Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck's deleted, and I'm considering a Mishimoto 180°F thermostat after reading many threads on the subject. My only question for the guys that have installed this after deleting: is your fuel milage any different? If so, by how much?

Some random information on the truck to help us compare:
-2016 PR diesel, deleted
-130,000 miles
-Coolant is Rotella ELC NF
-Oil is synthetic 5w-40 changed every 5k. I use either Rotella T6, Volvoline Premium Blue, or Mobil Delvac. Depends what Tractor Supply has in stock. Filter is a Rotella made for a 5.9/6.7 cummins.
  • I average 30,000 miles per year mixed with highway and city driving, with occasional towing. I live in the southern United States.
  • Living close to sea level, 70mph unloaded gets me about 20 miles per gallon. 60 mph will get me 23-24 miles per gallon.

·
392 Posts
Just did mine, nothing is going to change your fuel mileage. I’ve been on a fuel mileage kick for a month or two trying to get the best mileage possible. I’ve swapped between tunes, pedal commander settings, drove like a 90 year old lady and the best in town mileage I can get is 16 lol.

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's about what I get in town with red lights. I can do get up to 24 at 55mph if I get lucky and miss ever single red light. I'm mainly interested with highway milage, since the truck accumulates most of it's miles from that. If it the colder temperatures don't compromise fuel consumption, then I'll most likely buy the thermostat in a month. Hopefully by then I can get some more input on this thread.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
838 Posts
Higher engine temperature is more efficient. You put a cooler thermostat in, you're reducing engine efficiency.

My tank averages are ~ 12L/100 right now. which is ~19usmpg.

my fuel logs: line 96 of the input tab was the last fillup with the dpf. economy has been all over the place as I experiment with tunes, but at least the first three fillups after deleting are with the 0hp tune I had bought. All the rest are mine.

·
838 Posts
Just drove from louisiana to florida on interstate at 70, no change
I think trying to calculate economy changes from using a different temperature thermostat would be splitting hairs. Like turning down the water pump impeller to pick up a tenth in the quarter.

That’s why I’m so against changing the thermostat… it’s slightly more efficient stock, making it’s something that isn’t worth the effort to change.

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps I should spend my money elsewhere. Thank you both for the input. @NavyCuda, I read your recent response in another thread regarding the Mishimoto thermostat, and you seem to make a better argument then just comparing our engines to older diesels and their temperatures.

·
392 Posts
Perhaps I should spend my money elsewhere. Thank you both for the input. @NavyCuda, I read your recent response in another thread regarding the Mishimoto thermostat, and you seem to make a better argument then just comparing our engines to older diesels and their temperatures.
There’s a reason navycuda is blocked by everyone on here, he thinks he knows everything about this truck and he doesn’t. He makes a mountain out of a mole hill. I’m sorry but I’m not having a engine that’s not under load running upwards of 220*, that’s fucking stupid, you don’t have to be a genious to know that

·
838 Posts
There’s a reason navycuda is blocked by everyone on here, he thinks he knows everything about this truck and he doesn’t. He makes a mountain out of a mole hill. I’m sorry but I’m not having a engine that’s not under load running upwards of 220*, that’s fucking stupid, you don’t have to be a genious to know that
You again prove you have no idea what you’re talking about. If you were talking about an unpressurizing cooling system you’d be right, but the model A hasn’t been made in nearly a century.

You clearly do not understand how the cooling system works, or why.

·
791 Posts
Beside the fact that the Mishimoto low temp vs. factory thermostat at a higher temp, I had it installed on my '17 PR 5.0. I did not see any change in fuel consumption. However, I had the Mishimoto failed on mine as the rubber seal degraded and cracked, caused coolant leak. I changed back to factory and it's been good so far. After I threw the Mishimoto thermostat away, I realized it carries life-time warranty. LOL

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oof. Too bad you didn't keep the trash one to claim the warranty. I've never heard of somebody having a bad seal with them, so you probably got an anomoly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts