Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In preparation for my first oil change and in doing some research - I found it very interesting that prior to 2016 Nissan recommended 5w-30 for the VK56VD 5.6l V8 used in all Nissan's and Infinity's. In 2017 the owners manual states 0w-20 is recommended but 5w-30 can be used.

Then in 2018 Nissan changed the viscosity to 0w-20SN for all VK56VD 5.6l V8's with no mention of 5w-30.

Since this engine is direct injected (possible deposits?) and may generally be tough on oil (a lot of gears and it's camshafts are driven by two chains, one for each head plus the timing chain that transmits the rotational movement from crankshaft to the both intake and exhaust camshafts) I was wondering what brand, formula and viscosity of oil people are using? Along with what oil filter.

For me, after reading the entire warranty discoursers and noting in the not covered section " any failure resulting from... use of improper or contaminated fuels, fluids or lubricants; failure to maintain proper fluid, coolant or lubricant levels; use of inferior or modified parts; modifications of the vehicle beyond the original factory specification, including installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components...." Plus with this text all in capitals " FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUCH EVIDENCE AND/OR FAILURE TO MAINTIAN THE VECHCLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL MAY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM COVERAGE". I decided to use an API 0W-20 SN oil during my warranty period.

After a decent amount of research I have chosen Idemitsu's Zepro Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0w-20 Engine Oil. The high moly content should help with possible chain wear. Again for warranty reasons I will be following the Nissan 5k OCI service schedule and will stay with Nissan factory oil filters. I also will change the drain plug to a magnetic version.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro/0w-20
https://goldplug.com/shop/

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$60 for an Amsoil oil change on that diesel with the gallons oil that it takes is a pretty good price! Considering that oil filter is about $10... I am guessing your using Amsoil Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40? if your putting in Amsoil Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 for that price then your my hero.

·
1,331 Posts
$60 for an Amsoil oil change on that diesel with the gallons oil that it takes is a pretty good price! Considering that oil filter is about $10... I am guessing your using Amsoil Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40? if your putting in Amsoil Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 for that price then your my hero.
Naw, fleetguard oil filter is $6 and oil is around $56 for 2.5gal of synthetic 5w-40 of the HD stuff. It’s worth signing up for their program. I buy enough oil at a time to also get free shipping. Also I only sign up for a 6 month membership but buy enough oil that I only have to sign up once about every 18 months.

So guess it’s $62ish.

For great price on Nissan factory filters, fleetguard is factory for 5.0, www.beelineparts.com will save you money.

·
44 Posts
I just did mine today. Comes out to about $6 a quart and I think around $13 for the filter. Full synthetic and recommends 12k mike oil change intervals. I figure doing the 5k oil changes for the warranty that oil should still work nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0w-20 and the Nissan filter. I noticed a few people on titan talk use 0w-30 or 5w-30 with no issues.

I just towed my 7,000 lb camper from KCMO to Destin, FL. Checked my oil at every gas stop. that oil weight just seems so thin to me but it’s what the manual says to use, so I use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sent in a ENOES Racing Street 0W-20 virgin oil sample in for testing this is a SN API oil. High Moly, Zinc and Calcium. Compared to Idemitsu Zepro Eco Medalist SAE 0W-20 Adv Moly this oil has higher Moly and slightly higher Zinc and a bit lower Calcium. Zepro's VOA numbers are 668 Moly, 804 Zinc, 2209 Calcium, 264 Boron, 12 Magnesium and 682 Phosphorus. I will be using this oil for my next oil change.

Attachments

·
1 Posts
So it is time to change the oil on your Nissan Titan and now you have to go through the whole process of searching for new oil and reading for its ratings online again. All of this just because the last oil you put in your vehicle was not up to par.
Well, worry not! I have compiled this article which consists of the best oil for Nissan Titan that are guaranteed to keep your engine in good shape for a long time. You will notice extended drain intervals and much more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts