Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Nope,,, just did mine last week, drained, removed and replaced lower filter, then removed and replaced 2nd filter. Primed system about 8 times until low fuel psi message stopped. Started up and purred without a hiccup
So you did or did not remove the negative cables? And it did or it did not eternally drain from the under-frame spigot?

·
20 Posts
First fuel filter change at 10k and had no fuel dump issues; didn't disconnect the batteries. Had about 2/3 pit a tank and changed on flat ground. Followed instructions to change engine one first, then did under the rail filter. Only lost 8 or so ounces of fuel. Suspect when you reduce and self drain the system from above; it might close a check valve in the fuel system? Just a guess.

·
959 Posts
If I could kick myself in the Ass I would. I did not read this thread before, today, when my truck finally got to 9,990 miles and I changed the fuel filters.
Like Bikerndiver, I today experienced the fuel flow problem. My fuel tank was absolutely full, I filled it 2 miles from the house yesterday. I waited for about 1.5 Hours, and about 3 Gallons of diesel, for the flow to stop before I gave up and got covered in diesel fuel while changing the under vehicle filter.
My problem was compounded by the fact that the electrical connection socket on the filter body contacted the protective shield mounted in front of the filter body assembly, After the O ring seal was broken and fuel was leaking from the Filter body O ring, I then had to remove the shield while fuel leaked out into my drip pans, before I could remove the filter body assembly.

I suspect that my under vehicle filter shield was bent slightly to the rear when I got the truck stuck at the landfill, towing a dump trailer, it was up to its axles in slime, where the 4 wheel drive was only effective at coating the truck in a disgusting ooze. I was rescued by a D-6 Dozer, but in pulling me out it probably bent the filter shield as the truck was on the frame rails in the ooze.

A word to the wise, do not wear a long sleeved shirt that you want to keep while performing the act I did today!

Oh, and when you open the engine compartment filter body, with the under body filter draining from the water separator drain, expect the fuel system from the engine to drain out through the water separator drain!
I had this happen both times I have done this maintenance. My educated guess is: it happens because I do not want to lose my saved MPG averages so I refuse to disconnect the negative cables on the batteries. My guess is that anyone here who doesn't have the eternal draining issue (because it really is straight clean fuel, not water)... probably ACTUALLY follows the instructions from Cummins, and disconnects the batteries.

Any takers?
In the top of filter housing for the filter along the frame rail there is a check valve. If your fuel continues to drain from the housing then that valve is not sealing properly. It is a mechanical vale and disconnecting the batteries will not affect its operation.

·
20 Posts
Thanks for solving that little mystery.

In the top of filter housing for the filter along the frame rail there is a check valve. If your fuel continues to drain from the housing then that valve is not sealing properly. It is a mechanical vale and disconnecting the batteries will not affect its operation.
Thanks for the answer to the problem. Getting that fixed under warranty might be a challenge though.

·
485 Posts
Ok...my two cents on this. One, a check valve is shut by pressure. The greater the back pressure the better the check valve will seat. I changed my filters with a FULL (YES FULL) tank of fuel as this puts more pressure on the check valve and would seat it better. The only fuel loss I had was what was in the housing itself. This is assuming these are either a ball or swing check valve. Without taking the thing apart I don't know which type it is. I am betting a ball check valve but more pressure will seat it better unless there is debris on the valve seat.

·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The first time I changed my filters (under truck filter first) it didn't happen. But, the last two times it did happen.... I'm about due to do them again, and this time I will park nose slightly up and with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel and I will remove the fuel cap to relieve any pressure.... I'll let you all know if I take a fuel bath again....

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
This is very helpful, because ending up with 3/4 of an orange juice bottle of clean diesel fuel last time...

2) The second set of fuel filters got done. I still haven't done it correctly by removing the negative battery cables (to avoid losing the computer's scorekeeping for MPG) and so, I think, that is why the fuel draining from the housing never stops. I reached about the amount below before deciding (just like 10k miles ago) to take off the still-leaking cover off and swap the filter quickly:

... was just not what I wanted. In ~7000 miles when this comes due again, I do believe I will inspect the inside of the housing on the frame as well as the removed cover, for the valve you describe.

·
22 Posts
thanks that's just what I had in mind. It's pretty bad that the dealer would charge that much. definitely something I'll look at doing on my own.
U
I have a 2018 titan xd midnight edition and I buy my filters on Amazon. I pay 75 for both filters from a nissan dealership on amazon. Way cheaper than the dealership wants to change the.. my dealer charges 150 for the filters and 150 to install them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts