Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Oregon,
When I heard that Nissan was going to build a diesel truck, I said I want it to replace my Ridgeline. This is why I joined this forum. I am more interested in its towing capability and its diesel engine. The wife and I wanted something to tow our Lance trailer (5K) with ease, without having to go to ¾ ton models, and the Titan seem to fit the bill. Hopefully this site will help convince myself that Titan is the one and not the Ram.

·
19 Posts
I bought my 04 titan for towing a 5000 lb camper and it has never been a problem. I personally would not want to pull much more than 5500 with the old one. It would do more: but it would not do it with confidence, in my opinion.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum! Are you thinking of the Ram rebel as the alternative truck?
Not quite, was looking at the 2500 SLT with the 6.7. I understand almost any V-8 pick up truck would the trick, it would also do 8 to mpg while I'm pulling the trailer. As I mentioned my Honda is underpowered going thru the passes that I go thru. I'm after a better mpg than the Ridgeline with more power. My understanding is a stronger engine would use less fuel. Correct me please if I'm wrong? A friend gets almost the same mpg with or without his trailer, should I believe him or is he full of it?

·
3 Posts
Well SerKel i can tell you my personal experience with fuel economy in the titan is Stellar its good but (canadian here) i get about 13-14L/100km on the high way and about 15-16 city unladen which is somewhere in the neighbour hood of 17-18mpg highway and 14-15 city mpg but this is no little truck the ridgeline would look tiny next to an XD. With that said i have a heavier foot. if your trailer is only 5k and you are looking for better fuel economy this may not be the right choice, this truck will get substantially better fuel economy over a 1/2 ton gas truck while towing heavier loads but comes pretty equal under lighter loads and the cost of the truck versus gas will greatly put you in the negative as the platinum is what, 62000 american or 76,000 canadian. when you can grab a dodge eco diesel for 15k less thats alot of fuel

·
72 Posts
Man, where are these cheap dodges at? Not the Seattle area. I see lots of dodge advertisements for 40-45k$, but if you actually go down to the dealer and read the Windows on similer loaded trucks they are right there with the Titans. 50-60k. Buddy just paid 56k for his 2016 3.0 Eco (exactly what. Paid for XD). In the shop 28 days and counting, 3 more and he can return it under lemon law!
The XD is oversized for what you want to pull, but I'd go with it anyway, just all round a better truck I think.

·
203 Posts
This dealership is a prime example of where you can buy a dodge for $10k or more below msrp....16 Laramie 4x4 Eco for mid 40's all day long. And most dealerships will negotiate down to this price, Dennis Dillon is just one that advertises it right up front and saves hours of negotiation time.
http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com

That being said, for the op's need, the eco diesel might be a better option for towing 5k. The truck will handle it fine, and it'll get great mileage compared to the xd or any gasser. Take the 6.7 cummins off the table for your needs unless you just want to spend more money.
With all this considered, I have yet to own either truck and am up in the air whether my next truck will be the xd or a 2500 ram. I'm leaning towards the xd right now because quality of the truck seems to be phenomenal compared to dodge. Just read around on the forums and you can quickly get an idea for the trucks with common issues and the ones without them.
I love my ecoboost, but hop on the ecoboost forum and they have pages dedicated to problems and even blown engine threads. If it happens often enough that a forum page becomes dedicated to it.....well, it might just be more common of an issue than it should be.

·
857 Posts
Now that's my kind of dealer, it's a smart move since dealers should be in this for the long haul, having customers return is what matters which can make up for the big cut they let to the customer.

Seen it happen myself from working on the service end at dealers when I was younger. Make sense.

·
72 Posts
So clicked on that. When looking at the more loaded ram 1500's the msrp is very similar to the XD. Have you purchased from that outfit? I ask cause I've seen that dozens of times, the ADVERTISED sales price is often BS.
It's only that price if you are a vet, in school, over 65, blond with nice **** and can read brail.

·
203 Posts
I have not bought from them. I found them on a cummins ram forum, and they were highly recommended by folks on there. I did call them to talk about the price....the sale price is the price every tom, dick, and Harry gets when they come in...the "as low as" price is all the extra rebates for special circumstances(college kid, over 65, etc.... )But even without those, a 3.0 Laramie is discounted from$56k msrp to $44k sale price for everyone.
If I do end up going ram, I'll probably catch a 1 way flight up there, then enjoy the road trip on my way home!! Or just haggle with my local dealer and make them match it, plus throw in 2 year free oil changes :)
I'm really hoping towards the end of the year when 2017's are rolling out Nissan will start discounting the xd's better.

·
920 Posts
If your not in a rush to make a purchase, perhaps wait a few months until the XD gasser comes out as well as the regular Titan. There will be more configurations and engine options available. One of those may be just as suitable for your needs without paying a diesel premium.

·
203 Posts
If your not in a rush to make a purchase, perhaps wait a few months until the XD gasser comes out as well as the regular Titan. There will be more configurations and engine options available. One of those may be just as suitable for your needs without paying a diesel premium.
Good point! In seem to always forget there is going to be a 390hp gas version of the xd out soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts