Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to do my 60k mile oil and fuel filter change. Oil change went off with out a hitch the fuel filters were another story. I always do one at a time so when I pulled my bottom filter it stuck to the pump that was a first. I managed to get it off with out breaking the post that the filter slides on to. I cleaned the housing And I get my new filter out and lube the inside ring and the large o-ring. Reinstall it and go to prime it. I almost immediately get a low fuel pressure warning. I primed a second time and still have the warning. When I started the truck it ran for thirty seconds and died. Low fuel pressure warning still on. Checked for leaks and made sure filter was tight. No leaks and filter was tight. I tried priming two more times truck wouldn’t start. So I went and grabbed my back up filter and changed it again. When I took it apart I didn’t see any signs of pinching the O-ring put new filter in re-lubed every thing and put it back together push the button to prime it and it said low fuel pressure and then that light went out primed it again and then started the truck. I had no problems with the top filter and truck is running great. I have no clue what went wrong with the first bottom filter, I pitched it and the o-ring. Now I need to order two bottom filters and one top filter. I always keep a set on hand in case I get water in my fuel. Bottom line do one filter at a time and keep an extra set on hand. And if you get that warning don’t just try to keep priming it you will burn out the pump quit after trying a second time. This is my 5th time changing filter and the first time I had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
14 Posts
Thats interesting. I have always had to prime 8 cycles after changing both filters, to get it to start right up from that point forward. Any less priming cycles and the starting was delayed mainly after sitting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
331 Posts
I've had issues with low pressure on my rail filter, too, and I solved it almost immediately by tightening the filter housing just a bit past where my torque wrench indicated it should be. I always cringe a bit at that, but it's possible you just needed to turn it a bit extra.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
I’ve never done one filter at a time. Bottom filter first and then under the hood, prime 5 times and she’s running just fine.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve never done one filter at a time. Bottom filter first and then under the hood, prime 5 times and she’s running just fine.
I hope your luck continues. How would you know what filter is the issue by changing both at the same time? Like I said this wasn’t my first go at this but it was my first failure. I will continue to do one filter at time. Better safe then sorry.

·
671 Posts
I get the one filter at a time idea, it makes sense. I do both of mine at the same time, and I've only ever primed two times. Idk about priming 5-8x...

·
1,297 Posts
I do mine one at a time (starting with the lower one) run the motor for about 3 to 5 minutes before changing the upper one. So far so good....140k and climbing

·
147 Posts
Interesting. When you pulled the first replacement filter, was there any fuel in it? I might have missed it if you wrote that there was. As for me, I've only replaced mine once since I bought the truck, but will be coming up due in about 2,000 more miles. When I did it, I worked on it alone, so obviously I replaced mine one at a time. I did the rail filter first because it was the easiest and didn't require draining fuel to do. If I remember correctly, I only had to do two prime cycles before the low pressure indicator went out and was able to crank it up. No issues since.

·
959 Posts
Today I decided to do my 60k mile oil and fuel filter change. Oil change went off with out a hitch the fuel filters were another story. I always do one at a time so when I pulled my bottom filter it stuck to the pump that was a first. I managed to get it off with out breaking the post that the filter slides on to. I cleaned the housing And I get my new filter out and lube the inside ring and the large o-ring. Reinstall it and go to prime it. I almost immediately get a low fuel pressure warning. I primed a second time and still have the warning. When I started the truck it ran for thirty seconds and died. Low fuel pressure warning still on. Checked for leaks and made sure filter was tight. No leaks and filter was tight. I tried priming two more times truck wouldn’t start. So I went and grabbed my back up filter and changed it again. When I took it apart I didn’t see any signs of pinching the O-ring put new filter in re-lubed every thing and put it back together push the button to prime it and it said low fuel pressure and then that light went out primed it again and then started the truck. I had no problems with the top filter and truck is running great. I have no clue what went wrong with the first bottom filter, I pitched it and the o-ring. Now I need to order two bottom filters and one top filter. I always keep a set on hand in case I get water in my fuel. Bottom line do one filter at a time and keep an extra set on hand. And if you get that warning don’t just try to keep priming it you will burn out the pump quit after trying a second time. This is my 5th time changing filter and the first time I had an issue.

If you still have the filter that caused the no start issue look inside the filter. There should be a pointy piece of plastic in middle of the very bottom of it. It pushes up on a one way valve in the bottom of the plastic tube that the original filter was stuck on to allow fuel flow.

·
2 Posts
I had an issue today changing my stage 2 filter, the housing unscrewed fine but the filter stuck to the spindle inside the housing which ended up breaking. I'm looking for that part and am unable to find it listed on line by itself. Does anyone know the part number or name of the spindle? 2017 Titan XD PR 5.0 Cummins.

·
666 Posts
I've changed my own filters 6 times now.. never had issues with anything not coming out properly, or with priming. I just prime until I stop hearing the gurgling in the fuel lines (usually 3-4 times) and go.

Reactions: M1lkman

·
340 Posts
Yes, sorry to hear that- an expensive part...several folks have broken the spindles on both the stage 1 and 2 filter assemblies. When I changed my stage 1 filter the first time, it was like it was glued on. Tried to pull "straight" but when it came off it took a crazy amount of force. Luckily no break in the spindle.

Don't be shy about applying white lithium grease to the filter seals where they contact the housing.

·
22 Posts

I never have issues when I change my fuel filters. I do them every 10000 miles. Never once have I had a low fuel light come on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts