Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I watched several videos for the fuel filter change in the XD diesel. I have a 2017 and everything went fine, except for when changing the #1 filter (lower filter) I couldn't stop the flow of fuel when I removed the filter housing and filter. On all the videos it shows that you just open the water drain valve on the bottom of the filter housing and after a bit the fuel will be drained out. On mine it just kept pouring fuel out. Prob let close to 3 gallons come out before I realized that it wasnt going to stop flowing. Most the videos I seemed to watch were about 2016, so I didn't know if something has changed.
In the manual when you get to that step, it refers you to the draining water section, but that part states that you open the valve to drain water and shut it off when its just fuel coming out. So that obviously dont shut it off to the housing. I just ended up being quick about swapping the filter and housing but it was quite the mess with fuel pouring out at a pretty steady rate. Any help would be appreciated for my future filter changes. Thanks in advance

·
48 Posts
I ran into the same thing a couple of times and realized that not only do I not like how messy it gets, but that I also don’t like crawling under the truck to change the oil as well.

I started buying the oil and all three filters myself, then changing the high pressure fuel filter under the hood, and taking the truck to the dealer for the rest. They only charge 30 mins to an hour of labour. That’s it. Totally worth it for me.

·
199 Posts
I ran into the same thing a couple of times and realized that not only do I not like how messy it gets, but that I also don’t like crawling under the truck to change the oil as well.

I started buying the oil and all three filters myself, then changing the high pressure fuel filter under the hood, and taking the truck to the dealer for the rest. They only charge 30 mins to an hour of labour. That’s it. Totally worth it for me.
So you take the parts & oil to the dealership, and they use them & just charge labor?

·
48 Posts
So you take the parts & oil to the dealership, and they use them & just charge labor?
That’s right. Buying parts from the dealer is about 3 times more expensive. So I buy the filters directly from Cummins and the oil from an auto parts store (only because Cummins doesn’t carry Shell products). Dealer doesn’t mind if I buy the parts myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts