Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're welcome...

http://wot.motortrend.com/2016-nissan-titan-xd-cummins-gets-17-7-mpg-comb-in-real-mpg-testing.html

The 2016 Nissan Titan XD is an all-new model in the Japanese automaker's full-size pickup lineup. In our Real MPG testing, the new Titan XD with the available Cummins turbodiesel engine returned 20.8 mpg combined driving. With a gross vehicle weight rating (GVRW) up to 8,500 pounds, the Titan XD earns an exempt status from the EPA for fuel economy ratings. With that said, these numbers should give owners an idea of what kind of mpg numbers they can expect.

More on Motortrend.com:
2016 Nissan Titan First Look

The Titan XD has max payload and towing figures of "2,000 and 12,000-plus pounds," respectively, making it a heavy half-ton or a light heavy-duty. In testing the Titan XD Cummins returned 15.8/20.8/17.7 mpg city/highway/combined. The new Titan XD is intended to take a piece of the pickup truck pie between the half-ton full-size pickups (Ford F-150, GM/Ram 1500) and heavy-duty three-quarter ton pickups (Ford F-250 SD, GM/Ram 2500 HD).Although the Nissan Titan XD has no direct competitor, we can compare its Real MPG numbers to those of the half-ton Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and one-ton Ram 3500HD Cummins. The Titan XD's 5.0-liter Cummins turbodiesel V-8 is rated 310 hp and 555 lb-ft of torque. The Ram 1500 pickup's available 3.0-liter EcoDiesel turbodiesel V-6 (240 hp, 420 lb-ft) achieved 18.6/25.8/21.2 mpg with four-wheel drive and a Crew Cab body, while a two-wheel-drive pickup achieved 18.3/27.2/21.6 mpg. In comparison a four-wheel-drive 2014 Ram 3500HD Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab with the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel I-6 (385 hp, 850 lb-ft) achieved 14.1/17.6/15.5 mpg.Real MPG hasn't tested a Ford F-Series Super Duty with the Powerstroke or a GM Heavy Duty pickup with the Duramax turbodiesel engines.

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't know why they are confusing the combined numbers and the highway mpg but I gather they mean it gets 20.8 highway and 17.7 combined.

·
107 Posts
The Ram 2500 Cummins gets 24MPG hwy. Better gets better milleage than that!:frown2:

·
49 Posts
I call Bull, something doesn't add up with this article. This maybe the case on a 100 mile old XD just out of the gate. Especially with larger Cummins reporting equal or better numbers!

·
14 Posts
If all other media have been embargoed from releasing this kind of info until 15 Nov, how is motortrend able to do so? Additionally, most review articles at least specify which version they're testing.

This just doesn't smell right.

·
38 Posts
I did a little research on motortrends Real MPG test. Apparently they use a company called intellichoice who does the tests in a partnership with Chevron. Here is their website with info on how they do their test.

http://www.intellichoice.com/real-mpg/how-intellichoice-real-mpg-works.html

The only problem here is that the new titan is not one of the vehicles you can select to view the test results. The new titan is no where on their "newly tested vehicles" link or anywhere else on their website for that matter. I would think motortrend is a trusted source, its just odd that the company they use for MPG testing doesn't have their results up.

·
363 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing the test drive length and pickup configuration. I was thinking it would do a little bit better but maybe that's as good as it gets with the extra capability. Gawd knows the today's emission equipped 2500/3500 diesels have pretty poor mpg.

Hopefully it was a shorter distance test with a prominent regen.

I bet they get their hand slapped for posting fuel economy data.

·
107 Posts
Regen does not affect the mpg, when my jeep regen, it only give 2 more injections per stroke. I will wait for the real mpg. Also dont forget it was motortrend who said the first 25 buyers of the titan xd will receive a special xd edition of the GTR. Bs motortrend!!:grin2:

·
17 Posts
These questionable figures are only an issue because Nissan is being so tight lipped about facts and figures. Other folks are able to put out whatever they want and it will be taken as true...

·
658 Posts
Regen does not affect the mpg, when my jeep regen, it only give 2 more injections per stroke. I will wait for the real mpg. Also dont forget it was motortrend who said the first 25 buyers of the titan xd will receive a special xd edition of the GTR. Bs motortrend!!:grin2:
How could it NOT affect the MPG? The way the regeneration cycle works is by dumping MORE fuel in to the engine during an exhaust stroke to raise the exhaust temps to burn off the trapped particulates.

Read this for more info: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1107dp-dpf-the-time-bomb-under-your-diesel/

·
107 Posts
Awnser from nissan rep,

RE: Nissan titan mpg

Mr. Xxxx, thank you for your email,

Motor Trend does their own real-world testing, which is different from EPA or other agency tests. I can't corroborate their findings, which I read today as well for the first time.

I hope you will consider a TITAN XD when they're on sale this December and thank you again for your note.

Nissan North America, Inc.
E-mail: [email protected]

·
570 Posts
A tad bit lower than expected but it is a heavy truck. Not sure why people expected to get much better mileage because of smaller displacement. It is all about weight, and this truck might outweigh the 2017 super duty

1 - 20 of 71 Posts