Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We'd like to put out an introductory offer to all Titan XD owners in the US. As mentioned in our intro in the Vendors Forum, we've got a hood protector as well as side window visors for the Titan. For a limited time we'd like to offer a hood protector for $100 shipped anywhere in the US (except Hawaii and Alaska). If you'd like a set of side window visors, we'll put them in the same box as the hood protector and sell you the package for $150. This is a savings of close to $50 if these items were purchased and shipped separately.

Apologies to our Canadian friends as we're not allowed to sell this product in Canada. You'll have to visit your friendly Nissan store to buy them.

Something else to consider...considerable savings on shipping cost can be realized by shipping more than one item in a box. If you get a group of people together and ship to one destination, you'll save even more money.

Since our website is undergoing some changes right now, please email our customer service directly at [email protected] to buy yours!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure would be nice if you could get rid of the round clips on the front... I do like the window shades tho.
Removing the round pins would create an inferior product as it would attach with 2-sided tape only. There are enough of those on the market already...:wink2:

·
194 Posts
Removing the round pins would create an inferior product as it would attach with 2-sided tape only. There are enough of those on the market already...:wink2:
I dont see why you can mold the pins into the under side of it, thus keeping the top visible surface clean and smooth....

·
88 Posts
That type of material is not meant to be structural. If you try to mold any type of clip out of it, it will snap the first time you bump it in cold weather. I'm pretty sure in raw form it comes as a sheet and formed into shape, not liquid poured into a mold.

·
82 Posts
What polymer is the hood protector made of? Are you starting with a sheet and thermoforming? Injection molding would be far too expensive to manufacture and sell competively.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont see why you can mold the pins into the under side of it, thus keeping the top visible surface clean and smooth....
See below for your answer...

That type of material is not meant to be structural. If you try to mold any type of clip out of it, it will snap the first time you bump it in cold weather. I'm pretty sure in raw form it comes as a sheet and formed into shape, not liquid poured into a mold.
Correct. The material is formed from flat acrylic sheet.

What polymer is the hood protector made of? Are you starting with a sheet and thermoforming? Injection molding would be far too expensive to manufacture and sell competively.
Most of our parts are thermoformed from cell cast acrylic sheet. We do injection mold one of our side window visor applications but it is a high volume part and we felt it was a good opportunity to experiment with injection molding. You are quite correct, unless you're making thousands of parts, injection molding is not economically viable in North America. Many of our competitors are injection molding their product off-shore where the costs are much lower. We like more control over quality so prefer to keep as much in-house as possible.

·
119 Posts
Why do folks buy these window awnings? Smokers who can crack the window a bit in the rain? Does the nose piece offer any aero windshield protection, doesn't look aerodynamic enough to?

·
194 Posts

So why not use something like ABS? It can be theromformed just as easily... and it would support adding a mechicale pin to the underside quite easily. Plus it has better impact resistance to rocks in the cold too. Granted ABS isnt clear but if you are tinting it black anyways..... Just curious.

·
82 Posts

Most of our parts are thermoformed from cell cast acrylic sheet. We do injection mold one of our side window visor applications but it is a high volume part and we felt it was a good opportunity to experiment with injection molding. You are quite correct, unless you're making thousands of parts, injection molding is not economically viable in North America. Many of our competitors are injection molding their product off-shore where the costs are much lower. We like more control over quality so prefer to keep as much in-house as possible.
That makes sense. Acrylic will give you great weatherability, although polycarbonate would give you unbeatable impact yet the weatherability wouldn't be quite as good unless you stabilize it. Curious as to why you would choose cast sheet however? I'm in the industry... I may have some good sheet sources if you're interested.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do folks buy these window awnings? Smokers who can crack the window a bit in the rain? Does the nose piece offer any aero windshield protection, doesn't look aerodynamic enough to?
People buy side visors for many reasons, one of which is what you mentioned. On the west coast thousands of cars and trucks have them...

We call the "nose piece" a hood protector because that is its principle purpose. In some markets (our local market included) the amount road debris is very damaging to the leading edge of the hood. We make no claims as to any aero or windshield protection benefits.

So why not use something like ABS? It can be theromformed just as easily... and it would support adding a mechicale pin to the underside quite easily. Plus it has better impact resistance to rocks in the cold too. Granted ABS isnt clear but if you are tinting it black anyways..... Just curious.
How would you add a mechanical fastener to the underside of a piece of ABS that would be any different than adding the same to a piece of acrylic? Our hood protectors are made from black acrylic and are opaque. The side visors are grey tinted acrylic.

That makes sense. Acrylic will give you great weatherability, although polycarbonate would give you unbeatable impact yet the weatherability wouldn't be quite as good unless you stabilize it. Curious as to why you would choose cast sheet however? I'm in the industry... I may have some good sheet sources if you're interested.
Acrylic can be polished so scuffs and scratches can be removed. Polycarbonate can not. We were injection molding our side visors from polycarbonate and had huge issues with scuffing. We needed to go to cell cast sheet because its dimensional stability is more consistent and the thickness of the material is more consistent. We tried extruded sheet and it didn't work. Our thermoforming molds don't have the tolerance for sheet thickness variation.

We appreciate the offer on sourcing acrylic. We bring it in by the container load and are one of the largest importers of sheet acrylic in Canada. We might be able to supply you with some? :wink2:

·
194 Posts
How would you add a mechanical fastener to the underside of a piece of ABS that would be any different than adding the same to a piece of acrylic? Our hood protectors are made from black acrylic and are opaque. The side visors are grey tinted acrylic.
ABS will support instalation of screws. Acrylic is too brittle....

·
82 Posts
People buy side visors for many reasons, one of which is what you mentioned. On the west coast thousands of cars and trucks have them...

We call the "nose piece" a hood protector because that is its principle purpose. In some markets (our local market included) the amount road debris is very damaging to the leading edge of the hood. We make no claims as to any aero or windshield protection benefits.

Acrylic can be polished so scuffs and scratches can be removed. Polycarbonate can not. We were injection molding our side visors from polycarbonate and had huge issues with scuffing. We needed to go to cell cast sheet because its dimensional stability is more consistent and the thickness of the material is more consistent. We tried extruded sheet and it didn't work. Our thermoforming molds don't have the tolerance for sheet thickness variation.

We appreciate the offer on sourcing acrylic. We bring it in by the container load and are one of the largest importers of sheet acrylic in Canada. We might be able to supply you with some? :wink2:
"Attached" fasteners would be difficult to do precisely with thermoforming anyway, and that IS the process that makes most sense.

Good points on the polishing, I hadn't considered that. I'm surprised you couldn't find extruded acrylic sheet that would hold tight enough tolerances though.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in the sheet business. I'm actually a color concentrate manufacture and supply most sheet producers as well as acrylic manufacturers. :wink2:

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We found the extruded sheet had different shrinkage, depending on extrusion direction. This makes patterning, arraying and thermoforming difficult because you have to always consider the direction of extrusion. This is not an issue with cell cast. Our target is a little waste as possible and being restricted by extrusion direction doesn't help us.

·
50 Posts
Email sent for order.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts