Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Fuel at 1/8th of a tank. decreased engine power

10K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Spillman123 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, let me start off by saying I am a first time diesel truck owner... I just ran into a problem today. Low fuel warning light came on. Said 68 miles left until empty on dash. Was running straw through a straw blower on 9 percent grade. Went to accelerate up the hill. And ... Nothing... Engine would only idle. But not rev up. Happened twice today at 1/8th of a tank. Turned truck off back on and was fine both times. So went and got fuel and was fine rest of the day blowing straw. I am guessing but I think I lost fuel pressure due to the low fuel in the tank... Just a guess though. Any thoughts? Never had a problem like this with gas engine. Lesson learned to all diesel rookies. Don't run truck less than a quarter of a tank I guess.

#2 ·
Good to know. I have a habit of filling the tank when I reach 1/2 tank just because only 25% of the stations around me carry diesel so I like to be prepared. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Same concept as my daily carry handgun.

#4 ·
Very possible there is an issue with the sending or gauge. When you got fuel did you fill it right up? If so how many gallons did it take to fill it? If it was at an eighth of a tank should have taken around 22.5 gallons to fill it if my math is correct. [ Beer goggles are currently on]
If the figures are correct than it might have an issue with the fuel pick up.

#8 ·
While it does sound like a possible problem, it could also be some sort of engine protection program. Unlike gas engines which don't have as much of a problem with running out of fuel, it is not good for a diesel to run low or totally run out of fuel. Any air that happens to be sucked into the fuel lines will cause the engine to not start/run. If you run out if fuel in a diesel, usually you have to have it towed to a mechanic unless you have the tools on hand to re-prime the fuel lines.

#9 ·
The XD is self priming.

Purge the air out of the fuel system after refilling a

completely empty fuel tank by the following procedure:

1. Turn the key ON for 90 seconds to prime the

fuel system. After 90 seconds, crank the

engine for a maximum of 30 seconds or until

the engine starts. If the engine does not

start, repeat this step.

2. When the engine does start, it may operate

erratically and with increased noise levels for

a few minutes. This is a normal condition as

air is being removed from the system.

#11 ·
Maybe one of the xd owners could try and recreate this situation. The mileage on the dash shows between 60 and 70 til empty. You will have just about an 1\8th of a tank left. If you come to a stop going up a hill (might take a few tries). The truck won't accelerate up the hill. I didn't know if it was a diesel thing or not. So knowing it's not makes me a little concerned. I mean truck wasn't on "E" and not running on fumes. I would expect it would have a better chance of acting like this if it said 1 mile til empty?

#13 ·
Ive been at that level or lower the three times ive filled the truck so far. I live in a hilly area and havent noticed anything like that.

That being said i have noticed hesitation in taking off from a dead stop a couple of times, but that didnt happen on a nearly empty tank.

#17 ·
Sorry to bump this back up, but just wondering if anyone found any solution to this?

I am looking to buy an XD in the next few weeks, and during my overnight test drive, I got this error while towing my trailer when low on fuel. I can't say I noticed any decrease in power, but want to make sure this isn't something that I am going to have to worry about as I do a fair amount of towing.

#18 ·
Haven't had this come up again since this post. Bringing our 25 feet airstream home today I actually drove the truck into the no miles left til empty and nothing happened and I was able to fill up. We had a hard time finding a diesel station in the area we were and I was sweating... Put 24.5 gallons in it so it must have been running on fumes

#19 ·
Bump for Nissan_crawler this is the situation I had early on. Haven't had this happen since but I haven't run under 1/4 of a tank either. Will be getting my truck in for recall soon. Hoping to have my block heater installed the same day... it is still on backorder.

#20 ·
there is a recall addressing exactly the problem you describe that involves a vent cap, a vent tube and the gauge and related components.. Nissan is recalling 12,000 trucks for this issue ... contact your dealer asap .. it is a good practice to not let your tank get below the 1/4 point on the gauge especially until the dealer resolves the recall issues ...it is not a, "diesel thing" .. KEEP IT FULL MAN !!! XXX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.