Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a dealer demo for the family truck a year ago. My wife drove it primarily for 8 months unless we hauled the camper. So for a year and a half it didn't get a lot of action.
Recently I started driving it for work. Being new to a diesel I also just started adding diesel kleen about 4 weeks ago. That's possibly coincidently when I started having hard starts.

Today the fuel pump stopped working and wouldn't start. Blew the OG fuse and replacement instantly. Had it towed to the dealer for service on Monday morning...

Any thoughts on causes here? I have 16k on the truck, did the service at 10k and make the dealer service when I bought it so it's had 2 so far. I've read on here about going below 1/4 tank being a no no but not sure technically why that's a problem...? I am guilty of usually running below that mark and consistently fuel up between 19-20 gallons. Every 3 or 4 days. Advice appreciated.

·
306 Posts
Sounds like the lift pump took a crap. Common issue with these trucks. The big concern about going below 1/4 tank is you run the risk of sucking air into the fuel system and damaging the high pressure fuel pump, which is pretty sensitive already.

Depending on who you talk to, some will say to run a fuel additive every _ fill ups.

I change fuel filters every 10k miles, run good fuel (mostly Shell) and use OptiLube 6oz every tank filled at or above 1/4. Haven't had any fuel issues yet and hope not too for a while. If the lift pump goes out after 50K miles, I'm adding a FASS system.

Stay frosty

·
61 Posts
Sounds like the lift pump took a crap. Common issue with these trucks. The big concern about going below 1/4 tank is you run the risk of sucking air into the fuel system and damaging the high pressure fuel pump, which is pretty sensitive already.

Depending on who you talk to, some will say to run a fuel additive every _ fill ups.

I change fuel filters every 10k miles, run good fuel (mostly Shell) and use OptiLube 6oz every tank filled at or above 1/4. Haven't had any fuel issues yet and hope not too for a while. If the lift pump goes out after 50K miles, I'm adding a FASS system.

Stay frosty
I have ran under 1/4 tank on my truck probably atleast 50 times, no issues still to this day. Fuel filter every 50k if the truck is lucky... still no issues

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like there are two types of people on this site, those with fuel pump problems and those without... wonder how many manufacturers Nissan used in 2019(my case) build date was December 2018...

·
32 Posts
I feel like there are two types of people on this site, those with fuel pump problems and those without... wonder how many manufacturers Nissan used in 2019(my case) build date was December 2018...
I had a leaking lift pump when I bought the truck and replaced it with a fass unit. Only issue I have had since is while towing and that turned out to be with the fass the tank wouldn’t vent properly and would go into a vacuum. Which I fixed with a “vented” fuel cap. I am using archoil additives and have had no further problems yet. But yeah-seems a lot of issues with the factory lift pump in general and completely indiscriminate as to how, why or when they will fail. That’s why I went fass. But I’m also out of warranty.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a dealer demo for the family truck a year ago. My wife drove it primarily for 8 months unless we hauled the camper. So for a year and a half it didn't get a lot of action.
Recently I started driving it for work. Being new to a diesel I also just started adding diesel kleen about 4 weeks ago. That's possibly coincidently when I started having hard starts.

Today the fuel pump stopped working and wouldn't start. Blew the OG fuse and replacement instantly. Had it towed to the dealer for service on Monday morning...

Any thoughts on causes here? I have 16k on the truck, did the service at 10k and make the dealer service when I bought it so it's had 2 so far. I've read on here about going below 1/4 tank being a no no but not sure technically why that's a problem...? I am guilty of usually running below that mark and consistently fuel up between 19-20 gallons. Every 3 or 4 days. Advice appreciated.
Dealer diagnosed as a failed lift pump, get it back today, still don’t know if it was coincidence or correlated to the either the diesel kleen or low fuel levels…

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
759 Posts
Fuel filters every 50k? No way. 10k on the dot for me. They're cheaper than a new motor or fuel pump. As for the OP, I doubt the fuel additive had anything to do with it, I think it was a coincidence. However if you don't want to use it anymore, I prefer hotshots EDT, I especially like the bottle, you can measure it more precisely every fill-up.

·
1,485 Posts
Fuel filters every 50k? No way. 10k on the dot for me. They're cheaper than a new motor or fuel pump. As for the OP, I doubt the fuel additive had anything to do with it, I think it was a coincidence. However if you don't want to use it anymore, I prefer hotshots EDT, I especially like the bottle, you can measure it more precisely every fill-up.
I saw that too. I hope it was a typo!

·
306 Posts
Dealer diagnosed as a failed lift pump, get it back today, still don’t know if it was coincidence or correlated to the either the diesel kleen or low fuel levels…
There's no rhyme or reason to why the lift pump failed so early. I hope the new one last a long time since it's covered under the Emissions Warranty that expires at 5/50K.

Stay frosty

·
98 Posts
87k miles, I change my fuel filters every 15k miles, sometimes right before. I let me truck get to 70 miles left range (right before the big yellow or amber, which ever you prefer, E comes on) before filling back up. I’ve never ran any additives. No fueling issues. Yet. I’m not even worried. I’ll just install a FASS if/when it happens.

·
98 Posts
I have ran under 1/4 tank on my truck probably atleast 50 times, no issues still to this day. Fuel filter every 50k if the truck is lucky... still no issues
How dirty do your filters look? After my first fuel filter change at 10k miles and my filters were still white, I chose to try again at 20k and they were way to dirty 😂 15k seems to be the nice in between number for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts