Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
27 Posts
Did both today for the first time

This is a great post, thanks for sharing!!!

I did the engine bay one first I did have some FM on the swirl tube I placed some blue paper towels and an artist brush and cleaned it all off
filter looked spent though I am right at 30 k so assume it was done at the 20 K service knowing the former owner he is on the board here and a good guy he did all the recalls and flashes , I used some silicone pool grease for all the rubber , The bottom one I had to loosen the skid plate to turn the housing off it must have taken a hit to get it to clear the plug in receptacle every thing else pretty straight forward it tightens right back to it proper place just as the torque clicked , I wondered if doing them both at the same time if I would prime ok it took two 90 second primes then it fired over
and stalled primed again and she ran and the low fuel pressure error came on I tried to drive it out and got the creep mode warning back in driveway I did the 90 second thing and it was all fine went and filled it up and did a little hi way run running great now took about an hour for the first time

Bought the filters (OEM) and it came with a Oil filter + crush washer and some gloves and full instructions 82$ on amazon

I stapled the receipt in the manual along with the mileage just in case I need it

Pointer Wifes yoga matt did great as a creeper and she will never know unless she smells it

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
This is a great post, thanks for sharing!!!

I did the engine bay one first I did have some FM on the swirl tube I placed some blue paper towels and an artist brush and cleaned it all off
filter looked spent though I am right at 30 k so assume it was done at the 20 K service knowing the former owner he is on the board here and a good guy he did all the recalls and flashes , I used some silicone pool grease for all the rubber , The bottom one I had to loosen the skid plate to turn the housing off it must have taken a hit to get it to clear the plug in receptacle every thing else pretty straight forward it tightens right back to it proper place just as the torque clicked , I wondered if doing them both at the same time if I would prime ok it took two 90 second primes then it fired over
and stalled primed again and she ran and the low fuel pressure error came on I tried to drive it out and got the creep mode warning back in driveway I did the 90 second thing and it was all fine went and filled it up and did a little hi way run running great now took about an hour for the first time

Bought the filters (OEM) and it came with a Oil filter + crush washer and some gloves and full instructions 82$ on amazon

I stapled the receipt in the manual along with the mileage just in case I need it

Pointer Wifes yoga matt did great as a creeper and she will never know unless she smells it
Thanks for idea on the yoga mat?...gonna lay that on my creeper next time. Wife hates it when turn towels into shop rags...
On the shield, you have to remove it each time for the best results. It's part of the service procedure.
I change both mine at the same time and then fully prime twice before attempting to start.
Low pressure comes on for a second while priming then turns off. After second prime completes fully truck starts and runs without the Low Pressure.
The pump is a little tough to here if there are other things going on around you or you have artillery ears like I do??

·
125 Posts
First fuel filter change-successful!

And another satisfied customer of the XD forum! Opened the water drain, went up and cracked open the engine filter housing (which really drained out that upper and lower housing!), changed the engine filter, then changed the lower. MAN! That lower housing is scary tight but easy constant pressure got it started, filter stayed up in the cavity and had to be eased out, so I guess the O ring on it was working. But that O ring on the drain housing was loose and floppy after inspection. Got it all buttoned up, 2 prime sessions and voila, starts right up!

(Used the yoga mat for years, it has lasted longer than the yoga phase did by far)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
And another satisfied customer of the XD forum! Opened the water drain, went up and cracked open the engine filter housing (which really drained out that upper and lower housing!), changed the engine filter, then changed the lower. MAN! That lower housing is scary tight but easy constant pressure got it started, filter stayed up in the cavity and had to be eased out, so I guess the O ring on it was working. But that O ring on the drain housing was loose and floppy after inspection. Got it all buttoned up, 2 prime sessions and voila, starts right up!

(Used the yoga mat for years, it has lasted longer than the yoga phase did by far)
Glad to hear it went well. Hey...I thought you were going to send me that good looking cow catcher you got on the front of that unit?????......I'm still infatuated with that little fifth wheel of yours. Pretty cool little unit and I look for them every week when on the road. Still haven't seen one yet in Texas.

·
5 Posts
This is the engine filter replacement. The chassis filter replacement is in the next one I post.

The engine and chassis fuel filters are nothing to be afraid of. I drug my ass and it only took me a half hour from beginning to leak check. (Especially since the stealer wanted $300 to change them.)

Disclaimer: I did not disconnect the battery, even though the instructions said to, and I did not drain the chassis water separator bowl, even though the instructions said to. You be the judge of how you perform this task.

The engine mounted filter bowl is right in front of the air intake snorkel. Use a 1-1/8 in. six point socket to remove this cap. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH AN OPEN ENDED WRENCH. You will jack up the lands on this composite cap and end up buying another one. Same warning for the chassis filter bowl.

Pull the cap off the filter; it will likely stay behind on the spiral pickup tube. The bowl will not spill as it drains as soon as the cap comes off. Once the cap is off, pull the filter element upwards off the pickup feed. Take the new filter element, lube the inner filter gasket and press it down on the spiral feed. Then take the cap, discard the o-ring, take a little diesel and lubricate the new o-ring, and seat it in the groove on the cap. Spin the cap down hand tight, then use the socket and a torque wrench to seat the cap to the required torque. Time on job: 7 minutes.

MB
Does it make a difference whether you use Cummins or Nissan filters? Cummins has a kit that has both fuek filters, the oil filter and the oil all for $141. Seems reasonable, and the fuel filters might be a little cheaper.

·
1 Posts
LOW FUEL PRESSURE Please help. I changed both fuel filters lubed "O" rings and keep getting "Low Fuel Pressure" and my primer pump keeps running. I'm using WIX filters. Think that might be my problem? I've taken both fuel filter housing off and inspected everything. Looks good inside. Really greased "O" rings (for a second time) thinking I have an air leak? Thanks for any help.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts