Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I refueled my new Titan XD for the very first time. It took my 20 minutes to put 18 gallons of diesel into the tank!

Why was a regular gas filler neck installed in the diesel version of the truck? The restrictor plate with the small hole for the unleaded fuel nozzle is in my diesel truck and the larger diameter nozzle of the diesel fuel pump does not pass through the small hole. The diesel fuel pump nozzle would only go into the filler neck about 1.5 inches before the plate prevented any further insertion and when the fuel flowed from the pump nozzle, it struck the restrictor plate and splashed back out on to me and the ground. I had to control the pump handle so that only a slow trickle of diesel fuel was coming out to prevent the back-splash. Is there some adapter made which will permit the larger diameter diesel fuel pump nozzle to be used with the small hole filler neck? Twenty minute fuel-ups are not acceptable in my book!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
The Mobil station by me has 2 larger nozzles for diesel in outer rows, the inner nozzles for diesel are the smaller ones. Most stations on Long island use the smaller ones. Check around your area.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Mobil station by me has 2 larger nozzles for diesel in outer rows, the inner nozzles for diesel are the smaller ones. Most stations on Long island use the smaller ones. Check around your area.
I plan on using my Titan for long-distance travel. I really don't want to station-hop trying to find a diesel nozzle which will fit. Why can't they install a filler neck which will work work the larger diameter diesel pump nozzles to start with?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I guess the larger nozzle would be nice, but I have traveled up and down the east coast from New York, south to Florida, West to Virginia & West Virginia, and North up by Albany. I can't recall one station other than the one around the block from my house that had a larger nozzle. Everywhere I have been it has been diesel with the smaller one.

·
18 Posts
I guess the larger nozzle would be nice, but I have traveled up and down the east coast from New York, south to Florida, West to Virginia & West Virginia, and North up by Albany. I can't recall one station other than the one around the block from my house that had a larger nozzle. Everywhere I have been it has been diesel with the smaller one.
Wow. :eek: I travel up to northern VT & NH, sometimes late at night. I regularly fuel up at a truck stop, since small stations close early, and can't always easily accommodate my towed trailer. I'll have to check k the nozzle size when up in a few weeks. I think they use the larger, truck size nozzle.

This would be a huge inconvenience. As it is, a lot of my buds, especially in winter, ( snowmobile trips) carry spare 5 gallon cans of fuel since it can be tough getting fuel in small towns, at night , during storms, etc.

·
712 Posts
OK, stopped to fuel up my truck today.
I've just new run the first tank thru it.

Took about 15 minutes to get 3 gallons into it. WTF

Nozzle goes in all the way, but it keeps burping fuel.
I'm guessing it's a kinked vent hose, I remember seeing another member with this issue.

Had to stop at another station and get 3 more gallons so I'd have enough to get it to the dealer on Tuesday.
I already called and made an appointment.

I'm hoping there is something wrong with it, because it this a SOP then the truck isn't any good to me.
Both pumps had the smaller auto type nozzle on them, so it wasn't a matter of trying to put fuel in too fast.

·
84 Posts
My previous truck was a Ford diesel and I always preferred to fill up in the truck lanes at an actual truck stop whenever possible for two main reasons. One, you are less likely to get "bad" fuel at a truck stop because they sell more so the fuel is more likely to be fresh and water free. Two, I could fill up in less than a minute.

The first time I had to fill my Titan I went to my usual Mapco to fill up not even thinking about it. I was very disappointed that the nozzle wouldn't fit and I had to drive around to the normal fuel lanes. Bummer.

·
1 Posts
I asked Nissan if there was a way to remove the interior of the fuel fill so that the larger nozzles will fit. I was told there is no problem - just go to stations that have the smaller nozzle.
I live in an area where three out four stations only have the high pressure type. Also, I owned a Duramax that I had removed the inner block and it worked fine.
I am going to pull the interior out - I will post after I have done that.

·
1,979 Posts
I asked Nissan if there was a way to remove the interior of the fuel fill so that the larger nozzles will fit. I was told there is no problem - just go to stations that have the smaller nozzle.
I live in an area where three out four stations only have the high pressure type. Also, I owned a Duramax that I had removed the inner block and it worked fine.
I am going to pull the interior out - I will post after I have done that.
Or just get the VW adapter.

·
5 Posts
The biggest problem with this is when or if you are pulling a large trailer or camper and can't fit into the inside lanes where the smaller ones are and can only use the out side pump Nissan aperently over looked this i for one will be cringing when looking for fuel while pulling our 35 foot camper this summer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts