Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second P4X Titan XD, 2017, 50K miles on it, gasser. Both of my P4Xs (other was a 2016 Cummins) seem to have (and had) some front end suspension noise when hitting bumps at low speed (or it is only noticeable at low speeds). Lots of "thumps" or what seems like "rattles" when I hit bumps in the road - when going straight, not on turns. If I didn't know better, I would think that my shocks are worn out by what it sounds like, yet at 50K I don't believe that to be the case. Front tires wear perfectly fine. The noise is only on bumps, not when driving smooth. Just doesn't seem as tight or as quiet as it should be. Drove my buddies older Tundra and his didn't do it. But both of my P4Xs have had the same rattle/noise. My other thought was it sounds like brake pad slop or something. Just really strange. I had a 2" level kit on the 2016. I had the same level on my 2017 but just had the 3/1RC kit professionally installed recently. No difference between stock, 2", and the 3/1" RC kit in terms of the noises - all been the same. I've read about the wiper issue, but it just doesn't seem like that would be it.

So my question to everyone is - when you hit small bumps at low speeds, do you get any noise like a rattle or sound like the struts are bad (even if you know they aren't)? Suggestions on where to start? I've read the other threads on rattles and I've checked the basics. Just very annoyed by it - seems like it shouldn't be making this much noise.

Open to suggestions.

·
56 Posts
Not sure if this is gonna help but. I had a rattle kinda sound only on small bumps and thought it was my skid plate. It turned out it was my hood. Screwed the little bump stops out a little and no more noise. There is know way I thought this would have been the noise on my P4x but there are several older post on the hood making this sound on small bumps. Hope his helps.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I've already done the hood bump check/mod. Forgot to mention that. I've also checked the skid plate and skid plate connections. Also checked the air box to make sure its not rattling. I have not checked the windshield wiper common issue others have seen. Just looking for every and all suggestions.

·
1,021 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've already done the hood bump check/mod. Forgot to mention that. I've also checked the skid plate and skid plate connections. Also checked the air box to make sure its not rattling. I have not checked the windshield wiper common issue others have seen. Just looking for every and all suggestions.
Check the top hat nuts on the strut tower. I had mine make noise when they backed off like a half a tune.

There is 3 nuts where you front strut comes through the coil bucket.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the nuts on the struts, all tight.

What I did find is the front brake calipers have a little wiggle in them. I tightened up the bolts (which weren't loose, but I torqued them some more). I could still wiggle them a little. So I decided to test the theory on the brakes. Went for a test ride where there are bumps that cause the rattle, but did a little 2 foot driving to slightly ride the brakes. Rattle seems to have gone away when riding the brakes. So I think its the brakes rattling when I hit bumps.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed, definitely brake pad rattle. No rattle when on the brakes, rattles when not on brakes. Super annoying.

·
1,021 Posts
Confirmed, definitely brake pad rattle. No rattle when on the brakes, rattles when not on brakes. Super annoying.
They shouldn’t really need replacing at 50k, however I’ve seen crazier things before lol.

Maybe some brake pad grease on the back side of the pads would take some slop out of them and/or prevent rattle? About $2 for a tube at your local auto parts box store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts