Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change 1500, 2000 or ? miles for oil change? A semi-synthetic 10-30 of course. Is there any Cummins best recommended mileage or time?

·
908 Posts
The truck has an engine oil monitor system that will come on around 10,000 miles. And here are the oil recommendations.

• Engine oil with API Certification Mark, Viscosity SAE

10W-30 (CES 20081) and American Petroleum Institute

(API) certification (API CJ-4, Low Ash Oil).

• Diesel engine oil Specification (Cold Climate)

- 5W-40 oil that meets API Certification Mark (CES

20081) and American Petroleum Institute (API) certification

(API CJ-4, Low Ash Oil) is acceptable for colder

climates.

·
1,979 Posts
Don't mess with it until the monitor tells you it needs to be changed. Also I'd play it safe and let the dealer handle it for warranty purposes.

·
1,265 Posts
Why have dealer do the oil change???

Isn't it OK to just keep all receipts and do the job yourself?

Is there something special about changing the oil on this diesel that I need to know about? I've never owned a diesel, but I would have thought the oil change procedure would be the same.....

Reactions: Jtp

·
1,979 Posts

Is there something special about changing the oil on this diesel that I need to know about? I've never owned a diesel, but I would have thought the oil change procedure would be the same.....
Yes & No, in a unlikely event the motor went & the dealer said it was due to sludge Nissan has in the past denied warranty work even when the owner had receipts, their argument was that " how did we know that oil & filter made it into that truck". When you take it to a shop or dealer they will usually note the License plate number & with 8-10k intervals with normal milage that's only two oil changes a year, it's worth the extra money for the security of knowing there is a paper trail.

·
492 Posts

Diesels generally use different oil. If you choose to do it yourself, check your owner's manual (diesel engine supplement) for proper API SERVICE RATING for your engine and ambient air temperature.

·
1,265 Posts
Doesn't leave me much confidence in Nissan

I was planning to change my oil a little more often than the schedule or oil sensor would like me to do.... I've always used Shell Rotella T6 in all my vehicles and it does meet the oil standards set out in the Nissan manual.

I'm not happy to hear that Nissan would treat a customer who kept all receipts and documentation with such skepticism....

·
1,979 Posts
I was planning to change my oil a little more often than the schedule or oil sensor would like me to do.... I've always used Shell Rotella T6 in all my vehicles and it does meet the oil standards set out in the Nissan manual.

I'm not happy to hear that Nissan would treat a customer who kept all receipts and documentation with such skepticism....
Don't let it freak you out. Seriously though, the computer is very smart on these new vehicles & knows when the oil needs to be changed so trust it. 7-10k oil changes are becoming the norm with every new vehicle.

·
492 Posts

Get a GoPro and make a video :grin2:

·
908 Posts

We had a customer who produced receipts from his garage for oil changes when he had an engine issue. They were hand written on a receipt pad that anyone can buy at any store. And apparently he was the garages only customer for almost 5 years because the receipts were all in numerical order from the pad.

I think you will find most manufacturers are that way now, not just Nissan. There are some dishonest people out there.

·
78 Posts
I worked at a GM dealership for a while in the mid 80's and had a customer come in for a routine oil change.. 20,000 km's (12,000miles) on the car... still had the factory installed oil filter... the dealership made a note of this on the work order and told the customer their warranty was void from that point on

I won't say there are some dis-honest people out there but there sure are a few that don't have two sticks to rub together..

·
6 Posts
5000+ dusty miles and I had the South Colorado Springs deal change mine. No problems and they changed it for free.

·
45 Posts
I just have my engine oil change yesterday by myself and cost me less than $80 with factory engine oil filter and T6 Rotella synthetic 5w-40 oil and take me less 15 minutes working time (not include the time to wait for oil drain.) All I have to remove the plug in the drain pan, the oil filter, and the engine oil cap. The dealers now then sale the services not the cars.

·
705 Posts
Mechanic at my dealership said not to go past 5000 before 1st change. After that said you can go by truck, but still recommends changing more often.

I'd say ur safe to go by what the engineering team that built the truck recommends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
1,614 Posts
Except there not buying them there selling em. But hey its your money do when you want right. Just make sure the engine is up to temp

·
705 Posts
Not sure what motivation they would have to extend the oil change past a safe timeframe, but agree, do what makes you comfy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
507 Posts

You are not hearing they will deny warranty work, you are hearing internet myth
I have never heard of an actual warranty denial for the owner changing their own oil.
I suspect it falls somewhere in there with the old BS about insurance not covering you if load 2 pounds too much weight on your trailer, and you are going to prison for it....

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevents them denying warranty service due to owner doing their own maintenance.
Of course if you forget to put the drain plug back in, drive a hundred miles, then you are on your own,

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

·
20 Posts
Hyundai/Kia tried the oem filter requirement for their late model vehicles. Many owners have been bitten even though they are wrapped up in a lawsuit right now. Most manufacturers just want to make sure that the vehicle has had proper maintenance for any claims. One other plus is that Shell does provide their own warranty for lubricant related failure with proper documentation. Look at their website for specifics but iirc it's 500,000 for synthetic T6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
31 Posts
Hyundai/Kia tried the oem filter requirement for their late model vehicles. Many owners have been bitten even though they are wrapped up in a lawsuit right now. Most manufacturers just want to make sure that the vehicle has had proper maintenance for any claims. One other plus is that Shell does provide their own warranty for lubricant related failure with proper documentation. Look at their website for specifics but iirc it's 500,000 for synthetic T6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there an OEM oil filter available? I bought an oil filter when I picked up my truck and they sold me a Fleetgard, so I went to my Freightliner dealer and got them to order an oil filter from Cummins and the same Fleetgard filter showed up.
I assume that the Fleetgard is the way they (Nissan/Cummins) are going with this.
Personally I'm an OEM guy, I buy Cat filters for my Cats and Detroit filters for my Detroit S60.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts