiting times for parts (4 weeks for a new DPF), and don't get me started on the consumables... the dealership does not even stock engine air filters, the last one I bought, I had to drive from Canada to the USA and order it from Napa, was not available in Canada.

Truck is nearly unusable as is, the dealership is not able to fix it, and I owe WAY more on it than it is worth (seems like resale value for these trucks took a nosedive with all the negative experiences people were having).

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I went from a regen every 3000 or 4000 km to once every 500 km. Local dealer had the truck in 4 times, did nothing except reset the computer. 5th time, they noticed a high pressure reading on the sensor ahead of the DPF, did a manual regen, still high reading, so they changed the DPF. While dropping the truck off to have the work done, engine started misfiring. They changed the DPF, changed the ECU, both issues (misfire and regen) still there. They ignored the regen issue and changed an injector, then claimed on the work order that the faulty injector (that just started acting up as they were changing the DPF) was the root cause of the DPF and catalyst failure, and after changing both, everything was fine. Truck then started to do a regen every 200 km and the harsh burnt fuel smell coming into the cabin was enough to make me gag (I mean, worse than I ever experienced in ANY vehicle, and I used to be a Flight Medic where raw jet fuel was the norm in my daily routine).

After every time, Nissan Canada claims it is the dealers responsibility to fix it, and they close their "investigation" without any help (or even bothering to call the dealership). General Manager at the dealership has been threatened with a lawsuit if they dont get it right, they dont really seem to care. The truck has spent more time in the shop over the last two months than it has out, long waiting times for parts (4 weeks for a new DPF), and don't get me started on the consumables... the dealership does not even stock engine air filters, the last one I bought, I had to drive from Canada to the USA and order it from Napa, was not available in Canada.

Truck is nearly unusable as is, the dealership is not able to fix it, and I owe WAY more on it than it is worth (seems like resale value for these trucks took a nosedive with all the negative experiences people were having).
I'm calling bullshit....flight medic that dealt with "raw jet fuel" every day??? What rotary wing aircraft were you on that just dumped raw JP8 everyday? I'm just a dumb mechanic that started in the Army but I spent more than a few days on a Blackhawk, Chinook, and in a Kiowa and if there had ever been the smell of "raw fuel" in an aircraft the crew chief would have downed that bird ....unless maybe you were a Vietnam medic on a Huey but that would have been hydraulic fluid you smelt as I've been told by more than a few Army Aviators.
All that being said....I doubt the Bell's or others you were in had the "raw smell of jet fuel" in them all the time.....sorry to rant but you're story is suspect😁😁......and full of drama😁😁😁

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Im pretty sure there have been multiple buybacks for that very issue already. Have your lawyer do some research. Does it still smell with the vents on recirculation? Is it a exhaust smell or raw diesel?
Know this is an old post but in reading the thread had to comment 😁. If the engine or injectors were "throwing raw fuel" that could smelt then the dash cluster would light up with faults and warning signs like a billboard. No way an injector could cause that much havoc and dump that much raw fuel without triggering faults. Just can't happen.
On the "exhaust smell" every diesel vehicle today, equipped with SCR and DPF technology, while in regen setting at a dead stop will create a "smell". Especially when the windows are down or you are setting at dead stop in drive, regen running, and you don't move for an extended period of time with your foot on the brake....every OEM has this happen when vehicles are in regen and as described above.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ARICE
I have read both of your responses to my thread. We call guys like you a super trucker who knows everything and can’t be wrong and everyone is an ass [email protected]@ if they disagree with you. Do not attack people and do not attack someone’s creditability unless you have real facts. I’m attacking you because you think its ok to keyboard warrior on people. Every situation is different and people are experiencing the same issues I did. Some more extreme and others less but Who are you to call people out and insult them? How do you know what they are experiencing when they have issues? Because you’re a supper trucker mechanic?
Not every truck has the same issues, not every manufacture has the same issues. My issues were so extreme that my passengers were getting sick I was having bad headaches. My XD was regenning 2-4 times a DAY!! and could not figure out why!!! ALSO to all of you diesel mechanics out there, you don’t smell the fumes like a non-mechanic would! Your senses are dulled to the raw fuel, and spent fuel smells because your around it all day everyday so take a step back and think before you condemn. I lemon lawed my 2016 xd diesel and bought a 2018 gas XD. I love the truck buy MY 16 XD had real issues and Nissan could not fix them. I read on these post that people say I have the same issue but I do this and I do that???? Who cares your still having the same issues and if you don’t report it to Nissan it will never get fixed or improvements will not happen. So with that said ARICE get a life and stop trashing people because you don’t agree with them it makes you look cheap and dull.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
ARICE
I have read both of your responses to my thread. We call guys like you a super trucker who knows everything and can’t be wrong and everyone is an ass [email protected]@ if they disagree with you. Do not attack people and do not attack someone’s creditability unless you have real facts. I’m attacking you because you think its ok to keyboard warrior on people. Every situation is different and people are experiencing the same issues I did. Some more extreme and others less but Who are you to call people out and insult them? How do you know what they are experiencing when they have issues? Because you’re a supper trucker mechanic?
Not every truck has the same issues, not every manufacture has the same issues. My issues were so extreme that my passengers were getting sick I was having bad headaches. My XD was regenning 2-4 times a DAY!! and could not figure out why!!! ALSO to all of you diesel mechanics out there, you don’t smell the fumes like a non-mechanic would! Your senses are dulled to the raw fuel, and spent fuel smells because your around it all day everyday so take a step back and think before you condemn. I lemon lawed my 2016 xd diesel and bought a 2018 gas XD. I love the truck buy MY 16 XD had real issues and Nissan could not fix them. I read on these post that people say I have the same issue but I do this and I do that???? Who cares your still having the same issues and if you don’t report it to Nissan it will never get fixed or improvements will not happen. So with that said ARICE get a life and stop trashing people because you don’t agree with them it makes you look cheap and dull.
Many times in this forum I have admitted I was wrong and try to be objective even though most of my career I've seen drama queens like you "overdramatize" something concerning vehicles, create problems where none exists, or you have an ulterior motive to your complaint. Especially when their is an audience.
Ill leave it at that and just say...."You do you and I'll do me". Fairly obvious in today's society people get on social media and "vomit their emotions" to get what they want.....Nuff said.

·
7 Posts
I'm calling bullshit....flight medic that dealt with "raw jet fuel" every day??? What rotary wing aircraft were you on that just dumped raw JP8 everyday? I'm just a dumb mechanic that started in the Army but I spent more than a few days on a Blackhawk, Chinook, and in a Kiowa and if there had ever been the smell of "raw fuel" in an aircraft the crew chief would have downed that bird ....unless maybe you were a Vietnam medic on a Huey but that would have been hydraulic fluid you smelt as I've been told by more than a few Army Aviators.
All that being said....I doubt the Bell's or others you were in had the "raw smell of jet fuel" in them all the time.....sorry to rant but you're story is suspect😁😁......and full of drama😁😁😁
** Out of all that, the part you took issue with is how I used to smell raw jet fuel every day at work? I wasn't flying rotary, I was flying fixed wing in the Arctic, and a PT-6 on a King Air, when feathered and no load, puts a lot of Jet-A in the slipstream. I would typically board AFTER the bird was running on the ramp for a bit, after I drew my narcs from the safe. Engines kept running as soon as it came out of the hanger, because at -50, things get chilly quick.

·
1 Posts
I have a 2018 and the smells can get out of hand. The dealer tells me to take it off fresh air and this is the most I can do. I have to deal with it.... definitely thinking lemon law. The fumes get so bad I get headaches and taste diesel exhaust. Very frustrated with Nissan right now!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts