Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas! did a complete service on the Titan recently; fuel filters and oil filter/oil change (5w-40 Premium blue). had to take my Pace enclosed trailer and Lotus up from Elkton MD to Newton NJ to have the recently rebuilt race crossflow motor installed. since I wasn't going to a race the trailer was lightly loaded (prob only about 6k lbs). round trip was 312 miles. fuel mileage this trip was the best I've ever seen it; 13.8 on the truck computer and 13.4 hand calced. I do always run Optilube additive if that matters. I think that a huge factor in yesterdays fuel economy was that I kept it right at 65 mph (there was fairly high cross winds too FYI) on the highway, which was about 2/3 of the total mileage. the other 1/3 was back roads at about 40-50 mph. on the way there i did get caught in rush hour for about 30 mins with stop and go crawling of 5-10 mph (that probably hurt the fuel milage). there's no doubt that 65 seems to be best for towing fuel economy with our gearing (that's like right at 1700 rpm on my truck with the PR 20s). thats a good compromise of being solidly in 6th gear but not going so fast that the wind resistance of my big 8.5' square tall box makes too much drag. (plus with my trailer I try to keep it at 65 max so that i minimize blowouts. at 70-75 sustained is when i get ALL my flats in the past. anyway very comfortable tow through the large rolling hills and the Cummins seems to be breaking in more and more now. i love this truck for what i do with it!

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
hey fellas! did a complete service on the Titan recently; fuel filters and oil filter/oil change (5w-40 Premium blue). had to take my Pace enclosed trailer and Lotus up from Elkton MD to Newton NJ to have the recently rebuilt race crossflow motor installed. since I wasn't going to a race the trailer was lightly loaded (prob only about 6k lbs). round trip was 312 miles. fuel mileage this trip was the best I've ever seen it; 13.8 on the truck computer and 13.4 hand calced. I do always run Optilube additive if that matters. I think that a huge factor in yesterdays fuel economy was that I kept it right at 65 mph (there was fairly high cross winds too FYI) on the highway, which was about 2/3 of the total mileage. the other 1/3 was back roads at about 40-50 mph. on the way there i did get caught in rush hour for about 30 mins with stop and go crawling of 5-10 mph (that probably hurt the fuel milage). there's no doubt that 65 seems to be best for towing fuel economy with our gearing (that's like right at 1700 rpm on my truck with the PR 20s). thats a good compromise of being solidly in 6th gear but not going so fast that the wind resistance of my big 8.5' square tall box makes too much drag. (plus with my trailer I try to keep it at 65 max so that i minimize blowouts. at 70-75 sustained is when i get ALL my flats in the past. anyway very comfortable tow through the large rolling hills and the Cummins seems to be breaking in more and more now. i love this truck for what i do with it!
I fully agree on the 65MPH range as "best speed" for towing fuel mileage and when in tow mode. RPMs are where they need to be under 2k and XD purrs when under load at this speed. Almost enough to put you to sleep??

·
1,467 Posts
I fully agree on the 65MPH range as "best speed" for towing fuel mileage and when in tow mode. RPMs are where they need to be under 2k and XD purrs when under load at this speed. Almost enough to put you to sleep??
I never use tow mode... it makes the truck downshift way too much and gears are held out entirely too long. Me personally I think it's way too aggressive

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I never use tow mode... it makes the truck downshift way too much and gears are held out entirely too long. Me personally I think it's way too aggressive
Are you diesel or gas?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Primary reason I use the Tow Mode is the engine/transmission braking feature which does not work when not in tow mode.
I really like how I can tap the brakes one time when towing and the engine and trans take over and downshifts start without having to ride the brakes down a grade or when coming to a stop.
I believe this feature is the primary reason I have almost 50k on my XD pulling upwards of 12k all the time and have very very little wear on my front and rear brake pads.
I don't like the "hunting" when in tow mode and cruise when you hit a grade and yes, I agree that to be far too agressive.
I then just take the cruise off and let the foot do the work while still in tow mode so I keep my engine/trans braking feature intact.

·
1,324 Posts
Primary reason I use the Tow Mode is the engine/transmission braking feature which does not work when not in tow mode.
I really like how I can tap the brakes one time when towing and the engine and trans take over and downshifts start without having to ride the brakes down a grade or when coming to a stop.
I believe this feature is the primary reason I have almost 50k on my XD pulling upwards of 12k all the time and have very very little wear on my front and rear brake pads.
I don't like the "hunting" when in tow mode and cruise when you hit a grade and yes, I agree that to be far too agressive.
I then just take the cruise off and let the foot do the work while still in tow mode so I keep my engine/trans braking feature intact.
With what you tow and such low brake wear shows how incredible our truck was built. Excellent brake system and a stout transmission. I regularly use tow mode - engine and tranny braking is excellent. Feels way safer than using brakes.

Good point on cruise - i dont use it on steep grades either.

Do you think use of tow mode would help with transmission temps and wear when say towing over 5k then not?

·
1,467 Posts
Are you diesel or gas?
I'm diesel

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
With what you tow and such low brake wear shows how incredible our truck was built. Excellent brake system and a stout transmission. I regularly use tow mode - engine and tranny braking is excellent. Feels way safer than using brakes.

Good point on cruise - i dont use it on steep grades either.

Do you think use of tow mode would help with transmission temps and wear when say towing over 5k then not?
I believe so personally. Everything I've been taught and experienced over the years with automatic transmissions tells me (when towing) the longer we hold our gears under load before reaching operating speeds decreases "lag" or "drag" on clutches, and keeps both engine and transmission operating RPMs at peak performance, thus increasing transmission fluid flow for cooling effect.
When the transmission shifts "too fast" under load we make the transmission work harder to compensate for gaining or maintaing speeds and create, what I believe to be a "lugging effect"
Just like a diesel engine, we don't want to overdue the operational RPMs and speed but we don't want to "under do it" either.
I'm not sure not towing in Tow Mode, in reference to the Aisin, would hurt it much if loads were light and infrequent but I wouldn't want to test that theory with a guy who was running a hot shot setup or such.

·
274 Posts
I use tow mode all the time when towing with my Cummins. Probably the thing that annoys me the very most is when it down shifts in traffic too soon. I hardly ever use cruise control while towing and I lock it out of gears as I need while pulling hills etc. I would much rather keep it in a lower gear longer than have my transmission hunt.

I wish they would have put the shift buttons on the steering wheel so I could reach them more comfortably while driving. My seat position makes it so I have to lean forward slightly to reach the shift knobs at their current location.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I use tow mode all the time when towing with my Cummins. Probably the thing that annoys me the very most is when it down shifts in traffic too soon. I hardly ever use cruise control while towing and I lock it out of gears as I need while pulling hills etc. I would much rather keep it in a lower gear longer than have my transmission hunt.

I wish they would have put the shift buttons on the steering wheel so I could reach them more comfortably while driving. My seat position makes it so I have to lean forward slightly to reach the shift knobs at their current location.
Shift buttons on the steering wheel is something I could sure get behind.....or having "Alexa" do it for me with voice commands?.
It was a little awkward managing my shift points when starting to come down the Ike in Colorado. I didn't think about that until you just mentioned it but yes...it's awkward.

·
19 Posts
Well for you guys out there this is Danny my 2017 Nissan Titan XD diesel does very well average 10 from 11 to 12 mi to the gallon towing and 9000 lb travel Turner which I pretty much do all the time for work and then when I'm dead heading back to Indiana from California it averages between 19 and 25 depending how hard I put my foot in it I normally Drive 7580 all the time and it does very well compared to other people that I've talked to the have Dodge Chevy and Ford right now with the gear setup that the Nissan has switches to 391 rear ends it's perfect anybody that wants to complain about that set up then you don't know what you're talkin about I use a fuel additive all the time which I use Mistral I put it in the diesel and that's all I used and it does help improve your fuel mileage I've already have replace the air filter with a K&N performance filter and that does help a little bit but my truck is four by two I don't have 4-wheel drive I bought a knesset SV model for my two straight no four wheel drive option and for you guys out there complaining about the toe I would use it all the time unless you want to destroy your transmission and burn it up it's designed to tow haul for a reason you do not want to let the tranny shift at lower RPMs and then you're lugging the engine and you're forcing your transmission so it will get hot quicker and you're forcing your tranny more especially in heels especially on flat ground it really doesn't matter but when you're in the Hills you want to control it either manually or you let the computer do its job make sure you do not use the cruise control when you're doing Hills because she will downshift real quick I try to keep mine and 5th gear when I'm in heels and keep it around 60 miles an hour and it will maintain it pretty well if you learn how to play with your foot paddle right now I just did my oil change I have 45000 miles and change in the mileage has improved quite a bit compared from what I was getting when I got it the truck and for the for you guys out there that don't know too much about the regen system when you drive the truck in the city a lot make sure you take it out for 20 mile run at least at 70 miles an hour so the regen system will clean up do not let it idle and do regen too much because that is bad for the engine and bad for the system people don't realize when the truck does regen on his own any access access fuel left in the system normally ends up in your crankcase in the oil and if you read up on what regions downfall is that's one of them another thing for you guys out there something to keep an eye out for if you get any white residue on your Fender from the exhaust it is normal I've talked to the dealership several times and talked to the mechanics and they say they all do it it is nothing that hurts your region system or hurt your engine or hurt your truck it is it's the way that we can sometimes works because depending on atmosphere and temperature outside when it burns off so just clean it up make it look nice and Keep On Truckin to me the truck is been a great truck so far I haven't had any issues I'm on my second set of tires I got 45,000 miles before I hit the wear bar on my original tires so I replaced them with the Firestone Transforce tires and hopefully I can get 80000 miles out of that set I will keep you guys informed on how that works out I might end up putting a Cummins computer programmer on the truck don't know yet they say so far that it's the only programmer on the market that improves your fuel mileage in city and Highway but I'm still looking around and reading and researching others are talking about when it comes to Nissan's

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys! day before yesterday I did a 260 mile tow in super hot (90++ deg) conditions with my new-to-me 24' Featherlite enclosed trailer and Honda racecar from Fairhill MD up to Newark NJ and back. mostly highway miles but got caught in some rush hour traffic a couple times too. AC blasting with seats cooling too (I'm so lucky that I haven't had any of the AC issues that i've heard about; this truck will freeze you out of the cabin if left on high fan AC setting!). this Featherlite is much taller and wider and longer than my old Pace was; fully loaded I'd put it around 8-9k lbs (its got a big generator and fuel tanks up front plus AC and a winch and built in SS worktable and cabinets and stuff. its my dream trailer! I'd never have been able to afford it new but i found it used and snapped it up). anyway I got 12.9 mpg roundtrip running at or about 5 over the speedlimit on the highway (when not caught in gridlock haha). that's about 1 to 1.5 mpg worse than with the smaller Pace enclosed but I think that's mostly due to the additional wind resistance of this taller bigger trailer. here's a pic of the rig at last weekend's vintage races with VRG at NJMP Thunderbolt racetrack (you can see my Lotus Super Seven in the backround). trailer pulls real nice but even with the load leveling bars I think I want to limit the rear sag a couple more inches so I'm considering the Timbrens setup. this is the perfect truck to pull this length and weight trailer in my opinion. feels fantastic on the road!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts