Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
94 Posts
I really don't like some of those power comments... I'd rather test drive one before deciding against it but with all the information being put out it's not looking good...

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will wait for a thru review too. But i don't like how this truck rev going up. I like towing below 2500 rpm.

·
658 Posts
With Mr truck! This truck seem to struggle with 9500 pounds!:surprise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UuapeHgag
I noticed that "Mr Truck" kept asking for a 12,000 lbs trailer, and specifically a gooseneck. Well, Mr truck, I don't think you're gonna get it with that Platinum Reserve they've got you driving there.... He also kept alluding to 13-14k lbs eventual rating. I bet he's disappointed now too. I'd like to see his comments on the ratings.

·
51 Posts
Mr. Truck was complaining about the lack of power upon initial acceleration. It's a turbo diesel! Turbo requires some spinning before enough power is built up to move quickly. That's why if you've ever watched the street racers with turbo engines, they two-foot it and get the turbo up to speed then take off like a rocket. They boost when they are under a load too. It was already discussed that the XD powers up after 20mph. If you want a fast truck of the line, this isn't going to be it. This is a towing truck and it looked to me to be handling that load just fine.

·
363 Posts
I don't see the truck struggling with the load at all... did I miss something?
I've seen a couple online/video reviewers who own HD pickups and tow with them. They expressed disappointment with XD acceleration even when not towing.

Personally I'd opt for more capability and fuel economy but I understand the truck shouldn't expect to accelerate well while towing if it doesn't accelerate well when not towing. Hopefully I made sense out of that.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I've seen a couple online/video reviewers who own HD pickups and tow with them. They expressed disappointment with XD acceleration even when not towing.
Then that's their own fault for not appreciating the truck for what it is. When it comes to acceleration, it only has 310 horsepower. That isn't anything spectacular. I did expect the 0-100kmh time to be a few seconds faster, but it makes sense that it's not going to be a racecar with that much weight and limited horsepower.

Now listen to how mean the ISV sounds during acceleration, once it gets going, and imagine what a tuner is going to do with that.

·
8 Posts
If he said it was struggling for power why on earth would he ask for and be pretty persistent on getting a 12K trailer? Maybe he was being sarcastic?

·
65 Posts

The 2016 Nissan Titan XD is a towing machine. In this TFLTruck Talk video we almost tow with the new Nissan Titan.

·
31 Posts
The TFLTruck video sure doesn't make Nissan look good. Wouldn't let the reviewers drive the truck, wouldn't let them look in the trailer and didnt compare against the F-150 EB engine. At best a marketing mistake.

·
16 Posts
The truck weighs 7400 lbs, it's not going to be quick like the regular Titan that weighs 5200 lbs. It's a heave truck, it will take a lot of power to get the beast moving.

·
9 Posts
The fact that Nissan chose to use the 5.0 F150 in this comparison test is telling me they're afraid to pit it against 3.5 ecoboost model... Of course a 5.0 turbo diesel will outperform a 5.0 naturally aspirated gas motor towing. And I was honestly surprised that it took it that long to pull ahead of the Ford & after seeing that I would put money on a 3.5 max tow ecoboost stomping the titan xd up the Ike gauntlet... Kind of bums me out as I had much higher expectations of this truck...

Reactions: Furousbudy

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
The fact that Nissan chose to use the 5.0 F150 in this comparison test is telling me they're afraid to pit it against 3.5 ecoboost model... Of course a 5.0 turbo diesel will outperform a 5.0 naturally aspirated gas motor towing. And I was honestly surprised that it took it that long to pull ahead of the Ford & after seeing that I would put money on a 3.5 max tow ecoboost stomping the titan xd up the Ike gauntlet... Kind of bums me out as I had much higher expectations of this truck...
I think people on the outside are looking at it from your perspective.

However there is an important point in the video, that the Titan XD never left 3rd gear. The ISV was designed to replace gasoline V8 engines and this was a demonstration against the market leader gasoline V8 that the ISV can do the job better and use less fuel.

I think a good number of us already know the ecoboost wrinkles the pavement behind it on the way up the hill, so a demonstration where the ecoboost passes the ISV is not going to highlight that the ISV isn't working as hard to climb the hill.

When you're pulling a load it's not who gets to the top of the hill first, it's climbing the hill safely and confidently. The rule of thumb is, don't go down a hill faster than you can go up the hill. If you follow that rule of thumb the F150 will get you into far more dangerous situations than the Titan XD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts