Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
While I appreciate you taking the time to find this I really believe this is jsut serious overkill in your part buddy. I think its important to understand these issues but the level that you go to here is in many ways the reason why we get a bad name. To much nitpicking causes a lot of unnecessary bull withthe community and the service department. Address your concern but don?t make into a show.
"We" as in who? Are you a tech? When I pay $60k for a truck and it's showing issues that are clearly not indicative of a properly functioning part, why would you not want it changed for one that's not going to fail and piss oil all over the road when the shaft seal fails inconveniencing me on the road with family on board. The guidelines are .004 in the "SERVICE" manual set forth by Nissan for this truck. It's clearly out of tolerance, excuse me for wanting to diagnose the issues myself. How dare I make a mockery of all things holy in the truck parts supplier realm (yes loads of sarcasm) Come on, really???

I have helped my techs and service departments out immensely during the coarse of owning this truck. Guess who started the campaign for the fuel tank breather...yeah (they said my truck was the one that they started the tech-line on, no joke) or how about sitting down and driving with an engineer contributing to calibration changes who then forwards reports to cummins for updates to the ECU and TCM. I hate tooting my own horn, but closet nerds such as myself love to dig and find out how and why things tick. My service department appreciates the great lengths I go through (I hope) because it makes their job easier on the diagnosis end and they can focus on other customers' vehicles.

Who would they rather have, someone who brings a vehicle in and says, "it doesn't drive right", or "its making this sound, but I don't remember what it was"....or would they rather have it isolated down so all they have to do is verify and just order the part. The obvious is clear. Heck, I'd gladly swap the parts myself! I also moonlight as an 18yr licensed A&P mechanic (Boeing 7 series, rotary wing, and military assets), so I may have a slight problem with things being out of spec...it's a curse really;)

I'm that guy that if your flying with me and I say "uh oh", be worried! Sorry off topic, but just don't shoot the messenger, a bad part from stock is a bad part from stock...happens in aviation, doesn't mean you should ignore it because your worried about giving the ground crew extra work:wink2:

Besides, this isn't making the techs look bad at all, the ones I work with have been awesome, not their fault it's not correct, they can only go off the info they have at the time or conditions permitting. My truck has been a shining example regarding "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" since owning it. I'd never fault anyone at the dealer for the issues, it's a new platform for all involved. I've been incredibly patient and appreciate the hard work they have put into making this truck right for me. I hope they always remember that!

If by somehow me thoroughly explaining how I came to my conclusion is a show, I apologize, I figure folks like details and humor.

·
769 Posts
"We" as in who? Are you a tech? When I pay $60k for a truck and it's showing issues that are clearly not indicative of a properly functioning part, why would you not want it changed for one that's not going to fail and piss oil all over the road when the shaft seal fails inconveniencing me on the road with family on board. The guidelines are .004 in the "SERVICE" manual set forth by Nissan for this truck. It's clearly out of tolerance, excuse me for wanting to diagnose the issues myself. How dare I make a mockery of all things holy in the truck parts supplier realm (yes loads of sarcasm) Come on, really???

I have helped my techs and service departments out immensely during the coarse of owning this truck. Guess who started the campaign for the fuel tank breather...yeah (they said my truck was the one that they started the tech-line on, no joke) or how about sitting down and driving with an engineer contributing to calibration changes who then forwards reports to cummins for updates to the ECU and TCM. I hate tooting my own horn, but closet nerds such as myself love to dig and find out how and why things tick. My service department appreciates the great lengths I go through (I hope) because it makes their job easier on the diagnosis end and they can focus on other customers' vehicles.

Who would they rather have, someone who brings a vehicle in and says, "it doesn't drive right", or "its making this sound, but I don't remember what it was"....or would they rather have it isolated down so all they have to do is verify and just order the part. The obvious is clear. Heck, I'd gladly swap the parts myself! I also moonlight as an 18yr licensed A&P mechanic (Boeing 7 series, rotary wing, and military assets), so I may have a slight problem with things being out of spec...it's a curse really;)

I'm that guy that if your flying with me and I say "uh oh", be worried! Sorry off topic, but just don't shoot the messenger, a bad part from stock is a bad part from stock...happens in aviation, doesn't mean you should ignore it because your worried about giving the ground crew extra work:wink2:

Besides, this isn't making the techs look bad at all, the ones I work with have been awesome, not their fault it's not correct, they can only go off the info they have at the time or conditions permitting. My truck has been a shining example regarding "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" since owning it. I'd never fault anyone at the dealer for the issues, it's a new platform for all involved. I've been incredibly patient and appreciate the hard work they have put into making this truck right for me. I hope they always remember that!

If by somehow me thoroughly explaining how I came to my conclusion is a show, I apologize, I figure folks like details and humor.

Geez, wish you had the poor trans shifting. Would have had my truck fixed by now!! Sorry not wishing stuff on you just wish there was someone like you working on my problems....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
226 Posts
Geez, wish you had the poor trans shifting. Would have had my truck fixed by now!! Sorry not wishing stuff on you just wish there was someone like you working on my problems....

Have you had the newest seat belt recall done? It has some kind of way programming built into it. After that recall my truck shifting is fixed! Finally!

·
769 Posts
Have you had the newest seat belt recall done? It has some kind of way programming built into it. After that recall my truck shifting is fixed! Finally!

Yeah, took it in for that 2 times lol Didnt have the parts the first time but did do the update.. and just like the ecm tcm updates worked really well for like a week.... then the trans shifting just goes slowly right back to the way ot was. So, i called them and they said the tech said oh, it takes 10k miles to learn. I was like i was im not a mechanic but ive have had cars for over 30 years now, and had lots of cars that learn your driving patterns. And just no, no way in **** it takes 10k miles to learn anything. Been to 2 different dealers, going to a third soon. I just dont have any hope for it anylonger. The one trans update i know was a 2 part update.. software and driving segment. I watched him update the trans then go park it. I was like ummmm thats not complete. They didnt care... gotta love it. And the problem now i told the last dealer about the update needs and they took it in looked on the computer saw it had been “completed” and did nothing. With big smiles told me oh we have seen trucks way worse than yours!! I said you drove it 10 feet to the bay? How would you know? No pride of workmanship anymore.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Yeah, took it in for that 2 times lol Didnt have the parts the first time but did do the update.. and just like the ecm tcm updates worked really well for like a week.... then the trans shifting just goes slowly right back to the way ot was. So, i called them and they said the tech said oh, it takes 10k miles to learn. I was like i was im not a mechanic but ive have had cars for over 30 years now, and had lots of cars that learn your driving patterns. And just no, no way in **** it takes 10k miles to learn anything. Been to 2 different dealers, going to a third soon. I just dont have any hope for it anylonger. The one trans update i know was a 2 part update.. software and driving segment. I watched him update the trans then go park it. I was like ummmm thats not complete. They didnt care... gotta love it. And the problem now i told the last dealer about the update needs and they took it in looked on the computer saw it had been “completed” and did nothing. With big smiles told me oh we have seen trucks way worse than yours!! I said you drove it 10 feet to the bay? How would you know? No pride of workmanship anymore.

My truck had the same intermittent issues with the transmission. My range selector harness on the driver side (forward left connector staring at the side of the trans) above the trans oil pan wasn’t even clicked in since I’ve owned the truck. It was literally half out! Certain bumps and even temperature fluctuations would cause an intermittent fault, not enough to trigger a communications fault, but enough to piss off the TCM because it lost the gear position. I too had the flash updates, it worked for a bit, then reverted back at random. Make sure everyone slides under their trucks who have this issue and check the harnesses around the transmission, make sure they are firmly secured and locked in. Caused me a year and a half of grief, and now it works like a champ! Unfortunately these transmissions have a long relearn and that’s making sure you maintain aleast 55mph for just over 3miles at operating temp before a learning event can even start (als assuming you not in tow mode or in regen). Couple that to the fact the modulating turbo arrangement in these trucks don’t make it easy to really nail down the torque inputs and load conditions for the TCM quickly, there is a lot of data it needs to create a baseline shift strategy, line pressure curves, torque convertor lockup strategies, etc.. So while most wont need 10k miles to average (smooth or normalize) the map, it depends on your driving habits and does take a few thousand miles in varying conditions to form an all around good “feel” shifting program.

I agree that since the age of electronic diagnosis that if folks don’t see a CEL or some idiot light, there isn’t a problem. There are some older wiser techs (or tenacious younger folks) that take troubleshooting further and really get to know vehicles systematically, but sadly that is becoming tougher to find them with the want to go further into the problem. A lot of it is the service dept timelines and the customer base. Most folks want the vehicle fixed yesterday and get pretty nasty when it’s drawn out longer than they think it should take. Modern vehicles such as these that utilize Controller Area Network have incredible error correction in data streams with excellent diagnostic capabilities, but they are moving beyond times of mechanical knowledge in the training aspect and are more and more leaning in to electrical engineering and IT type methodologies. It’s hard for a guy (including myself) to come from years of injection pumps, carburetors and timing lights, to ECU/TCM tuning/mapping and systems electrical theory. It’s the same for aviation, mechanical fuel governors for engines are now being replaced with (FADEC) Full Authority Digital Engine Control. Gone are they days of fuel pilots and shim stacks, enter the world of 1’s and 0’s, Pulse Width Modulation, piezo injectors, and linear servos/valves. So now more than ever our automobiles are increasingly more complex, it’s just growing pains in this digital world. I have faith though...look at me, I try to learn new tech every day to stay current in my fields, it’s tough to keep up, but I’d never be at this point if I didn’t have a love for the complex and seemingly unsolvable;)

·
769 Posts
My truck had the same intermittent issues with the transmission. My range selector harness on the driver side (forward left connector staring at the side of the trans) above the trans oil pan wasn’t even clicked in since I’ve owned the truck. It was literally half out! Certain bumps and even temperature fluctuations would cause an intermittent fault, not enough to trigger a communications fault, but enough to piss off the TCM because it lost the gear position. I too had the flash updates, it worked for a bit, then reverted back at random. Make sure everyone slides under their trucks who have this issue and check the harnesses around the transmission, make sure they are firmly secured and locked in. Caused me a year and a half of grief, and now it works like a champ! Unfortunately these transmissions have a long relearn and that’s making sure you maintain aleast 55mph for just over 3miles at operating temp before a learning event can even start (als assuming you not in tow mode or in regen). Couple that to the fact the modulating turbo arrangement in these trucks don’t make it easy to really nail down the torque inputs and load conditions for the TCM quickly, there is a lot of data it needs to create a baseline shift strategy, line pressure curves, torque convertor lockup strategies, etc.. So while most wont need 10k miles to average (smooth or normalize) the map, it depends on your driving habits and does take a few thousand miles in varying conditions to form an all around good “feel” shifting program.

I agree that since the age of electronic diagnosis that if folks don’t see a CEL or some idiot light, there isn’t a problem. There are some older wiser techs (or tenacious younger folks) that take troubleshooting further and really get to know vehicles systematically, but sadly that is becoming tougher to find them with the want to go further into the problem. A lot of it is the service dept timelines and the customer base. Most folks want the vehicle fixed yesterday and get pretty nasty when it’s drawn out longer than they think it should take. Modern vehicles such as these that utilize Controller Area Network have incredible error correction in data streams with excellent diagnostic capabilities, but they are moving beyond times of mechanical knowledge in the training aspect and are more and more leaning in to electrical engineering and IT type methodologies. It’s hard for a guy (including myself) to come from years of injection pumps, carburetors and timing lights, to ECU/TCM tuning/mapping and systems electrical theory. It’s the same for aviation, mechanical fuel governors for engines are now being replaced with (FADEC) Full Authority Digital Engine Control. Gone are they days of fuel pilots and shim stacks, enter the world of 1’s and 0’s, Pulse Width Modulation, piezo injectors, and linear servos/valves. So now more than ever our automobiles are increasingly more complex, it’s just growing pains in this digital world. I have faith though...look at me, I try to learn new tech every day to stay current in my fields, it’s tough to keep up, but I’d never be at this point if I didn’t have a love for the complex and seemingly unsolvable;)

Doing my oil change this weekend. Will check the connections then.

·
291 Posts
So now more than ever our automobiles are increasingly more complex, it’s just growing pains in this digital world. I have faith though...look at me, I try to learn new tech every day to stay current in my fields, it’s tough to keep up, but I’d never be at this point if I didn’t have a love for the complex and seemingly unsolvable;)
Very well said.

There is a divide in the experience bridge between the era's.

There are those of 'old school' thought process, those who use experience and system knowledge to diagnose and solve a problem, hands on, with direct results from an action.

Now we have a new generation (children of the magenta), who, albiet very good at what they do, who have no experience, or patience of the old ways of doing things. There is either a procedure, or there is not, black and white. Computer based, either functions, or it doesn't, call in tech support and offload your problem to the next level.

Whats missing are those wih the ability to operate in both realms effectively. Hence, the issue with finding good, qualified techs for a new product line, with the able to diagnose and fix our issues.

Im extremely thankful there are people like yourself willing to dig indepth, as it benefits the group as a whole with magnitude, however unfortunate, some don't appreciate the effort. But some of us certainly do.

Hats off to you.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A picture of this connector showing where it actually is when looking at it - that would be awesome.
Red arrow is the Range selector harness (Black connector), Blue arrow is the main TCM harness (Gray connector) make sure they are clicked and secured.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update:

Decided to wait a while on having the shop replace the steering box. Even though it's bad by definition, no point of swapping a new one on there since it's not leaking yet. I know it's a risk, but I figure I can rack up a few thousand miles on it yet before its replaced saving wear on the new replacement getting me more mileage on the steering gear for the long haul. The steering rattle/clunking is annoying as heck, but an annoyance that I can live with in the name of the greater good, which is my bottom line;)

·
13 Posts
Folks,

One thing that has bothered me from the start it the steering rattle/clunking in the steering column while turning left slightly or just tooling around in a bumpy parking lot. So I decided to take matters in my own hands. Had the wife sit in the seat while holding our daughter and turned the wheel back and forth with the front wheels pointed slightly left of center. You can clearly hear the clunking. Everything from the column down to the universal at the steering box was tight. So were the idler and Pittman arm joints, as well as tie rod ends...all zero slop. Then I got a closer look, the dang lower mainshaft from the steering box is walking about .030 of and inch side to side (verified by a dial indicator). Not enough to start leaking because the seals are new, but still not cool. So clearly the bearing preload wasn't correct or the machining is off. Gonna chat with the service department tomorrow and see what they can get ordered. Explains why some folks had no luck with column swaps, apparently it's in the steering box.
My truck was bought back for this issue. They've since replaced the power steering and reprogrammed it. I bought it and drove it 2100 miles in a week and it's pretty nice overall. I do feel some jerky shifting from time to time, but nothing major.

·
3 Posts
Update:

Decided to wait a while on having the shop replace the steering box. Even though it's bad by definition, no point of swapping a new one on there since it's not leaking yet. I know it's a risk, but I figure I can rack up a few thousand miles on it yet before its replaced saving wear on the new replacement getting me more mileage on the steering gear for the long haul. The steering rattle/clunking is annoying as heck, but an annoyance that I can live with in the name of the greater good, which is my bottom line;)
Hi. I have the same issue. The clunky and is getting worse and my steering play is a bit loose. Did the issue go away after you fixed it. What’s the cost? You have pictures?

·
2 Posts
Hi. I have the same issue. The clunky and is getting worse and my steering play is a bit loose. Did the issue go away after you fixed it. What’s the cost? You have pictures?
I had mine in for it too, 2018 XD Platinum Reserve 34,000 miles.,. They replaced the steering column . Found a bent ubolt in the old one. Problem was back within weeks. It is back in the shop. Waiting to hear.

·
4 Posts
Went thru same issue.....replaced the steering column first (was sent back to Nissan apparently for them to analyze?)....Clunking never got better, went back in and they replaced basically everything coming out of the steering box....Keep at them, hopefully they get it fixed. Truck is driving fine now, no clunking even on full lock over uneven surfaces. Hopeful it stays this way...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts