Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
207 Posts
Looks like fun! Did the locker come in handy? Or no need for it?

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Locker didn't help there but I was stuck in a different spot and locked it in and she crawled out just wish you could engage it in 4hi 4lo got so much torque u break wheels loose and it sinks

·
203 Posts
Locker didn't help there but I was stuck in a different spot and locked it in and she crawled out just wish you could engage it in 4hi 4lo got so much torque u break wheels loose and it sinks
That is a feature that doesn't make sense to me. On my f150 I can lock the rear diff in 2wd if I want. I wonder why Nissan does this? I think the power wagon is the same way.

·
772 Posts
if you have better tires the locker works great in most instances. used mine a couple weeks ago on steep slippery hills.

lol i guess in general better tires then factory solves most stuck problems, regardless of using the locker or not.

·
10 Posts
That truck is too clean! Stuck and no mud slung on the fenders? I guess new tires are on your wish list. Philip.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes truck hauls good prob around 1500lbs I hauled a ton of bagged coal on a pallet and was surprised all the more it squatted when I hauled a ton on my tundra it was sketchy bumper was almost dragging the ground lol

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phillip I was trying not to sink the truck by not slinging mud lol,after I took picture I tried getting out again and sunk down to the rear axle as far as tires go yes mud tire would of been better but I actually think the stock tires on the pro-4x are one of the best factory sets I've seen on a vehicle

·
169 Posts
Makes no sense to me and yes powerwagon and jeep rubicon I had a rubicon and believe it also had be in 4lo
I would assume the idea is that people aren't running around locked.

If one were to lock the rear diff and be driving around every day, about the first time it rains or snows and is even slightly slick, they go around a corner locked and they're going for a ride. And also locked on dry pavement puts a lot of wear on them and chatters and such around corners. So restrict locking to 4-lo makes sense.

I could see times where it would be beneficial to be able to lock in 4-hi though.

·
772 Posts
Is the rear diff open or LSD?
well if its nissan logic they call it a LSD via the ABLS or whatever, but in reality its an open diff. one tire fire all day.

I would assume the idea is that people aren't running around locked.

If one were to lock the rear diff and be driving around every day, about the first time it rains or snows and is even slightly slick, they go around a corner locked and they're going for a ride. And also locked on dry pavement puts a lot of wear on them and chatters and such around corners. So restrict locking to 4-lo makes sense.

I could see times where it would be beneficial to be able to lock in 4-hi though.
exactly. like doing u turns on dry pavement in 4wd....bye bye front tires

its an easy wiring job to have the locker work whenever you want though. my bet is its the same thing as the 1st gen titan locker mod.

·
1,300 Posts
Ya I would think there is a simple mod to change the locker to go in while 4 hi and even 2wd.

Also 99% of lockers do release while turning to keep windup down so daily driving on it is not the end of the world... Unless you buy a lock right lol those never worked properly cheap 2 spring design.
My crawler(87 4runner) had Detroits front and rear on 37s and I never had an issue with the rear end it was fully locked in 2wd.

·
430 Posts
Ya I would think there is a simple mod to change the locker to go in while 4 hi and even 2wd.

Also 99% of lockers do release while turning to keep windup down so daily driving on it is not the end of the world... Unless you buy a lock right lol those never worked properly cheap 2 spring design.
My crawler(87 4runner) had Detroits front and rear on 37s and I never had an issue with the rear end it was fully locked in 2wd.
No, they don't release, hence the name locker. If you've ever tried to turn while backing you would know that. Maybe you're calling a LSD a locker.

·
1,300 Posts
No, they don't release, hence the name locker. If you've ever tried to turn while backing you would know that. Maybe you're calling a LSD a locker.
DUDE your Nuts! Go learn something... A Locker will unlock while turning to keep drive line windup down.... If they dont unlock they will detonate and take everything out there Designed to unlock, than they lock back up when your going straight again.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-locker/index.htm

Detroit Locker

The Detroit Locker is a 100%-automatic locking differential that provides ultimate traction for mild to extreme vehicle applications. Its unique, bullet-proof design is engineered to keep both wheels in drive mode - even is one wheel is lifted off the ground.

Operation
During straight-line driving, the Detroit Locker captures 100% of available torque and sends it equally to both wheels. In turns and maneuvers, the internal components unlock to allow one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary (free wheel). When the vehicle returns to a straight-line driving path, the components re-engage and provide power to both wheel ends.

Going in Reverse doesnt change a **** thing.

If you have a SPOOL or a Welded Rear end yea they stay locked 100% and do not unlock and your tirse chirp around corners.

Go youtube something so you can learn... seriously !!

·
492 Posts
DUDE your Nuts! Go learn something... A Locker will unlock while turning to keep drive line windup down.... If they dont unlock they will detonate and take everything out there Designed to unlock, than they lock back up when your going straight again.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-locker/index.htm

Detroit Locker

The Detroit Locker is a 100%-automatic locking differential that provides ultimate traction for mild to extreme vehicle applications. Its unique, bullet-proof design is engineered to keep both wheels in drive mode - even is one wheel is lifted off the ground.

Operation
During straight-line driving, the Detroit Locker captures 100% of available torque and sends it equally to both wheels. In turns and maneuvers, the internal components unlock to allow one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary (free wheel). When the vehicle returns to a straight-line driving path, the components re-engage and provide power to both wheel ends.

Going in Reverse doesnt change a **** thing.

If you have a SPOOL or a Welded Rear end yea they stay locked 100% and do not unlock and your tirse chirp around corners.

Go youtube something so you can learn... seriously !!
While I don't always agree with Scorpian, I must agree this time.
The Electronic Locker in the Titan locks the axles together just like they are welded. It is not an automatic locker like the Detroit. The Electronic Locker does not release when you turn, because it locks the spider gears together to keep them from allowing any kind of differential action from one axle to the other. I have an E-Lock differential in my 2004 Titan. I will assure you that it is the same as a straight axle when locked. The guys who do the lock mod (which is done by sending 12 volts to the magnetic coil in the diff via a toggle switch), do it only for the traction while drag racing in a straight line. If you lock it and drive it around corners on the dry pavement, you will eventually break something.
I broke the spider gears in my original diff just out of warranty, and luckily I found a used differential to replace it with. On the differential that I received, the E-lock activation switch had been removed and reinstalled on the wrong side of the steel locking plate that moves towards the spider gears. Because of this, the switch pushed the locking plate toward the spider gears and effectively locked the differential. I had to remove the switch and cut the mushroom shaped head off of it so that it didn't push on the plate.
Before I cut the switch, during the initial test drive around my neighborhood after the new diff was installed, I could barely drive the truck due to the locker being engaged as described above.
Go find a Titan with an E-Locker and try it yourself. They do not unlock in corners. It is impossible for them to release due to the design. They are nothing like a Detroit locker.
Or, I could be wrong like Scorpian and I should get all of my information from YouTube because that is where all of the expert advice resides.:wink2:

PS You can't reinstall the indicator switch without removing the diff carrier, that is why I had to cut the head off of the switch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts