Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the engine filter replacement. The chassis filter replacement is in the next one I post.

The engine and chassis fuel filters are nothing to be afraid of. I drug my ass and it only took me a half hour from beginning to leak check. (Especially since the stealer wanted $300 to change them.)

Disclaimer: I did not disconnect the battery, even though the instructions said to, and I did not drain the chassis water separator bowl, even though the instructions said to. You be the judge of how you perform this task.

The engine mounted filter bowl is right in front of the air intake snorkel. Use a 1-1/8 in. six point socket to remove this cap. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH AN OPEN ENDED WRENCH. You will jack up the lands on this composite cap and end up buying another one. Same warning for the chassis filter bowl.

Pull the cap off the filter; it will likely stay behind on the spiral pickup tube. The bowl will not spill as it drains as soon as the cap comes off. Once the cap is off, pull the filter element upwards off the pickup feed. Take the new filter element, lube the inner filter gasket and press it down on the spiral feed. Then take the cap, discard the o-ring, take a little diesel and lubricate the new o-ring, and seat it in the groove on the cap. Spin the cap down hand tight, then use the socket and a torque wrench to seat the cap to the required torque. Time on job: 7 minutes.

MB

Attachments

·
519 Posts
How often do these need to be changed? (Yes, I know this is in my manual, but I'm staying in a hotel tonight and don't want to go outside and look right now and I'll forget in the morning). Thanks in advance.

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, and one more thing. Keep those filters changed on the factory schedule. Just had a buddy call me tonight, he got a $12,371 estimate from Ford to replace the fuel system on his 2013 F350 6.7L Powerstroke because they claim water in the fuel. I'm not certain if I am a fan of common rail injection yet or not, but be on the safe side and keep your filtration quality high. I'm hoping that fuel delivery is not one of the Achilles' heels of the Cummins V-8.

MB

·
19 Posts
Excellent content and much appreciated as I head into my first real service. Dealership wanted $550 for the 15,000 mile service...pass. I did my maintenance on my old Dodge, slow to start on this shiny new one. All this was the kickstart I needed, thank you. I purchased everything but an air filter thru the dealership for $174.69

The oil isn't what I expected, I always used Rotella on my dodge, Nissan's first oil change appears to be a standard oil (affordable) which I carried thru with here.

I collected and summarized from sources available and some web hunting to offer up the following summary, Hope it helps other.
corrections/edits welcome.

Attachments

·
229 Posts
Yup, I brought my XD in for it's inspection today...the service manager told me "just want to let you know you're due for the fuel filters to be changed"...I told him in was aware of that and they're coming in the mail any day now...he said "I hope you're aware it's a pretty involved job. We bill it at 2.5 hours". I just smiled and said have a nice day :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts