Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a dump trailer to get some fresh gravel for the driveway this weekend. I was really looking forward to see how this truck handled a heavy load.

I have a PRO4X diesel with about 2k miles on it now. The first 500 or so miles it felt sluggish - like something was holding it back. Now I don't know if Cummins/Nissan did this intentionally to reduce power for a break in period or what, but I can tell you that the last 1000 miles it has been a night and day driving experience from when it was new. The delay in acceleration from a dead stop (what I had thought might have been turbo lag) is practically gone. The shifts are much firmer and quicker, and I am constantly seeing the traction light coming on when pulling out into traffic. I even had the traction light come on during a 1-2 shift under heavy throttle racing up and on ramp. But anyways onto the towing.

With my last Titan the heaviest load I towed was approx. 8500lbs (car trailer with Lincoln Navigator on it). That truck had the power to do the job well, but the trailer really was working the truck on the interstate. So I went to the gravel pit in my new Titan with this experience being the benchmark.

I pulled onto the scales with the dump trailer for my pre-load weight and was amazed to see that empty with the trailer I weighed in @ 12,400 lbs. Now before I disclose what my post load weight was let me just say that I am not a gravel weight expert and just told them to fill the trailer up. The pit was 40 mins. away from my house and I didn't want to make multiple trips. When I got back on the scales I felt like a might have made a mistake. My post load weight came in @ 26,000 lbs. on the nose. Knowing that my rated tow rating was approx. 11k lbs. I was kind of second guessing my decision to have them just fill it up. If I assume the truck weighs around 8500lbs with me, my wife, and kid in it that puts my load weight @ 17,500 and I had a 40 min drive home.

To be 100% honest the truck definitely new that weight was back there, and I can tell it was really working getting going from a dead stop, but at no time did I feel like I was abusing the truck or that I was asking it to do something it wasn't comfortable doing. On the interstate with the cruise set @ 65 it held speed easily (This is Indiana after all). The chassis seemed comfortable with that weight as well. The truck tracked good on the road and really felt stable as semi's would pass. The single most important thing I felt was the confidence I had in breaking. Granted the trailer had breaks and the trailer brake controller was dialed in good, but the truck stopped incredibly well. For that 40 min. drive I had an indicated MPG of 10.5. I feel like that is respectable for the weight.

Now before all the negative Nancy's want to chime in about how that is so much more than what the truck is rated for and blah blah blah let me just say I am well aware of this. I didn't set out to over load it, but my ignorance on gravel weight got the better of me and in spite of that the truck, I feel, was up to the task at hand. Thought I would share my experience.

·
772 Posts
rock gets heavy quick! especially if they dump a bucket of water on it so they don't get dust complaints.

thats a lot of weight. i've had 10k in my dump trailer on my 1st gen titan. it sucks

now try it with dirt. lol its stupid.

how big is your dump trailer? mines a 10' tandem axle.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a 14' tandem axle. And yeah I was seriously surprised by the weight. Lets just put this into the lessons learned folder lol.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill see if I can find the scale ticket and put it up on here. As they say no pics or it didn't happen.

·
904 Posts
I couldn't control myself from laughing out loud on your post! I rented a dump trailer a while back and think I had like 4.5 or 5 ton on it something like that (i posted a pic on here). That gravel does get heavy quick! I used a 10' dump and it was quite a load for that little guy. Your 14 footer was probably begging for mercy while dumping it. Glad you made it home safely! Did you use a weight distribution hitch or just a ball. I used a drop hitch that I use for my camper and it was set WAY to low and would drag the leg of the trailer if I high centered it or anything. Definitely don't need a drop hitch for that load I am sure truck was squatting for you. Anyway glad you posted and you didn't break your truck and that it handled it well!

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Sellitwv - If anything felt like it was going to fall apart it was definitely the trailer during the dump. The creaks, groans, and pops when dumping were awful. And it was a rental. Shame on me for believing the rental equipment yard boy. I asked him what the weight of the trailer was because the tag on it said 14K GVWR and I didn't want to overload it, he asked me what I was hauling and I told him. His response was "I've filled it all the way up several times with no problems". I'm still wearing my "stupid" sign.

·
904 Posts
Sorry I looked back at my original post looks like I only had 3.5 to 4.5 tons on the dump trailer... Gotta love rental trailers! I will bump my original post from February. There's a pic of the trailer

·
772 Posts
It was a 14' tandem axle. And yeah I was seriously surprised by the weight. Lets just put this into the lessons learned folder lol.
lol. ever seen the roll offs with the line on the side that says only fill to here with dirt.

that line is what not even half way up the side? now we know why:grin2:

I can't believe that thing dumped the rock! mine won't budge when i haul gravel in it.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Picked up a dump trailer to get some fresh gravel for the driveway this weekend. I was really looking forward to see how this truck handled a heavy load.

I have a PRO4X diesel with about 2k miles on it now. The first 500 or so miles it felt sluggish - like something was holding it back. Now I don't know if Cummins/Nissan did this intentionally to reduce power for a break in period or what, but I can tell you that the last 1000 miles it has been a night and day driving experience from when it was new. The delay in acceleration from a dead stop (what I had thought might have been turbo lag) is practically gone. The shifts are much firmer and quicker, and I am constantly seeing the traction light coming on when pulling out into traffic. I even had the traction light come on during a 1-2 shift under heavy throttle racing up and on ramp.
Finally someone posting similar performance gains to what I have noticed. I'm very happy with the performance and economy of mine. It will easily light up the tires.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speaking of lighting the tires I laid down two black marks in the drive way about 15 ft long when I got home from work. Im still a 16 year old at heart and burnouts make my little boy happy.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Speaking of lighting the tires I laid down two black marks in the drive way about 15 ft long when I got home from work. Im still a 16 year old at heart and burnouts make my little boy happy.
I have had numerous discussions on here about the power of these. A brand-new one with no miles on test drive does it no justice. Work one, break it in, learn how to drive it and a completely different animal. I was given a great offer of a deal on a gas xd. As much as I love the 5.6 I can't do it. It doesn't compare to the 5L IMO.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I was kind of nervous about it at first, but made up my mind when buying that I wanted the reliability and towing power regardless of how fast it felt. Needless to say it has been a pleasant surprise how this thing has opened up. In two weeks I'll be taking it to the drag strip for a baseline run before getting a tuner (when a good one come out). Maybe it will be better than the bad times the press have been giving it.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yeah I was kind of nervous about it at first, but made up my mind when buying that I wanted the reliability and towing power regardless of how fast it felt. Needless to say it has been a pleasant surprise how this thing has opened up. In two weeks I'll be taking it to the drag strip for a baseline run before getting a tuner (when a good one come out). Maybe it will be better than the bad times the press have been giving it.

That will be interesting, keep us posted

1 - 17 of 17 Posts