Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

633 Posts
IASage,

How many miles did you have on the truck? It is barely broken in at 5000 miles, and my mileage continue to improve up to about 7500 miles.

That being said I'm surprised your mileage is that low, I rarely see anything that low unless I'm only driving around town with some stationary idling thrown in. I usually see as high as 21-22 mpg with a loaded truck but no trailer, and 17-19 with a medium sized trailer. Those are highway/Interstate at the speed limit without large grades.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

633 Posts
Yep, Dodge had some disparity between what their eco-diesel was supposed to be doing and what it was doing, I think emissions was one of their "problem" areas, and I never heard anyone say that they were getting anywhere near the promised mileage, etc. I don't think you can even get the 1/2 ton with the diesel this year so far.

I admire Ford's 1/2 ton solution, boosted 6 cylinder gas motor pushing an aluminum truck, it's really great for what it is, but it's not comparable to the XD, though It's a great option for a light duty pickup. (Note: just like in the Chevy commercial, I had a neighbor haul a couple loads of landscaping blocks in the back of his new Ford and it dented the **** out if the bed.)

633 Posts
It's very interesting how varied the reported mpg are amongst us. From dealing with our work fleet in the past, granted they were cars not trucks, it was remarkable how the exact same make/model/year of vehicle could have average mpg that varied by more than 5-10 mpg. It's pretty amazing how things like different tires or wheels, different air filters, different sources or grades of fuel, and additives in the fuel, and times of year would effect the mpg. One of the biggest factors, however, was the operator. I'd trained or ridden with most of them and some were heavy into the accelerator, heavy into the brakes. Some would take the whole interstate on ramp to get up to speed, others were barely on the ramp before they got up to speed. A few insisted on driving as fast as they could get away with whereas other operators just motored along at the speed limit with traffic. We had one older guy who insisted on doing all of his paperwork in the car, motor running, heat or air conditioner on, and so on.

633 Posts
I get 23 highway and 18 mixed... a lot of it is driving habit..

Ford and Dodge can do those numbers but I wouldn't dare put 12,000lbs behind either one of them. I'm either not that brave or not that stupid or both.
I agree, you can get widely varied results due to driving behavior. I also get 21-23 straight highway miles or 17-18 mixed now that the Platinum Reserve 4X4 truck is more or less completely broken in. I've never seen below 12 mpg with a seriously heavy load and hills however I've never towed max load so 1-2 mpg drop might be possible. With lighter loads and/or towing just 2-3,000 lbs I get around 17-18 highway which I find pretty amazing. These trucks tow like a dream, I know from experience that the Dodge, Chevy and Ford options in this range do not provide the same experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts