Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened in the past during the soft regen, but once again it is here. If the truck is at idle you start to smell exhaust/fuel in the cab. If you change to recirculate from fresh air, you don't get the smell. But it is definitely there in fresh air mode. I would take it to the dealership, but I need it for a trip this weekend and who knows how long they will need it to figure out what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Definitely sounding like this is becoming the norm right or wrong. If you are in regen and stop/go situation best to turn to recirculation.
I know the ram ecodiesel had an issue with diesel in the cab when they came out.
My first regen was bad in a drive through. But the ones since have been driving. Nissan could have been proactive to have the system switch automatically to recirculation once regen starts.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think this is from an exhaust leak or from somewhere in the turbo piping. If it is the piping, I would think you would be losing boost pressure which would cause too much fuel to be delivered and more regens. I may be wrong, but I would also like to have a fix and not a work around by changing to recirculating air.

·
404 Posts
I would think this is from an exhaust leak or from somewhere in the turbo piping. If it is the piping, I would think you would be losing boost pressure which would cause too much fuel to be delivered and more regens. I may be wrong, but I would also like to have a fix and not a work around by changing to recirculating air.
Agreed. It's gets so bad at times that it darn near chokes me while driving.

·
167 Posts
Never had a problem with smell in cab either. Only a slight smell outside once Regen has kicked in while driving then I parked it and you could smell the diesel smell.

·
1,300 Posts
Mine will let a lil stank in the cab a little bit here and that but no where near the amount my old 2011 Ram 6.7L did that was just aweful... There is no exhaust leak on these trucks the fumes from the regen get cough under the box and the will travel up when the wind is right. All new diesels do this it's normal. Unfortunately.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to take it to the dealership after my trip this weekend and when it enters regen

·
41 Posts
So does the Titan tell you when it's in Regen on the dash? My Duramax hasn't said anything about it, nor has it said I needed more DEF yet. It just says DEF OK, I'm at 2200 miles so far.
Also, I have noticed a strong diesel smell at times, mostly after shutting it off and walking around the bed. I think it's normal, but not if it's making it into the cab obviously.

·
28 Posts
I have 1500 miles and mine hasn't regened yet I don't go long trips often so is soft regeneration automatic? And has anyone noticed the acceleration is better sometimes than others trucks seems pick up better if I ease into the throttle rather than punching it

·
404 Posts
Agreed. It's gets so bad at times that it darn near chokes me while driving.
id have it at the dealership raising h3ll.

then again i'm sure you're sick of the dealership by now lol
Haha it'll be back soon enough. They're replacing my drivers side seat under warranty now. The bottom was wearing away prematurely. I now have a very annoying clicking sound coming from the rear passenger door while moving down the interstate at 60+mph. I think it's coming from the trim piece that goes around the top of the window but it's difficult to know for sure. Perhaps it needs some glue or something.

·
404 Posts
I have 1500 miles and mine hasn't regened yet I don't go long trips often so is soft regeneration automatic? And has anyone noticed the acceleration is better sometimes than others trucks seems pick up better if I ease into the throttle rather than punching it
Unfortunately, it does it without telling you. I wish the light popped up on the dash everytime but it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Footloose check the small bottom seat belt cover front passenger seat. I had a clicking too found that to be the culprit

·
154 Posts
i had a weird diesel smell too but only once and it didn't smell when nissan was checking it out so i guess its fine now. but footloose i was having same issue with the noise i took it in and they said its bent weather lining on the door they are replacing it now.

·
99 Posts
How would you describe the smell you are getting in your cab?

I'm unsure if I'm in regen mode but I get a "untreated" diesel odor recently when stopping at lights/stop signs. I have 97 miles on my truck. I'd describe the smell as the same as being behind a school bus with the Pre-CA emissions (if that makes sense). Smells like it's coming right off the turbo.

Does this sound like an exhaust leak to you guys or regen related odor? It's definitely not the exhaust piping breaking in.

·
99 Posts
I'm on a rant here. Has anyone gotten any relief from the dealer tightening exhaust clamps / intercooler ? I can barely drive the truck without feeling like in coming down with CO poisoning.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts