Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already changed my fuel filters twice and today just did my third fuel filter change. This time I ran into a problem....
I was under the truck and opened the fuel drain on the filter housing and had a large container under there to catch the fuel that was draining out....
I got up and went into my workshop for a rag and got distracted... When i went back under the truck, the container was nearly full...about 1/2 a gallon of fuel. And, it was still draining slowly, but steadily...

I decided to do the change and spun the filter housing off with a socket. Now fuel was really coming out fairly steadily.... I quickly removed the old filter, put on new o-ring and put the housing back on...

Between what I had drained into the original container and what I lost into my drain pan, I figure about a gallon and half of fuel drained out....

This never happened before. I did run the truck earlier in the day, but I waited 2 hours before starting on the filters. I also had a full tank of fuel...not sure how much fuel was in the tank during my first two filter changes....

Why did i have this problem????

·
142 Posts
Probably just natural syphoning, because the tank is full. My Dodge would do that when the tank is full.

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next fuel filter change I'll wait till I'm near empty I guess if that is the case.... That does seem odd though.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Bikerndiver
How many miles do you change your fuel filter how did it look
I drain the water separator every other fill up
have not even found a teaspoon of water

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I change my filters every oil change... Might be overkill, but I hate being stuck on the side of the road. I have 30,000 on my truck now. Bought it on April 22nd...

·
1,437 Posts
Any issues with that front filter inner seal...or am I just a failure. I was warned about it and still messed it up.

·
430 Posts
it would be awesome if someone would post a fuel filter tutorial with some tips and advice, as there are a lot of new titan owners who are coming up on that 10k mark.

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No issues with the filter seals any of the times I changed them out. I just really would like a plausible explanation why I was essentially draining my tank while changing the filter under the truck. It didn't happen the first 2 times I changed the filters, so why this time?

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I followed the directions that came in the Cummins fuel filter box. I didn't have any issues following those instructions.... If you can change a light bulb, you can change the fuel filter. The only "issue" I had was that I had to do the fuel priming sequence 3 times before the "Low Pressure" fuel warning went away.... No big deal though.

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, there is one under the truck (fuel/water) and one in the engine bay. Easy access.... The one in the engine bay is mounted "upside down", but the fuel drains down into the line as soon as the seal is broken. No fuel spills at all on the engine.

·
224 Posts

·
430 Posts
thanks that's just what I had in mind. It's pretty bad that the dealer would charge that much. definitely something I'll look at doing on my own.

·
959 Posts
Bikerndiver, one thing I taught to always do when disconnecting any part on a fuel system is to loosen off the fuel cap to relieve any pressure that is built up in the tank. If there is enough pressure to start fuel flowing than it can continue to siphon out is the theory behind doing it.

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bikerndiver, one thing I taught to always do when disconnecting any part on a fuel system is to loosen off the fuel cap to relieve any pressure that is built up in the tank. If there is enough pressure to start fuel flowing than it can continue to siphon out is the theory behind doing it.

I'll make sure and do that the next change. I'm also going to wait till the tank is under a quarter...maybe that will help too.
Thanks!

Reactions: realbored

·
20 Posts
If I could kick myself in the Ass I would. I did not read this thread before, today, when my truck finally got to 9,990 miles and I changed the fuel filters.
Like Bikerndiver, I today experienced the fuel flow problem. My fuel tank was absolutely full, I filled it 2 miles from the house yesterday. I waited for about 1.5 Hours, and about 3 Gallons of diesel, for the flow to stop before I gave up and got covered in diesel fuel while changing the under vehicle filter.
My problem was compounded by the fact that the electrical connection socket on the filter body contacted the protective shield mounted in front of the filter body assembly, After the O ring seal was broken and fuel was leaking from the Filter body O ring, I then had to remove the shield while fuel leaked out into my drip pans, before I could remove the filter body assembly.

I suspect that my under vehicle filter shield was bent slightly to the rear when I got the truck stuck at the landfill, towing a dump trailer, it was up to its axles in slime, where the 4 wheel drive was only effective at coating the truck in a disgusting ooze. I was rescued by a D-6 Dozer, but in pulling me out it probably bent the filter shield as the truck was on the frame rails in the ooze.

A word to the wise, do not wear a long sleeved shirt that you want to keep while performing the act I did today!

Oh, and when you open the engine compartment filter body, with the under body filter draining from the water separator drain, expect the fuel system from the engine to drain out through the water separator drain!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I decided to do the change and spun the filter housing off with a socket. Now fuel was really coming out fairly steadily.... I quickly removed the old filter, put on new o-ring and put the housing back on...

Between what I had drained into the original container and what I lost into my drain pan, I figure about a gallon and half of fuel drained out....
I had this happen both times I have done this maintenance. My educated guess is: it happens because I do not want to lose my saved MPG averages so I refuse to disconnect the negative cables on the batteries. My guess is that anyone here who doesn't have the eternal draining issue (because it really is straight clean fuel, not water)... probably ACTUALLY follows the instructions from Cummins, and disconnects the batteries.

Any takers?

·
1,643 Posts
Nope,,, just did mine last week, drained valve into water bottle, got out maybe 6oz of fuel not a drop of water, removed and replaced lower filter, then removed and replaced 2nd filter. Primed system about 8 times until low fuel psi message stopped. Started up and purred without a hiccup. Did not unhook the batteries, my guess for that is so someone else doesn't turn on the ignition when your under the truck or hood while the filters are out. That would be a mess...side note filters were almost 2 years old tho only 4800 miles and they looked brand new, and I only fill up at my house with my tanks for my tractors.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts