Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me start by saying I tried doing the same gravel trip with my old titan with way less weight and it about killed it. I rented a 10 ft morritz dump trailer and spread some gravel. I averaged about 3.5 to 4.5 tons of #4 limestone gravel (apx. 28 tons total) for a driveway at our construction site. I made 7 trips back and forth about 15 to 20 minutes each way. Thought it might be a good way to break in the truck and see how it could do... Let me say IMPRESSED... the engine never ran out of power the tow mode down shifted perfectly to slow around corners and held back well while going down hills. The terrain ranged from flat to 12 degree slope. Country roads with no interstate. The truck averaged just about 12 mpg through my adventure today. I seriously don't think any other half ton could have done this as comfortably as this truck. I have been itching to get my camper out and try it out but still to cold. Yeah I could have had a quad axle dump truck deliver the gravel but what fun is that? Still happy with my purchase.

Attachments

·
43 Posts
That's awesome! Great looking truck too. Glad to hear it did what you want it to do. Can't wait to see what the trolls have to say about your adventure today...lol

·
1,300 Posts
Oh I'm sure someone will chime in saying there 2.7 eco joke could have pulled the full trailer but did it with only burning 14MPG lol

Its nice to see someone using the truck

·
570 Posts
Oh I'm sure someone will chime in saying there 2.7 eco joke could have pulled the full trailer but did it with only burning 14MPG lol

No, but it would have had enough payload to do it in 6 trips :grin2:

Nice work Selittvw - the truck looks good.

·
72 Posts
I think the payload on the Eco depends on how much beer is Left in the can? I wonder it anybody's gotten drunk and taken there pocketknife to there new f150 trying to shotgun it like a Budweiser can yet? Lol.
Nice to see a tow report!

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No, but it would have had enough payload to do it in 6 trips

Nice work Selittvw - the truck looks good.
I started asking for 4 tons at the stone quarry as requested by the rental company but at the quarry they loaded me up to 3.5 tons. So I started asking for 5 tons where they were giving 4.5 tons towards the end of the day. Even with the heavy load and curvy roads the tail end of the truck wasn't squirelly. It handled the load quite nicely.

·
56 Posts
I started asking for 4 tons at the stone quarry as requested by the rental company but at the quarry they loaded me up to 3.5 tons. So I started asking for 5 tons where they were giving 4.5 tons towards the end of the day. Even with the heavy load and curvy roads the tail end of the truck wasn't squirelly. It handled the load quite nicely.
The fact that the trailer tires look to be way under inflated, it's even more impressive.

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the tires on the trailer was way underinflated. Upon return I told the rental place to make sure they air them up!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I would say squat is definitely within reason. Considering he is over max tow with no distribution hitch.

·
772 Posts
Nice... i tow 3tons of rock in our dump trailer with my 2011 pro4x at the end of every home remodel, it is definitely not easy and the truck sags like crazy. looks perfect behind the XD though.

·
35 Posts
Well let me start by saying I tried doing the same gravel trip with my old titan with way less weight and it about killed it. I rented a 10 ft morritz dump trailer and spread some gravel. I averaged about 3.5 to 4.5 tons of #4 limestone gravel (apx. 28 tons total) for a driveway at our construction site. I made 7 trips back and forth about 15 to 20 minutes each way. Thought it might be a good way to break in the truck and see how it could do... Let me say IMPRESSED... the engine never ran out of power the tow mode down shifted perfectly to slow around corners and held back well while going down hills. The terrain ranged from flat to 12 degree slope. Country roads with no interstate. The truck averaged just about 12 mpg through my adventure today. I seriously don't think any other half ton could have done this as comfortably as this truck. I have been itching to get my camper out and try it out but still to cold. Yeah I could have had a quad axle dump truck deliver the gravel but what fun is that? Still happy with my purchase.
It looks like that trailer weighs 3500 pounds-ish, and you loaded it with 7000-9000 pounds. So you were towing 10500-12,000 with ease? It sounds like these trucks are being underrated much like the first gen Titan (loved that truck).

·
1,979 Posts
It looks like that trailer weighs 3500 pounds-ish, and you loaded it with 7000-9000 pounds. So you were towing 10500-12,000 with ease? It sounds like these trucks are being underrated much like the first gen Titan (loved that truck).
Keep in mind peoples opinions are extremely subjective. Plenty of comments of people dragging 8k trailers with 1/2 tons & they say "with ease ", that's certainly not a true statement. I have a landscape trailer that I load up to go camping & it weighs maybe 5k, my Titan hates that amount of weight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts