Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys and Gals,
Just test drove a PR yesterday and I will say that the truck suprised me and disappointed me in a couple ways.
First the good:
Looks are better in person
Paint and body gaps was good
Ride was definitely middle of the pack between half ton and 3/4 ton
Engine was smooth and sounds like music
Transmission shifted smooth
TowHaul worked as designed for grade braking
Seats are wonderful
Brakes are powerful and bring the rig down to a stop quickly
The not so good:
Acceleration was nothing to rave about
Rear doors do not open a full 90 degrees
Rear leg room is not that impressive for the size of the truck
The front drivers seat squeaked when accelerating and braking
Power in 6th gear was underwhelming..taking a good amount of throttle input to get a gear change
Fuel Mileage - Now I started the test drive out by resetting the average and trip. Let the truck warm up and went through my usual acceleration and braking tests to see how the truck performed; netting an average of 14.6 MPG with a 30/70 City/HWY drive.
Stepping out on the highway again and resetting the average and trip, I wanted to see what the beast would do on a rather flat road at 65 mph. After a 23 mile drive loop I had an average of 15.4 MPG.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now .... Overall I was impressed with the truck and do feel that this is a truck that I would cross shop against the big V8 powered 1/2 ton trucks. I would not consider this truck for daily or weekend warrior heavy work. I have owned 4 3/4 ton Cummins powered RAM trucks and the 325/610 motor walks all over this truck in the low end tq department. The newer more powerful offerings from RAM, GM or Ford are simply dominate when it comes to power and capabilities....

Now that is what Nissan was going for and Id say they hit the nail on the head with this package.

Drive one and see for yourself...

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm waiting on a Pro4x and some owner reviews. The price will have to come down on them for me to jump on one. Torn between that and a crew cab ram 2500 Cummins.

·
41 Posts
My superficial impression

:laugh2:
Kinda got lucky in seeing this one. I happened to be in town and figured I swing through the dealer and see if they had stocked any yet. Well they did...almost.
The ONE truck which they had just pulled off the trailer earlier today was already SOLD! Pretty blue Plantinum Reserve.
First impression is it looks like a high dollar ride. The front is huge and flat but not all that bad looking. I haven't liked the pics online before.
The engine just purrs. The interior smelled great and looked spacious compared to my Silverado.
The cons were the price of course ($61,000) and the fact it was sold already! It would have been nice to get a test drive in.
If I had more dollars than cents I'd roll the dice on it, but I really think it will need to earn a good track record before I drive off in one.
Overall though it's a really nice looking truck.

Attachments

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The seat height and distance when I set the drivers seat to my driving position was just bigger than a quad cab RAM. This is due to the longer length on the seat bottoms. That and the fact that the doors do not open a full 90 degrees is a negative for me. Loading my kids car seats and my hunting gear totes would be difficult. I bet Nissan fixes this in the refresh in a few years. Journalists have also complained about this. Check one out and let us know your thoughts.

I'm still on the fence.... Nissan Dealer called me yesterday and we went through all of the pluses and minuses on the truck. He said they are sending this data up to the Engineers for future updates, if possible.

·
772 Posts
current titan rear doors don't open all the way either. its a huge PAIN for construction stuff when you don't want your nice tools stolen outta the bed of the truck.....yet the extended cab titan doors open 180 degrees.

·
904 Posts
We had the salesman in the back yesterday and he looked like an elementary kid back there... He looked like he had plenty of leg room. The suicide doors on my extended can was nice but I have to say crew cab is the way to go

·
3 Posts
Picked up my Black PRO4X 2 days ago. I love this truck. Im a construction worker and pull a trailer almost every day. This thing makes it a breeze to hook up yourself, check lights, and pull with little effort. I know its only been 2 days but my '12 Titan was a great work truck and i have a feeling this one will be a hundred times better.

·
41 Posts
Picked up my Black PRO4X 2 days ago. I love this truck. Im a construction worker and pull a trailer almost every day. This thing makes it a breeze to hook up yourself, check lights, and pull with little effort. I know its only been 2 days but my '12 Titan was a great work truck and i have a feeling this one will be a hundred times better.
Pics or it didn't happen Pappy!:grin2:

·
2 Posts
No cargo capacity

Now .... Overall I was impressed with the truck and do feel that this is a truck that I would cross shop against the big V8 powered 1/2 ton trucks. I would not consider this truck for daily or weekend warrior heavy work. I have owned 4 3/4 ton Cummins powered RAM trucks and the 325/610 motor walks all over this truck in the low end tq department. The newer more powerful offerings from RAM, GM or Ford are simply dominate when it comes to power and capabilities....

Now that is what Nissan was going for and Id say they hit the nail on the head with this package.

Drive one and see for yourself...
One of the big killers of the XD is the lack of cargo capacity. The curb weight of the Platinum is either 7200 or 7300 odd pounds (whether 4x2 or 4x4) and a GVW of 8900 doesn't leave much net cargo capacity. To make the cargo capacity even less, Nissan puts tires on that limits the capacity to 1450 pounds.

It seems to me that Nissan had a great idea for a truck that would competitive in the market and then killed it by limiting the cargo capacity. Sure, the XD has decent tow ratings, but if your truck can't carry the tongue weight of the trailer, you can't legally tow that heavy trailer.

Maybe Nissan will realize their error and fix it. If they don't fix the cargo problem, the XD simply won't compete with other trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts