Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
There have been a few folks that have posted here that have gone the lemon law route for the exhaust smell. There is a TSB regarding the issue that the dealers don't want to talk about unless you bring it up to them. I have had the same issue recently but I keep my AC in recirculate most of the time anyway and I added one of the arm and hammer cabin filters from Walmart the other day and that makes things better also.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I'm calling bullshit....flight medic that dealt with "raw jet fuel" every day??? What rotary wing aircraft were you on that just dumped raw JP8 everyday? I'm just a dumb mechanic that started in the Army but I spent more than a few days on a Blackhawk, Chinook, and in a Kiowa and if there had ever been the smell of "raw fuel" in an aircraft the crew chief would have downed that bird ....unless maybe you were a Vietnam medic on a Huey but that would have been hydraulic fluid you smelt as I've been told by more than a few Army Aviators.
All that being said....I doubt the Bell's or others you were in had the "raw smell of jet fuel" in them all the time.....sorry to rant but you're story is suspect??......and full of drama???
** Out of all that, the part you took issue with is how I used to smell raw jet fuel every day at work? I wasn't flying rotary, I was flying fixed wing in the Arctic, and a PT-6 on a King Air, when feathered and no load, puts a lot of Jet-A in the slipstream. I would typically board AFTER the bird was running on the ramp for a bit, after I drew my narcs from the safe. Engines kept running as soon as it came out of the hanger, because at -50, things get chilly quick.
Dead post but interesting read. As a former Army Blackhawk guy myself, JP-8 fumes in the cold air even with "just the P running" were definitely a thing. **** - I'd be suspicious if I DIDN'T smell chemicals around the ramp!

Those PT-6's in your Kingairs burn nasty. Great powerplant though. ?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I'm calling bullshit....flight medic that dealt with "raw jet fuel" every day??? What rotary wing aircraft were you on that just dumped raw JP8 everyday? I'm just a dumb mechanic that started in the Army but I spent more than a few days on a Blackhawk, Chinook, and in a Kiowa and if there had ever been the smell of "raw fuel" in an aircraft the crew chief would have downed that bird ....unless maybe you were a Vietnam medic on a Huey but that would have been hydraulic fluid you smelt as I've been told by more than a few Army Aviators.
All that being said....I doubt the Bell's or others you were in had the "raw smell of jet fuel" in them all the time.....sorry to rant but you're story is suspect??......and full of drama???
** Out of all that, the part you took issue with is how I used to smell raw jet fuel every day at work? I wasn't flying rotary, I was flying fixed wing in the Arctic, and a PT-6 on a King Air, when feathered and no load, puts a lot of Jet-A in the slipstream. I would typically board AFTER the bird was running on the ramp for a bit, after I drew my narcs from the safe. Engines kept running as soon as it came out of the hanger, because at -50, things get chilly quick.
Dead post but interesting read. As a former Army Blackhawk guy myself, JP-8 fumes in the cold air even with "just the P running" were definitely a thing. **** - I'd be suspicious if I DIDN'T smell chemicals around the ramp!

Those PT-6's in your Kingairs burn nasty. Great powerplant though. ?
Well with, at best count, about 150 hours on a Blackhawk between AA school, JTF-6 rotations, and other duties requiring it, I can tell you this ground maintenance Warrant Officer would have never seen 150 hours if I'd smelled JP-8 in the cabin while in flight?....on the flight line..sure. But in the air...well maybe I don't have enough flight hours (and never wanted them?/forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png but as stated...theres not a officer one who would have gotten me back on one if that was the case.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Smells like Bleed Air tube issues,, leaks,,.. rather smell it on ramp vs. cabin. Arice.. glad to see you back, sent you two pvt msg's.. ?? thought we lost you in a snow drift up in Vail.. lol

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Smells like Bleed Air tube issues,, leaks,,.. rather smell it on ramp vs. cabin. Arice.. glad to see you back, sent you two pvt msg's.. ?? thought we lost you in a snow
drift up in Vail.. lol
Lol no sir. Back to work. Putting in 150kw generators around Texas and had to put some time in after vacation. I'll check the PMs.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Well with, at best count, about 150 hours on a Blackhawk between AA school, JTF-6 rotations, and other duties requiring it, I can tell you this ground maintenance Warrant Officer would have never seen 150 hours if I'd smelled JP-8 in the cabin while in flight?....on the flight line..sure. But in the air...well maybe I don't have enough flight hours (and never wanted them?/forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png but as stated...theres not a officer one who would have gotten me back on one if that was the case.
Good stuff! Walking warrants are becoming rarer these days. Over 2150 hours over here in UH-60A/L's and a smidge in the new Mikes (hate those things) - we tended to run slick in our assault outfit (stupidly even in winter) and I can only speak anecdotally but I remember many a cold morning when JP-8 was the eau de parfum of the atmosphere. But just so we're on the same page in this - you are correct in that I think we are referring to modes other than airborne? Again, can only speak anecdotally to this circumstance. It could also be that all my chief years has rendered my memory bits to gooey play-dough. Who knows? Either way, rock on.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Good stuff! Walking warrants are becoming rarer these days. Over 2150 hours over here in UH-60A/L's and a smidge in the new Mikes (hate those things) - we tended to run slick in our assault outfit (stupidly even in winter) and I can only speak anecdotally but I remember many a cold morning when JP-8 was the eau de parfum of the atmosphere. But just so we're on the same page in this - you are correct in that I think we are referring to modes other than airborne? Again, can only speak anecdotally to this circumstance. It could also be that all my chief years has rendered my memory bits to gooey play-dough. Who knows? Either way, rock on.
Good copy. You ever do in time in 10th AVN BDE 2/20 at Drum? I did some time in 1/10...
Speaking of ground warrants....I was the first ground warrant 1/10 AVN had ever seen due to the TOE change and transition from Cobras to Kiowa Warriors.....as soon as I reported in someone asks for my flight records?....I said..."Don't have any"...they said ..Chief you better get your ass back to your last duty station and get them".... I said....."My, my..this ought to be fun"?.....they definitely had to break in a armor and M1 guy?

·
46 Posts
This is the exact issue I have had with my 2018. Multiple posts and this is the most detail one I have found. Crazy getting the CO to register. I have a daughter and this is getting me very concerned. I to know about the TSB from my dealer. They too seem to not care very much. What's the deal?

·
8 Posts
its been the same dealer, Nissan doesn't have a fix and will not admit there is an issue. My Nissan Dealer is awesome and they have said they have limited ability s on the XD's.
I own several diesel trucks big and small and i have never experienced anything like this. I still feel its the Exhaust design and that the cold air intake for the vent system was not designed properly.
Consumer affairs is fighting me hard on the issue and now i have an attorney working on it. I also have a email in to the NTSP and the Health Department and this is a heath issue to me now.
Did you get any action on this yet.. I have a 2017 CD 5.0 SL with 16000 on it getting fumes in the cab and dealer agrees its there.. I to have filed a complaint with NHTSA on the issue and have initiated a consult with a lemon law attorney.. Have also initiated a buy back on the truck with Nissan Consumer affairs.
I'm hoping they are responsible for their product.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts