Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question for current owners.

Would you buy the diesel or gas version of the XD?? I am going to buy one but want to wait until the bugs are out in a year. At this point what is the better model for in town driving

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Just a question for current owners.

Would you buy the diesel or gas version of the XD?? I am going to buy one but want to wait until the bugs are out in a year. At this point what is the better model for in town driving
The regular titan when it comes out in a few more months?

·
167 Posts
Definetly gas is if you're just doing around town stop and go short trips. Deisel if your putting some miles on and hitting the highway frequently. Also for towing regularly. That's my recommendation anyways

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I would consider it but the XD ability to absorb punishment meaning heavy use makes it ideal. Plus the ride. That is better than a 3/4 ton or more truck
To get everyone's feedback maybe a little more info needed.

Always in town?
What kind of weight towing?
Etc...

If I was only in town then a modern emission ladden diesel isn't the best choice.
But if some highway running is in the mix then consider the diesel.
I couldn't be happier with mine, even after trying out an xd gas.

·
348 Posts
After driving several of both, I chose gas. My daily driving is 6 miles in town one way. I tow a 2500 lb. boat on weekends, a 5000 lb. travel trailer 6 to 8 times a year, no farther than 200 -250 miles, so I really don't need a diesel. My MPG averages over 12 with all in town driving. I get on a county road now and then, see MPG reach and stay around 22 - 24, once I start my regular trips to GA this fall I'll find out what it actually gets on the highway. Regardless, my gas 16 Pro4x XD gets as good or better mileage than my 2wd 04 Titan and rides Soooo much better! I'm happy with my pick.

·
48 Posts
I have been thinking about this same thing, I believe at this point, a gas version is a better choice for me, but I really want a diesel truck. Most of my driving is in town right now, but when she wife retires, we will be traveling more.

·
1,979 Posts
I have been thinking about this same thing, I believe at this point, a gas version is a better choice for me, but I really want a diesel truck. Most of my driving is in town right now, but when she wife retires, we will be traveling more.
Don't buy a Diesel just because , it's really not worth the possible hassle & extra expense.

·
124 Posts
The gas definitely has its benefits but for me the mpg gain easily pays for the cost of the diesel. On multiple full tanks of city driving I averaged 16.5 mpg. I recently took a trip that was 130 miles one way that was a mix of city and highway (a little more then half was highway) and averaged 19.9 mpg. The Cummins is steadily improving with every mile feeling much stronger, freer, and gaining mpg as it breaks in. The manual states theres a 6,000 mile break in period, Im currently a little over 2,000, so it will be interesting to see where she ends up once fully broken in.

Having said that, there are a few draw backs to the diesel. If your going to primarily drive in the city, fully expect regeneration to happen every 500 miles or so. Theres nothing worse then pulling into your destination right as the regen process is initiating.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I drove them both ... Diesel for me.

I will mostly use the truck for long trips and pulling the toys.
However, after driving both the diesel just drove and felt better on the road. I know that's weird but the gas was "bouncy and not sure footed"

·
570 Posts
.... for me the mpg gain easily pays for the cost of the diesel. On multiple full tanks of city driving I averaged 16.5 mpg. I recently took a trip that was 130 miles one way that was a mix of city and highway (a little more then half was highway) and averaged 19.9 mpg....
That is a rather bold claim and simple math will show it is questionable at best.
Let's assume average fuel of both diesel and gas are $2.50/ gallon
Let's assume everyone drives 15,000 miles / year
We will also give diesel a 20 mpg rating (high) and gas a 15 mpg rating (low), which is generous for the diesel.

The diesel owner spends $1875/ year
The gas owner spends $2500/ year
That is a $625 / year difference. So AT BEST, it will take 8 years to get your return back.

That of course is not including the extra cost of filters, DEF, and other costs of a added costs of a diesel.

·
129 Posts
Up here in Alberta I'm getting same Mpg's out of my XD that I was getting with my Eco boost that had a 30L bigger tank and diesel is 25 cents a litre cheaper so I'm saving a **** of a lot more than 600 bucks a year in fuel with the diesel XD. I'm just thrilled with it compared to my Eco boost. It's also killing my 6.4 diesel in mileage. I'm very pleased with it!

·
124 Posts
Not a bold claim at all. Your calculations are based on the diesel being $5,000 more then the gas. I can personally tell you that you can without question get the diesel for far less, as I did.

·
348 Posts
Nihilus, I agree with you. Here in FL, diesel averages 10 to 15% higher than gas, with the MPG advantage of let's say 20% diesel over gas, plus the added cost of DEF, the often regeneration due to short in town driving, added cost of maintenance, it made more sense for me to go gas. Plus, I went from getting a SV 2wd, with diesel, to a Pro4X, with the Fosgate System for less. I'm happy.
Oh, I just got back from Orlando, 85 MPH, no bounce, no " not sure footed" at all on I4, felt great, rode like a dream.

·
48 Posts
Don't buy a Diesel just because , it's really not worth the possible hassle & extra expense.
Can't argue that point at all.
This is the first time in several years that diesel has been cheaper than gas.
My biggest concerns about the diesel are the expense of the pollution control equipment in the future.
As I understand it, you can't just remove soot filter, and stuff. and I am not familiar with Diesel engines, and their maintenance.
I do not drive much, right now, as I run my business out of my home.
My 2000 Frontier only has 89,900 miles. and I have spend 5 years getting that last 9k on it.
Still, I may sell the motorhome later, and buy a travel trailer, or a smaller 5th wheel, and need something to pull it with.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Going off fuel prices since I bought my diesel xd and being in central ontario. Diesel has been pretty consistent 15 cents a litre cheaper then regular gas.
And the results of testing the new gas xd compared to my diesel. Mine is about 2.5L/100km better than the gas. With my average km a year sitting around 37000km. With those numbers the diesel works to almost $1700 a year cheaper. But with those k's the diesel will need about $200 fuel filters, with my def consumption another $120 for the year. And dealer done oil change for the diesel averages $20-$30 more then the gas. So with those almost $400 extra charges it costs to run the diesel. So far since I have taken ownership of my xd. The average for the year will be roughly $1300 cheaper over the gas.
I'm happy with that, plus I like my 5L

·
203 Posts
to each their own. Everyone has different needs, buy what you want and don't look back. If it turns out to be a turd, flush the toilet, wipe your ass, and move on.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts