Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

first report my 5.6 gasser MPG

15K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  huZZah 
#1 ·
hi there,

had my 2018 SV gas for 3 weeks. still in happy phase with it. the ride is so smooth and cabin is very quiet. haven't towed anything but got break-in completed (1000km)

combined fuel eco 15.8L/100km (~15mpg). mixed highway + some bumper to bumper traffic everyday during rush hour commuting to work, dropping off kids to school. i don't heavy-foot it neither baby it.

Given this is a 6400lbs truck and I also get plenty of acceleration when needed, i think this is a pretty good number.

as agreed by most of gasser owners the only thing is Nissan should have made the fuel tank 25% bigger.

Jim

#7 ·
Hi Jim, any updates to this. We pick up our 18 XD gas this coming Monday. Going from an F150 to this so expecting it to drink more fuel but hoping it’s not too bad....

hi there,

had my 2018 SV gas for 3 weeks. still in happy phase with it. the ride is so smooth and cabin is very quiet. haven't towed anything but got break-in completed (1000km)

combined fuel eco 15.8L/100km (~15mpg). mixed highway + some bumper to bumper traffic everyday during rush hour commuting to work, dropping off kids to school. i don't heavy-foot it neither baby it.

Given this is a 6400lbs truck and I also get plenty of acceleration when needed, i think this is a pretty good number.

as agreed by most of gasser owners the only thing is Nissan should have made the fuel tank 25% bigger.

Jim

#9 ·
Nearing 800 miles on my 5.6 and I've been averaging about 13.8 in suburban area commuting. Haven't done much highway cruising yet. Really didn't want to anyways as the break in recommendations are a mixture of speeds.
I am preparing to do some towing snowmobiles soon.

#11 ·
My 2005 and then my 2010 Titans (5.6 gas motor) used to get 14-16 in town and if I was behaving around 18 on the highway. Sometimes it seemed it didn't make any difference what my driving habits were, just kept getting the same mileage numbers. Seeing that the updated notor makes more power I think it's great that the mileage didn't get worse. More power from the same amount of gas, good deal.

I'm betting you'll see a bit of improvement after a few more thousand miles as well.

Keep On Truckin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I've never met a truck owner who said "They just put too big a tank on this truck, I sure wish it was smaller and held less fuel"

In fact, short of seriously sweating every extra pound of weight on my race bikes, I'm hard pressed to think of a single occasion when I wouldn't have liked to be carrying more gas.

But you gotta face the fact that buyers also bitch about heavier curb weight, or the extra plumbing and electrics/pumps for a second tank, or the shape the vehicle had to be to accommodate a bigger tank, or the extra cost for material, and if you've never seen the aftermath of an accident with one of those old trucks that carried fuel outside the frame rails you should count yourself lucky.

Despite it taking a few minutes out of my travel time I actually welcome the need to take a stop, get out of the seat and pump some gas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Just took a 600 mile highway trip. Averaged about 16. One stretch of 200 miles saw near 17.
I am now at 2,200 miles. Hoping to see it rise a bit after the first oil change.

#13 ·
I'm nearing on 9,000 miles and have consistently been getting 14-16 in suburban/rush hour traffic. Unfortunately, my MPG still says 11 from towing probably 1/3rd of my total miles.

When I've taken highway trips without towing, I've gotten anywhere from 18-24. However, that 24 was going from Hill City, SD to Rapid City, SD with no wind. If anyone has driven that, you'll know it's probably 70-80% downhill.

Reactions: Carbide
#16 ·
I changed to a high moly, high zinc content SN 0W-20 motor oil. ENEOS Racing Street 0W-20 (the name is a bit miss leading). My avg MPG is up to 17.1 in very mixed driving. This is an increase from 15.8 MPG using Pennzoil Platinum. High moly oils are what the Japanese auto makers all use. JX Nippon Oil's - ENEOS Racing Street 0W-20 and Idemitsu's ZEPRO Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 are high moly oils.

High moly and zinc oils help control wear and reduce friction - and the 5.6l engine uses a lot of gears and chains, and is know to be tough on oil, so reduction in wear and friction is a very good thing.

Attachments

#17 ·
I changed to a high moly, high zinc content SN 0W-20 motor oil. ENEOS Racing Street 0W-20 (the name is a bit miss leading). My avg MPG is up to 17.1 in very mixed driving. This is an increase from 15.8 MPG using Pennzoil Platinum. High moly oils are what the Japanese auto makers all use. JX Nippon Oil's - ENEOS Racing Street 0W-20 and Idemitsu's ZEPRO Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 are high moly oils.

High moly and zinc oils help control wear and reduce friction - and the 5.6l engine uses a lot of gears and chains, and is know to be tough on oil, so reduction in wear and friction is a very good thing.
Zinc not bad for the catalyzer? or is that just the diesel ones?

#21 ·
I have a 2018 and I get 11 plus MPG. I have talked to two different dealer service people and both said "it is what it is". Not happy with that. It seems to wind out the gears on take-off, down shifts when coming to a stop, holds rpm when you let off the gas. I think its stuck in tow/haul mode. When I turn on the tow mode nothing seems to change. Other trucks I had would at least drop a gear or two going 70, not My Titan XD tach stays the same when you push the button. Dealer won't even look at it. With the small gas tank I'm sick only getting 220 miles out of a tank. The 11 mpg is combined. I did fill up and drove all highway and got 11.8 mpg...….Wow. What should I do? I like My truck but.....OMG!

#22 · (Edited)
Just gonna cover bases here: Tire pressure affects my gasser big time. Like, letting 68-70psi drop to 60 will shave 1.5-3mpgs off.
Driving habits is the major one. When I grandmother it I don’t notice much difference, but driving like when I was 16 kills it around 5mpg. Easy. Driving normally mostly city, mostly 50-55 up and down hill I average 13-14.5. I also notice going 65-68mph instead of 75 (ok 79) helps A TON.
Idling really affects it too. Drive-through, waiting to pick up my kids, idling while hitching trailer. I always notice a drop.
Cold weather, probably air resistance and lower consistent tire pressures, also drops it 1-2. Adds up.
When I’m in a hurry...yeah easily drops average 3-5 for the tank. Puts me below 11 usually. Especially if I’ve been in a hurry on the highway.

But the gear down shifting sounds like tow/haul. although when I hot rod around it always seems to jack with the auto shifting and it seems confused.

#23 ·
I am getting 13.4 - 13.6 in mixed driving. I do have a Pedal Commander set on City +2. I've gotten between 15-17 miles on hour plus long trips that are 50% stop and 50% highway cruising.

#24 ·
When I don't "try" to "pussy foot" the gas pedal, I average 16.7 so often that I wonder if the display is stuck there. I have gotten as much as 19.2 on a tank (above 5000 ft altitude and NOT using cruise control). This is NOT a light truck and it has the aerodynamic profile of a brick but the biggest issue with MPG is gonna be YOUR foot. Imagine a raw egg between your foot and the pedal. Or buy a 2 door KIA.

#25 ·
Well, here you go. Got gas today cause I was right next to a station. Real world mpg is 13.3. Truck said 14.1. Forgot to get that pic...

Typical for tank of daily driving. I think I hauled the trailer empty for maybe 1/2 mile and back 1 time. I included my tire pressures cause it shows the ambient temp. Ignore the cruise speed...I was totally not driving when I took it...must be a bug in the system.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.