Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I Have a few questions for you...
But First I will give an idea about my needs about my work truck...

I Have now a Ram 6.7 cummins 2011 and I really love how the truck pulls vs capacity vs mpg, but the front end issues is a nightmare for me it cost me 8000$ last year and I still have 5000$ in fixing fees for the next month.
I put 1500-1800lbs in the bed everyday(tools and other stuff for my working on the road). So once or twice a month I need with all that stuff in the bed to tow a 6000 pounds-8000 pounds. I roll 90 000km every week. So Ibought my Ram 2011 used 3 years ago at 45 000km and I have now 315 000km. My truck leave me 3 times stuck on the side of the road even with all the maintenance I did on the truck. I'm tired of that and I always loved nissan, and the new Titan with cummmins could be an answer to my prayer lol!

First concern: Do you think guys this truck will handle safely the two times a month I tow with my stuff on the bed?

Second Concern: Cost of maintenance: The dealer said to me it's 499$ here in Canada for the oil change and the 2 fuel filters and these two filters need to be replaced every single oil change(16 000km). This means for 90 000km/year I will have to spend around 3000$ Juste for fuel filters and oil change. Is it true? It make no sense for me. Even more I saw the maintenance scedule sheet from nissan canada and they ask prestone every 72 000km, trany fluid every 36 000km, front, rear axle every 40 000km...
Seems really excessive for a guy like me... I took a look to the new gmc duramax 2500 for comparaison and they asked prestone every 200 000km, axles 80 000km, fuel filter around 50 000km etc...

Third concern: MPG, What I should expect from the Titan based on you guys already bought one? On my 2 test drives the Titan looks like have the same mpg like my Ram(But my Ram is fully dpf-egr delete and have a better mpg than stock 6.7) But i'm not sure...

Last concerns: I read here a few stories about guys had issues and Nissan dealer just don't have the tools or the staff right trained to solve the issues. And I need my truck in good working order every day, that's the main reason I want to leave my Ram... So, Should I wait a year or 2 more to buy my Titan that nissan have more time to trained everyone and fix issues?(The dealer where I test drive my Titan didn't have a single filter in stock for the cummins)

I test drove a Titan Xd SV privilege and a 2500 GMC Sierra duramax, I must admit the sierra is faster but the cummins in the titan seems have more torque at lower rpm. I really loved the Titan my wife to and more than the gmc. But maybe if can't answer to my concerns I will have to look at Gm to be safe for the next year...(GMC is the same price than the Titan for me because I Have a national discount on the GMC from the business I subcontract for).

Glad to share our experience here!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Where in Canada are you? My dealer is a little over $100 for an oil change.
Nissan is out too lunch for some of the service requirements I would further talk to your dealer.
You are going to be on the high end or over payload capacity with what you need to do.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yeah its no fancy oil or filter. Fuel filters are a little costly from the dealer but some are finding them online alot cheaper.
In my opinion the xd can easily handle your need, but it's low printed payload number could hamper things.

·
917 Posts
Nissan retail on the fuel filters in Canada is around $145.00 each. So add two filters and labour to replace them and you would be around the $500.00 quote.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Ouch I haven't even checked out dealer pricing on the filters yet. I have a good friend thats a diesel mechanic i will just get off him. But i did see them online for $30 or so.

·
214 Posts
Bienvenue sur le forum.

90000km per year is a lot of driving! I hope you're incorporated and able to to right off your truck as an expense!

Like atc said, internet parts will be cheaper than the dealers. If you keep your receipt, they can't void your warranty.
Call a Cummins dealer in your region to check if they have the parts. I'm sure Cummins didn't create a specific fuel filter just for the XD.

You can also play dumb, pay msrp and ask for free maintenance for 4 years, just make sure they don't put a max km clause...

As for your towing question:
tongue weight on your trailer should be between 10% to 15% of 6000 to 8000lbs, so that's anywhere between 600 to 1200lbs.
The max payload is around 2400lbs. With between 1500 to 1800lbs already in the bed, the answer would be between yes and heck no. ;-)

In a nutshell, unless you can move part of the payload in the trailer when towing, you'd be driving over the truck official numbers.
You should make a trip to the weighing station to confirm your payload and tongue weight numbers.

·
658 Posts
Actually, an SV GVWR minus the curb weight leaves you with less than 2,000 lbs (1,950 ish) for a 2wd and less than 1,900 lbs (1,850ish) for a 4wd. So, there is no doubt you will be over the load ratings given the scenario above.

Will then truck handle this weight in real applications? Some people here say yes. Will it handle it legally? No, it won't. Some people might call it foolish to buy a new truck that they know is under rated for a load they know they will be carrying(at least semi regularly). If the GM can handle it (or more) within its ratings, has better tow ratings, is cheaper to maintain, AND doesn't cost you more.... I think you already have your answer. Just my 2 cents.

·
1,979 Posts
No, you need to Stay in a 1 ton. Sounds like to me you need to get a 100k mile extended warranty and replace your truck every 3 yrs. The XD is a light/medium duty truck designed for weekend warriors.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for all the replies,

Yes i'm incorporate and my truck is a big expense but it's also what I need if I want income in my business!

I really love the Titan but like many of you said with my needs it's a no brainer I need something bigger can handle working all day long...

·
169 Posts
What in the world are you paying $8000 for in the front end, and an additional $5000 coming????

I can replace the entire frontend many times over for that....I realize it's Canadian pricing but still, you're being bent over the table again and again.

You're easily over payload if those are realistic weights you've typed. Now, could it handle it? I don't know, I've not seen an XD with 2000lbs in the bed....

Nissan says no. So one could expect a nose-high stance and then you can get into squirrely handling and on the extreme side of the spectrum, unsafe handling.

·
573 Posts
1800 lbs in the bed plus 800 lbs of tongue weight? Titan XD is probably not the best truck even if it is only occasionally. I agree that you should stay in a 3/4 ton 1 ton SRW. Sucks you had such bad luck with the Ram, but every vehicle has
there problems. Most gas 3/4 tons would give you enough payload and still have enough power for that trailer. The mpg will be lower, but you will avoid a lot of the headaches of owning a modern diesel.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What in the world are you paying $8000 for in the front end, and an additional $5000 coming????

I can replace the entire frontend many times over for that....I realize it's Canadian pricing but still, you're being bent over the table again and again.

You're easily over payload if those are realistic weights you've typed. Now, could it handle it? I don't know, I've not seen an XD with 2000lbs in the bed....

Nissan says no. So one could expect a nose-high stance and then you can get into squirrely handling and on the extreme side of the spectrum, unsafe handling.
Simple as that:

Started 11 months ago by:

1-stuck on the side of the road: steering box cracked and oil on the ground...
Cost me steering box and 2 upper tie rod= 1200$

2-4 ball joint upper needed excentric= done by myself and my new ball joint press= 1000$(lifetime warranty ball joint)
3-4 disc+ Pads + emergency brake shoes+ 1 caliper+ 4 caliper pin= done by myself= 1500$
4- 2 front wheel bearing=(lifetime warranty) 600$ done by myself
5- 2 front u-joint= 160$
6-upper tie rod replaced in step one above: broke in two pieces leave me another time on the side of the road when I was in the north of Canada for working= towing+tie rod+ alignment=1000$
7-(it's not front end but it's in the front lol)Engine begins limp mode: Fan clutch electric side grounded ecm... weird ground issues...Happens away from home job done in a local dealer... 800$
8-2 Battery=(not front end still in the front) 400$
9-Front end begans growling...seems as a wheel bearing but more like a turbine sound espicially when I decelerate, can't find by myself, dealer asked me to replace my front bearing, but growl still here after...(cost me 500$)
10-Another dealer asked me the same thing(replace both front bearing but for oem parts and 2 U-joints) I refused= cost 300$ in time

Total:6860$= and I done a lot by myself... I must admit I overestimate a bit...for the 8000$

Now I brought my truck for the growling turbine sound to the local tranny shop=pinion and ring showed wear, at 300k km I will let them replace and rebuilt all the front diff= 2500$ and i'm not willing for doing the job cause I don't have the bearing puller for pinion and don't know how adjust the back lash...

Power steering pump leak and power steering rad...... I'M not in the way for doin it myself, cause I don't have the puller for power steering pulley.. so the dealer ask me 2500$(Maybe I could buy a puller on amazon and doin it for 500$-750$)

That's my nightmare year with my Ram! Never again!

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you could put your payload in a trailer, you'd be ok.

Good luck
I would like but I can't; my payload is tools and parts for the things I fix on the road. My trailer is 20 feet long flat bed, and I don't wan't to be robbed. Trailer is for concrete block when I need it and 8'X39" aluminium box.

Thanks for your reply

·
169 Posts
Yeah sounds like you've been battling stuff. Some trucks have issues and some don't, that's all makes too though. Bummer to hear.

I just pictured a dealer taking you for a ride a couple times and wasn't making sense. Was just curious. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts