Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
769 Posts
My opinion the biggest thing this will help is the 50 gallon tank should all be useable. If it's true that the lift pump is just too weak for it. But idk if thats true yet.
Any of you guys that are having the 50 gallon 1/4 tank low fuel pressure issue chime in if you are getting this kit as to weather it helps or not. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
242 Posts
I have had two of these fine trucks. The first had an accurate fuel gauge. This one ...not so much. Low fuel light is at 20-22 gal used. A fuel sump in any tank, any manufacturer, would eliminate this BS. But then again..it is where all of the bad hombres collect. Bad for warranty claims...bad business. It's 2019 and fuel sumps are not standard for a reason.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Then how come some on level ground are having low pressure warning at 1/8 tank?

rexey, Hi,
Here's why.. The Factory Lift pump Pulls (Sucks) at a such a High Rate and when Your down to 1/8 or about to run out.. it is Sucking Air because the Volume Can that the Straw is located in the Fuel tank is really under size for the size and Volume the Pump can pull at such a High Rate.. Keep in mind the Factory Pump pushes at Normal Operating Pressure 50-80 PSI that is the Minimum that the Fuel Pressure Sender is looking for.. if Fuel is low in tank and falls back by siphon action which it will.. then the pump has to quickly make it up and causes the pump to cravitate and pressure is below the 50-80 psi, thus the Sender lites up the Combination Meter "Low Pressure".. I once was a dealer for the Air Dog Lift pumps which basically is the same as a FASS system.. but it has been about 7 years ago.. I'm not familiar with what those lift pumps can push in PSI, Volume is One thing, PSI is Another and the right combination is needed for every thing to work correctly..
The factory Lift pump can do the job just fine if it can get the Fuel... See Photo.. this is about a Quart capacity that the Lift Pumps Suck fuel from.. under normal conditions once primed the pump draws maybe 1/2 pint, but if your very Low on Fuel and shut down say for an hour, you may fine that the Lift Pump may and Low Fuel Pressure Light because of what I described above.

Enjoy Be Safe
Ric
Fueldog67

Attachments

·
885 Posts
Then how come some on level ground are having low pressure warning at 1/8 tank?

Like DTF stated, the fuel isn't available for the fuel draw tube to supply the lift pump for fuel transfer. Think about it...the pump will lift the fuel at any level with same ease as long as the fuel level isn't below the bottom of the tube picking up the fuel that goes to the pump.

Place said tube into a full shot glass and it will empty it just as it would a baby bottle and up to any volume container where the lift doesn't exceed lift pump capability. Meaning the length of lift for pump to transfer fuel from any container can't be the height of China's Great Wall.

Drawing from a straw in a full can of Pepsi doesn't require more suction pressure as the liquid goes down to empty. :smile2:
If the 50 gal tank has more depth than the OEM tank and is therefore too high for the stock lift tube to be submerged, or tank exceeds the OEM lift pump capability due to height, then the 50 gal tank is with poor design and requires an aftermarket add on or two.

The mfg ignores to state this, if true, because his sales will drop. And it should due to crappy design passed on to and for the consumer to figure it out and fix!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I have not seen the 50 tank, as for Depth... when you purchase the tank are they using the same Fuel sending unit that is Stock from the 26 gal tank that is factory.. I can't imagine that the 50 gal tank is much different in Depth Height, just longer and some wider.. The Factory Tank is 16 inches Deep from where the Fuel Sending Unit sits.. the sending unit is spring loaded to 16 1/2 inches.. the bottom of the Tank is aprox 1 inch above the Bottom edge of the Frame of the Truck, which I hope the 50 gal is.. otherwise your going to Expose to Damage easier. Especially if you ever run over a large object like an Alligator, those babies can tear up a lot if you ever drive over one..
I will Assume and we know what that spells Ass u me, that the 50 gal tank is no taller, higher or deeper.. I don't know.. But again lets assume it is.. The Fuel Sending unit and Lift Pump is Dumb.. as to the Amount of Fuel that in the tank.. So it should not have any issue about getting fuel.. other than if you run the tank down low and I mean low.. it can have a sucking straw affect as you mentioned form a baby botlle or pepsi can..
Are we on the same page here.. Cause I'm not understanding the issue about the Lift Pump. There are always better pumps, etc.
Kind Regards,
Ric
Fueldog67

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Would any of these help?
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/hydramats/

Rexey,
I lost something along the way.. what problem are you specifically having..
A. Your Not able to Suck the Tank Dry???
B. Your not able or having an issue getting fuel to the lift pump
C. Your Getting "Low Fuel Pressure" only when the Tank is near empty

Help me out.. here.. would like to be helpful if nothing else Understand your issue.. ?

Ric

·
769 Posts
Rexey,
I lost something along the way.. what problem are you specifically having..
A. Your Not able to Suck the Tank Dry???
B. Your not able or having an issue getting fuel to the lift pump
C. Your Getting "Low Fuel Pressure" only when the Tank is near empty

Help me out.. here.. would like to be helpful if nothing else Understand your issue.. ?

Ric

My issue is I want the 50 gallon tank. However, spending 1200 bucks for an extra 10 gallons give or take is not my idea of a deal worth doing. If I can buy an extra part or with whatever fix be able to use most of the fuel safely say down to +- 5 gallons I would consider it a viable purchase. And have it as an option in the future.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Myself, having driven 5 million miles plus as Owner Operator, with big trucks, and with the Titan two trips to West Coast from MS, I averaged 500 miles between fills.
Are you saying that your not able to pull the tank Fuel Gauge indicator down into the Red Zone., which is not the best idea. Reason is.. the Fuel to Empty is Not Accurate with these trucks.. as a Rule I normally us Fuel Rate Burn average.. like City 18, City Hwy, 20 and Just Highway 22.. mpg., figure 23 gallon burn is 506 miles..
When you run into the red, you may be down to 1-2 gallons when you spread that over a 4 1/2 foot tank.. your talking very little fuel available for the pick up. These tanks are not baffled, thus if low and your going down a steep hill or up.. your Fuel Sending Unit Canister is going over time to run out. and Low Fuel Pressure will come on.. etc..
So my question as well thought is this. I don't see much advantage for the 50 gal tank unless your running a lot of Long distances and keep in mind 500 miles on a tank or 400 and open highway unless your driving faster than 75 mph.. your average still in time will be about 65mph,, figures 6-7 hours in the saddle.. So why wouldn't you want to stop and leg break, drink and fuel. Now lets say your pulling a good load like Arice does.. I'm sure he's in the 10-12 mpg using 23 gal.. that's 4.6 hours in saddle.. just for safety alone, you should stop and give yourself a leg break and see if you have all the parts still on the truck and whatever your pulling..
So, why spend the money... Now for those that want the 50 gallons.. More Power to You.. Nothing Personal.. Go For it..
But Rexey, there seems to be an issue with your truck if you feel your leaving 4-5 gallons in your truck and your getting Low Pressure..?
Please Clarify
Ric

·
412 Posts
The viable option is a sump which has been talked about on a bunch of threads, even with installed pics.
Ric and fshn good soild answers!!! I was planning on coming back to this tonight but I don't anything more to add. You guys spelled it out.
Ric do you have the actual gph, connector sizes, ect for our pumps I couldn't find it.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
DTF, Hi,
I don't have Specs sheets, but actual test myself because I have a spare Lift Pump and was working on a major fuel issue, with the lift pump installed with filter,, with a line out from the pump to a 2.5 gallon clear jug.. it pumps thru the same size line feed with out pressure just free flow to the jug. Aprox 1.5-2 gal per minute.
Your Cummins 5.0L engine, wide open with a load, can't burn more than aprox 0.125 gal per minute based on 8 mpg at 60 mph. That's 16 Oz per minute max or that's 0.26 Oz's per Second..

Enjoy
Ric
keep burning Diesel, so you can see the Lift Pump Provides way more fuel than is needed.. it's all recirculated back to the fuel tank what is not used.. during run time.

·
412 Posts
That's what I was looking for! It sounds like it is very close to the 125gph that fass is offering on their kit.

·
1,324 Posts
My opinion the biggest thing this will help is the 50 gallon tank should all be useable. If it's true that the lift pump is just too weak for it. But idk if thats true yet.
Any of you guys that are having the 50 gallon 1/4 tank low fuel pressure issue chime in if you are getting this kit as to weather it helps or not. Thanks in advance.

This whole thread totally focused on the pump demension - the reason i will drop a lot of money on the fass system is for the filtration aspect alone.
I always fill up anywhere from a quarter to a half tank religiously so to aboid low pressure etc. The factory pump is quite strong and cam sustain at least the capacity of an additional 150-200 hp so that is a non-issue in my mind.
What i want is no champagne bubbles of air, no water and absolutely nothing that isnt diesel or amsoil 3 in 1 treatment from getting into my engine.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
In Summary, first lets talk about why FASS and AirDog Lift Pumps came about.. Way back more than 10 years, the Ram's with Cummin's 5.9L were having a lot of Main Fuel Pump failures because the Weak Lift Pumps from the Factory were not adequate. They became very popular because the FASS and AirDog Pumps were and are a better design. For more than just one reason. At one time I was a dealer for AirDog / FASS that's how my Fueldog name came about..
Now, on a Personal level, If you want a FASS or AirDog, Excellent choice Put it On.. there great. However what the XD is more than adequate for the Normal owner.. just on Filtration alone.. Unless your buying Diesel on the Black Market or making your own fuel which I really don't recommend for your 5.0L... I can say I have Pumped in 20 years + more than 507,692 Gallons of Diesel thru my trucks, I have the Tax records for Highway use tax to back these numbers, and with the two Titan XD's in the past two years have Pumped over 2500 Gallons, that's over 125 tank fulls.. And Not Once with any and all the Diesel I have put thru these Diesel's have I had a fuel issue with the Standard Fuel Filters and Lift Pumps etc.. Lucky, maybe.. Doubt it.. Buying Fresh Diesel is important.. why.. cause Diesel can and will over time deteriorate.. so Buy Diesel where it has a high refresh rate.. Have I seen some water occasionally over these years. Yes, but, as soon as I have an indicator Water in Fuel.. Stop shut down and Drain IMMEDIATELY and keep going not changing filters. I have over 5 million miles driving all over the USA and Canada in all kinds of weather, temperatures and fuel stops. Never was shut down because of Diesel Fuel.. Now I do follow few basics, 1 is Additive, 2 Buy from reputable volume sellers of Diesel
Now I have shared all this to say that.. If you want a Better System in your mind.. I would Do it.. Install it.. For those who just want to keep it Stock factory do that.. Both Are Good it's Personal Satisfaction mind set..
My experience , My Opinion and it's worth whatever you paid for it.. :):)
Enjoy your XD, Keep Burning Diesel !!
Ric
Fueldog67
ps. as for the lift pump its only 18" from the bottom of the pickup tube, these pumps displace the fuel and Push it to engine. So they are plenty adequate, they are Dumb Pumps and don't care if you have 5 gallon tank much less a 500 gallon tank..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts