Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excluding fuel costs and driving 25k miles/year, which engine is likely to cost less to operate over 10 years/250k miles assuming all recommended service is done at dealer?

What are the most likely engine component failures within 250k miles?

Related question - do we have warranty info for XD gas v diesel engines?

In particular I wonder what the out of warranty repair costs would be for a Cummins hpfp, dpf, egr, or turbo failure? I ask because I currently own a diesel VW tdi that I now regret buying not merely because of the VW scandal but also because I didn't realize the risk of hpfp, dpf, egr, turbo failures that those engines are now commonly experiencing (check tdiclub.com if interested). All those failures happened to me between 100k-115k miles but only the hpfp was covered under warranty (after much cajoling). That engine was perfectly maintained. The hpfp repair was quoted at $6500 before VW accepted responsibility. The dpf, egr, turbo repairs in total were quoted at $9500 from the dealer and $8000 from an independent shop. I could do them myself for about $3500 in new parts but I don't trust this particular diesel engine any more.

I intend to spend the next decade touring with my truck & trailer and the engine decision would be an easy one in favor of diesel were it not for my recent bad experience with components that I suspect are common across modern diesels.

·
313 Posts
This is why many folks recommend an extended warranty for modern diesels. Not only can they break down, they are expensive to fix when they do.

I believe the other truck diesels are warrantied to 100K miles. But in some cases the warranty requires pulling teeth, like Ford and its HPFP issues which are the same as VW's HPFP issues since 2009 with the Bosch 4.1 pump. The Cummins has the same Bosch 4.2 pump as Ford and GM diesels.

Am impressed that you actually got VW to pay for your HPFP repair.

Also the Emissions warranty is separate from the drive train warranty and IIRC may not go the same 100K miles as the diesel drive train.

·
94 Posts
In my experience, diesel truck engines are lower maintenance. While they may cost more to fix when there is a problem, I find there are far fewer problems in general. That said, I have zero experience with Cummins V-type engines. The Cummins ISV modded for pickups could have unforeseen issues down the road that the commercial ISV doesn't experience and the gas engine was changed a bit as well which could carry its own set of longevity issues...might need to wait for a few first time buyers to get their trucks past 100,000mi to truly see what these engines are like in the long run. If the pricing is decent in Canada, I'll probably be one of those people.
Most V-type diesels are warrantied to 100,000mi and the Commercial ISV carries that, I assume the Nissan version will be the same. I do believe Cummins doubles or even triples that distance for their inlines like the ISB in the RAM.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did nothing impressive - I'm sure this NHTSA investigation triggered VW to extend the warranty.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/feds-close-probe-into-vw-audi-tdi-vehicles-for-high-pressure-fuel-pump-failure.html

My hpfp failure happened last June in middle of Mojave Desert 110F. My dealer said I was their first hpfp failure to be serviced under the extended warranty that they only learned about after they quoted me and I pushed back after researching here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4832373. I waited about 3 weeks for VWoA (not the dealer) to test for misfueling and to approve the repair. During this repair they reported the dpf was cracked and the egr was leaking even though no cel's were evident. They predicted I would eventually get cel's for those issues and I vowed to return for service if cel's appeared, got the car back mid-August then the day before the VW scandal broke Sept. 18 the turbo died (vanes shattered when impeller slipped off shaft - an unusual failure - why would nut come loose?). Perhaps the failing dpf/egr contributed to the turbo failure but considering how the turbo failed I doubt it.

On the hpfp, knowledgeable folks on tdiclub.com recommend a prophylactic "2 micron" fuel filter. Before buying another diesel with a suspect Bosch hpfp I'll want to know whether Cummins did (or I can do aftermarket) something like the "2 micron" filter to avoid the risk of total fuel system replacement due to pump failure.

What will be the cost of a Nissan/dealer supplied extended warranty for the XD? Will the cost differ between gas v diesel?

·
313 Posts
I do believe Cummins doubles or even triples that distance for their inlines like the ISB in the RAM.
RAM's warranty for the I6 is only 100k Miles (160k kms).
Never heard that Cummins provides any additional warranty.

And the Emissions components which have been issues in the past (dunno about this engine) are usually only warrantied for 5 yrs 50K miles (US Federal law I think)

·
313 Posts
On the hpfp, knowledgeable folks on tdiclub.com recommend a prophylactic "2 micron" fuel filter. Before buying another diesel with a suspect Bosch hpfp I'll want to know whether Cummins did (or I can do aftermarket) something like the "2 micron" filter to avoid the risk of total fuel system replacement due to pump failure.

What will be the cost of a Nissan/dealer supplied extended warranty for the XD? Will the cost differ between gas v diesel?
Good to hear about VW's warranty extension for HPFP failure.

Cummins has a good rep for fuel system filtration, but I don't know the specifics for the Titan XD's V8. A good lubricity additive, like quality bio-diesel, would probably also help.

And extended warranty costs may not be known for a while ...

·
107 Posts
185k on my 3.0l Mercedes, oil change 10k, fuel filter 30k. Original dpf, 19 mpg city, 24 hwy. Will never go back gas. The key of all diesel is maintenance, they are more advance than any gas engine, but when you get hooked by the torque...priceless!!:)

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had 2 consecutive short-term lease BMW 335d with "jbd" diesel tune, torque monsters, no problems in the short time I had them. Did well on track against M3's especially on slower circuits where more torque pays off. However lots of long term owners reporting dpf/egr/carbon buildup problems iirc from 2 yrs ago.

Not planning to track my XD but I will look at aftermarket tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts