Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan now has a fifth wheel adapter available for the XD. It is basically a set of rails that mount to the gooseneck mount tha allows you to mount a fifth wheel hitch to it. The part number is 999T5-W4198.

·
658 Posts
Nissan now has a fifth wheel adapter available for the XD. It is basically a set of rails that mount to the gooseneck mount tha allows you to mount a fifth wheel hitch to it. The part number is 999T5-W4198.
Have you seen one? I'm assuming it looks like the one at the very beginning of this video?

·
10 Posts
I've been in touch with Nissan here in Manitoba and they've been telling me for a while that they have this part number but they can't get me the part but never give any details on why not. Bought the Andersen for now but very interested to see how this one is going to work out. Thanks for the info.

·
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been in touch with Nissan here in Manitoba and they've been telling me for a while that they have this part number but they can't get me the part but never give any details on why not. Bought the Andersen for now but very interested to see how this one is going to work out. Thanks for the info.
I just noticed the installation instructions on our ASIST yesterday for the first time. Maybe check back with them to see if it is available.

·
5 Posts
I would like to buy the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel adapter but I keep hearing it interferes with the safety chain anchors?

·
291 Posts
I would like to buy the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel adapter but I keep hearing it interferes with the safety chain anchors?
Depends on the anchor style, and which version of anderson. The authentic Nissan anchors and the orignal (version 1)'of the anderson works fine. The GM style pucks interfere.

On the newest anderson (version/model 2), the thin plates/cross bracers cover the anchor holes altogether, making them unusable unless hitch modifications are made.

I own the ultimate 2, and purchased a link of chain and a large D-ring, and simply layed it down over and around the gooseneck ball, then lay the frame over and torque to spec. Safety chains then latch onto this link of chain. Its attached to the frame, therefore meeting technical requirements.

Hint, if you make this link long enough with a D ring, you can hook up chains, wiring and everything without crawling in/out of the box. Makes life a little easier.

·
5 Posts
Depends on the anchor style, and which version of anderson. The authentic Nissan anchors and the orignal (version 1)'of the anderson works fine. The GM style pucks interfere.

On the newest anderson (version/model 2), the thin plates/cross bracers cover the anchor holes altogether, making them unusable unless hitch modifications are made.

I own the ultimate 2, and purchased a link of chain and a large D-ring, and simply layed it down over and around the gooseneck ball, then lay the frame over and torque to spec. Safety chains then latch onto this link of chain. Its attached to the frame, therefore meeting technical requirements.

Hint, if you make this link long enough with a D ring, you can hook up chains, wiring and everything without crawling in/out of the box. Makes life a little easier.
Thanks for the info. Any chance you could post a photo?

·
485 Posts
Why all the fixation on safety Chains. Unless you live in Canada or one of the (two?) states that require them...why even mess with them. My fifth wheeler weighs 11K with 1700# pin weight. If it manages to come off that pin I do not want it wandering around in the truck bed attached by two chains. It WILL turn and roll taking the truck with it. Under those circumstances you are most likely dead. I would rather it tear the tailgate off and get the **** off my truck where maybe I can survive the accident. Much better to have the trailer roll on its own and maybe hit another vehicle than to roll the truck and then have two vehicles that can hit another with almost certain death of the truck passengers.

·
41 Posts
Fifth Wheel Adapter - Reese 5th wheel hitch base to wide

I purchased the Nissan adapter yesterday. I opened the box when I got home to discover the base is not the same as my standard reese 16K hitch. The 5th wheel slots on the base of the adapter is about 18". The width of the inserts of the 5th wheel are about 28". The 5th wheel base is to wide to fit the adapter. Anyone have any ideas of what to do other than buy a whole new 5th wheel hitch? See pictures attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Looks like the weight limit on your hitch is OVER what the adapter can handle. Doesn't it have a 12k limit?

·
41 Posts
Yes. The limit on my hitch is 16K. I don't plan on pulling that much weight. I had this hitch on my 2005 dodge cummins. I pull 8.8K dry 5th. I will call Reese on Monday to see if they have parts for the hitch to shorten the width to fit the new adapter.

·
41 Posts
I purchase a new curt 16K 5th wheel hitch to fit the adapter from Nissan. It fit like a glove when I assembled it. I really like the new hitch. The price was really inexpensive a little over $211 delivered. I will take pics tomorrow and post for those who are interested in the setup. I got the hitch from etrailer.com.

I pulled my 5th wheel for the first time today to check out the power. The weight of the trailer is about 8.8K dry. The truck downshifts in tow haul mode when going over an overpass on the interstate. I was wondering if others are experiencing this when towing. My 2005 Dodge Ram diesel would go up a 5% grade with the trailer without downshifting.

·
1,300 Posts
The trucks are downshifting early mostly because of the emissions. If the truck is slightly bogged down there will be more soot produced and the excessive soot fills up the dpf rather quickly. So with higher rpm there is less nox and not as much soot.

Also the 5.9s in the 05-07s were 325HP 610TQ very similar to what we have, but they had those 5.9s dialed in at that point with a good turbo and common rail. With a Smarty Tuner man were those trucks fun to drive. Stock turbo that could push upwards of 40+ PSI.... Fantastic engine.

My 06 was a great truck to tow with, only issue was everything around the engine failed lol.

Give our trucks a couple more years and they will have things sorted out. Only thing that holds our trucks back is the emissions and everything related to it.

·
41 Posts
See the photos of my hitch setup.

Thanks for the info dragon4X4. I was thinking that if the truck downshifted on such a small hill that when I get to the real grades of 4 & 5% that it would really lower in the gears. Like you said the 5.9 in the dodge was a great truck to pull with.
Before I sold it to my son for his business I had 120K miles on the truck. I had overhauled the transmission with billet internal parts and torque converter. I also replaced the front end parts with Moog and completed a brake job. My son has a good truck for his business.

The only reason I let it go was for some of the new bells and wistles on this Titan. Also, it was my son that has it. I wanted him to have a good truck.

Attachments

·
1,300 Posts
That looks really good Vipor. Nice and clean, what's the model number of that curt hitch??

·
20 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this tow hitch thread. Curt is also making a drop in hitch for the titan xd. The base locks into the gooseneck and the chain mount holes. You pick the head you want, there's currently a choice of 4. The curt hitch doesn't add the extra height the nissan base adds and secures just as well. Capacity ranges from 16k to 20k, which is far more than our trucks can safely pull. I've already ordered one and will add my thoughts when I get it.

Curt Part#'s
Base 16026
A16 head 16520
E16 head 16515
A20 head 16540
Q20 head 16530

·
485 Posts
I just went with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. So much simpler and easier to use/remove/replace......And cheaper too.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts