Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you folks have had their Titan for a little while now. Has anybody towed something somewhere just for the fact that the truck is supposed to be the cats meow for towing.
That is the reason that I am somewhat interested of getting the Titian. It's got a diesel engine that means more power and maybe a better fuel economy over gasser (maybe!) and the capacity to pull my 6,000lbs.Lance trailer. I know any 1/2 ton rig would do the trick, but at 10 mpg while pulling my TT **** my Honda does that with a 6, just a little slower up the hill. Just want something better and the Titan might fit the bill. Don't need a sledge hammer to kill a fly i.e. Ram 2500 (6.7) but on the other hand, someone told me the Ram gets the same mpg with or without towing something.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on that one?

·
857 Posts
Did you by any chance seen any of the towing reviews? I believe TFL Truck did one, along with some other Truck publications (truck trend?)

·
26 Posts
Highway mileage, unloaded, is in the 20-21mpg range according to Motor Trend testing. Thats nearly the same as the 1/2 ton gassers like the 3.5l ecoBoost and 6.2L Chevy. The 2.7L ecoBoost does slightly better in Motor Trend testing. The Nissan 5.0L does much better than the 3/4 ton gassers but also seems to be not much better than the 3/4 ton diesels. Motor Trend testing gives it a slight advantage over the 6.7L Cummins I-6 which yielded 17.6mpg highway. Anecdotal evidence from 3/4 ton diesel owners can have you believe the XD gets much worse mileage than the big diesels. The king of full size pickup mileage is the Ram's 3.0 EcoDeisel which is in the 27mpg range.

Testing for mileage while towing across a number of trucks has only been done by the less than scientific TFLTruck folks. Their "Ike Gauntlet Test" produced the following results:

2016 Titan XD, 8.44 sec up. 3.9 mpg. 10,700 lbs

2014 Ford F150, 3.5 ecoboost. 7:36 sec up. 2.9 mpg. 10,800 lbs, 35% worse mileage than the XD

2014 Chevy Silverado, 6,2L. 8.26 sec up. 3.4 mpg. 10,800 lbs, 14% worse mileage than the XD

2014 Nissan Titan 5.7L. 9:08 sec up, 2.8 mpg. 10,800 lbs, 39% worse mileage than the XD

2015 Ford F-150 SuperCab, 2.7L, 7:38 sec up, 4.3 mpg, 7,700 lbs, 9% better mileage than the XD

2015 Ram 1500 Quad 4×2 3.0L, 9:03 sec up, 6.1 mpg, 7,850 lbs, 36% better mileage than the XD

2015 Ram 2500 HD 6.7L Diesel, 7:33 sec up, 4.4 mpg, 13,000 lbs, 11% better mileage than the XD

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L Gas, 10:38 sec up, 2.5mpg, 13,000, 56% worse mileage than the XD

While these numbers don't predict the mileage you may get under a specific towing situation, it does show, that under load, it gets better mileage than all the 1/2 ton gassers except the 2.7 ecoBoost, which was pulling a lighter load. The most powerful 1/2 ton trucks from the big 3 complete the TFL test faster than the Titan XD.

The king of towing mileage, especially with your 6000# trailer would be the Ram ecoDiesel. But you give up a bit of power for that mileage.

The 3/4 diesel trucks towing several thousand pounds more get equal or better mileage while going faster under TFL's testing. 3/4 ton gassers, towing several thousand pounds more are much slower and get much worse mileage in TFL's tests.

So what does all this mean? For towing, expect 10-20% better mileage than a 1/2 ton gasser when towing in the 11,000lb range. Towing 6000lbs, I would guess the XD would have between a 5-15% advantage over a 1/2 ton gasser.

I would expect an average of 13-14mpg highway average out of the XD with a 6000lb travel trailer in tow.

And no truck that I know of gets the same mileage towing as empty. Ford's gas V10 was close, but it still got worse mileage towing.

Old Ag

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the TFL and the opinions but not the truck trend. I tough that the TFL gauntlet test was ok, but I've also the tow video on the flat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2bdwn6qyaw#t=457 but it's just enough for me. The 11 miles per gallon as tested just don't cut it, there's got to be more then these guys. I want to hear more about towing, not just going up "one" hill or driving 100 miles with different weight.

·
3 Posts
Plenty of towing power...Poor fuel economy

I have 1,000 miles on my XD and about 500 miles have been towing my 40 foot gooseneck trailer. It has plenty of pulling power and actually surprised me how well it accelerates from a dead stop with a load and how well it will hold cruise at 75mph even uphill. Fuel economy while towing (about 13,000 lb load) has been a consistent 7.5
mpg, 16/17 mpg hwy empty and 13/14 mpg in town. Somewhat disappointing as I thought it should easily get 20mpg hwy running empty but unless you set the cruise UNDER 65 MPH, the fuel economy stinks. Another disappointment is the 26 gal fuel tank... At 7.5 MPG towing, I have to refuel at 185 miles! I traded a 16 Ram Ecodiesel for this Titan as I needed a gooseneck puller... The ride, drive, and overall fuel economy on the Ram Ecodiesel was far superior but the Titan XD wins the towing battle easily.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that's what I'm looking for , real life towing experience...keep them coming. Thanks DMC 123. Please let us know if mileage per gallon increase as the weight decreases. I imagine if the load was half , the mpg would be better , don't you think!

·
14 Posts
I have 1,000 miles on my XD and about 500 miles have been towing my 40 foot gooseneck trailer. ... Fuel economy while towing (about 13,000 lb load) has been a consistent 7.5 mpg
What model XD do you have? By my math the payload rating on the bed couldn't handle a gooseneck that heavy

The ride, drive, and overall fuel economy on the Ram Ecodiesel was far superior
You're one of the few (that I've seen) that says the ride on the XD is worse than a big3 truck. Care to expand on that a little?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
What model XD do you have? By my math the payload rating on the bed couldn't handle a gooseneck that heavy
He's over but I don't think the truck will care from an engineering stand point. The "Safe" "Legal" towing and payload numbers are a product of the little sticker and curb wieght...SAE ratings play out worst case scenario conditions. Do I condone overloading?...NO...Will I?...might happen a time or two. Trust me when I say I've seen waaay worse living in the Midwest and out in the fields growing up. You see guys pushing 40k with wet round bales or implements with a 40ft goose neck on an old f250 and tires up in the dang wheel wells. Scary ain't even the word! These farmers have been doing it for years and if they can get more in a trip, they will. This all with trucks with far less HP and towing/payload numbers. 2 or 3k over on this truck isn't going to hurt it, but it may not perform as tested in regards to speeds and acceleration up certain grades, altitudes, and temperatures. Braking is only marginally different, although engine braking and grade shifting may not be as effective due to the extra weight since we don't have a functional exhaust brake. Again, your at your own risk and risk others if you get it wrong and something happens, the weight police may have some choice words and stiff fines. It's a gamble even over the road guys and gals take to pad their bottom line...running heavy can really eat your paycheck if they pull you aside.:wink2:

BigRed

·
3 Posts
I have a Platinum Reserve XD 4x4 and I was referring to the ride and drive of my 16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel... Just my personal opinion.

Attachments

·
72 Posts
I have a Platinum Reserve XD 4x4 and I was referring to the ride and drive of my 16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel... Just my personal opinion.
Dmc would you ever consider putting supplemental air springs in the rear? I was thinking of doing it myself when I get mine. Granted my trailer is only up to 7k pounds depending on how much fuel I put in it.

Attachments

·
10 Posts
That XD is squatting more than I expected in your pic. Tongue weight is what is keeping me in an F250 and not an XD. Once more XD's get on the lot, I want to 'sneak' one away on a test drive and hook it up to my trailer. Philip.

·
10 Posts
Just purchased a Platinum Reserve 4x4 last Saturday currently getting 20.4 unloaded on the highway and 14.5 combined (this number seems to slowly keep increasing). I have 276 miles on it. End of the month I will be going camping towing a 7K pound airstream. Will let you know what my mpg is after the trip.

·
404 Posts
Cool! I'll be towing 6800lb travel trailer next month + 4 people and some cargo.

·
22 Posts
Im new to forum but drive diesel trucks ! First this truck is a very nice truck ! It's purpose is exactly what nissan intended ! It's a stable truck that will tow 8- 13 pounds without being all over the road and knowing you have something back behind you ! A half ton will not do it safely ! I've had them before ! Yes it will pull that much but not with confidence ! Power train is stout ! I've got a 2011 duramax it of course will not out pull it ! But if this truck was out at the time I would have purchased it !

·
49 Posts
[/IMG]https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/salestaxweb/ExitOrReturnOrFileAnother.do

Im towing 10,000 Lbs . Tows like a champ. I would not be worried about 13,000 LBS. The Titan XD gives you confidence when towing heavy loads. Im very satisfied in ride quality and power..IM getting 13mpg towing and 15 city not towing.. no highway yet. My fuel economy keeps getting better the more I drive it.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12928383_10154738638397166_1962798070423465187_n.jpg?oh=0aff15e0b7a0f4993c0a99fddd2c3483&oe=5779E631

·
129 Posts
Im new to forum but drive diesel trucks ! First this truck is a very nice truck ! It's purpose is exactly what nissan intended ! It's a stable truck that will tow 8- 13 pounds without being all over the road and knowing you have something back behind you ! A half ton will not do it safely ! I've had them before ! Yes it will pull that much but not with confidence ! Power train is stout ! I've got a 2011 duramax it of course will not out pull it ! But if this truck was out at the time I would have purchased it !
This is exactly why I bought this truck! To many people are thinking it should be one or the other(half ton or one ton) and to me it strikes the perfect balance. I moved from a f350 to a f150 with max tow and it was just plain dangerous with my 32ft travel trailer(I had airlift on back). This truck rides 10 times better than my f350 and seems better thought out. My f150 yes rode smooth and got better mpg but towing was an absolute nightmare along with towing fuel economy as it never came off boost it was working so hard. This truck isn't for everybody for sure but I feel like this truck was made for me and what I was asking for for quite some time!

·
1,300 Posts
^^^^^ What he said. I just pulled my sled trailer 8.5x20 for a bit to see how it was with our side by side in it, total weight around 6K and It pulled like a dream. Defiantly was suprised on how it felt and there really was minimal sag like an inch so I'm very impressed with it. Also the tow mode works very well on take off and stopping.

·
658 Posts
[/IMG]https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/salestaxweb/ExitOrReturnOrFileAnother.do

Im towing 10,000 Lbs . Tows like a champ. I would not be worried about 13,000 LBS. The Titan XD gives you confidence when towing heavy loads. Im very satisfied in ride quality and power..IM getting 13mpg towing and 15 city not towing.. no highway yet. My fuel economy keeps getting better the more I drive it.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12928383_10154738638397166_1962798070423465187_n.jpg?oh=0aff15e0b7a0f4993c0a99fddd2c3483&oe=5779E631
So, you're towing 10k lbs but not on the highway? How can you give an accurate assesment/review of towing if you haven't done it at highway speeds, isn't that where towing gets the most squirrelly? Or did I totally misread your comment? :question:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts