Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New Member here from Colorado. We live at 8300 ft and commute 80-100 miles a day. We also live the "Colorado" lifestyle meaning hauling dirtbikes, mtn biking, skiing, wakeboard boat, etc..etc... I'm using a Jeep Grand Cherokee currently to do all this work and with 100K on the clock, I'm ready to upgrade to a truck that can get around 20 mpg combined.

I've been very interested in this truck for the past year or so and am purposely waiting to buy until I can test drive one of these at the very least.

I'm currently cross-shopping a highly spec'd F-150 Ecoboost as well, but know those don't get any mileage when towing much like my current Jeep.

Anywho, looking forward to spending some time here.

Cheers!

·
49 Posts
Welcome to the boards, many of us are in the same boat. I recently scratched the F150 because you can't add Max Payload in any of their higher trim levels. And if you and Max Payload in the Larriat it removes the center console and all the cool boy options.

·
313 Posts
Welcome to the boards, many of us are in the same boat. I recently scratched the F150 because you can't add Max Payload in any of their higher trim levels. And if you and Max Payload in the Larriat it removes the center console and all the cool boy options.
?? I can build a Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost with the HD Payload package complete with bucket seats and centre console.

But I'm limited to the 500a options package.

Like you say, any attempt to go to the higher bling packages removes HD Payload, and Lariat is the highest trim available. It's also not available in my favourite cab config: SCab+6.5' bed.

So we're waiting for the Titan XD to see what options and configs are available.

Oh, and welcome to the O.P.!

·
313 Posts
F-150 is also more expensive right? Doesn't that aluminium frame come at a cost?
It's an Al body. The frame is high strength steel. And I do think Ford raised the MSRP in 2015 along with the Al body. As it's a new model, I'm not seeing any huge discounts right now; but maybe next August.

Still, I can guarantee you that the F150 will be cheaper than a similar Nissan XD just because it doesn't have a Cummins diesel.

But even comparing the Ford diesel Superdutys to the Nissan XD Cummins, a lot will depends upon where you are and what you are looking for. All the manufacturer's are selling some very, very expensive luxury trucks that didn't exist 20 years ago. But if you try hard enough, you can get a "stripper" diesel at lower cost, at least from Ford. Not sure about the Nissan XD.

And locally we have a big-discount, high volume Ford dealer who advertises lower prices than just about anybody. I suspect that there's no way the local Nissan dealer will match his discount prices for similar vehicles. But perhaps there's a large volume Nissan dealer somewhere in Ontario that will.

Right now I can get a an F350 Powerstroke with all the options I want for Can$55K. But it's way more truck than I need or want. Hopefully the Can$ prices for the Nissan XD will be less than that.

We'll see.

·
608 Posts
I mean I am willing to pay more for diesel, but I'm not really looking to pay more for aluminium. I just don't think there is a huge benefit for the price.

·
235 Posts
Not sure about the aluminum body but I know the Titan XD has aluminum-alloy cylinder heads. Let's hope it stays internal because raw aluminum costs more than raw steel and any repairs will be a pain.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Not sure about the aluminum body but I know the Titan XD has aluminum-alloy cylinder heads. Let's hope it stays internal because raw aluminum costs more than raw steel and any repairs will be a pain.
You do realize aluminum heads are not new technology? How exactly is an engine with aluminum heads a pain to repair?

·
665 Posts
I thought he might have meant that after I posted, but his post was a bit hazy to me.

In the long run, aluminum will have better resale value and significantly longer lifespan than a steel bodied work truck.

If you have an accident, yeah it probably will cost more to fix, but looking at the big picture over the lifespan of the truck aluminum will have a lower cost of ownership. Look how old some of the b-52's are...

·
658 Posts
I thought he might have meant that after I posted, but his post was a bit hazy to me.

In the long run, aluminum will have better resale value and significantly longer lifespan than a steel bodied work truck.

If you have an accident, yeah it probably will cost more to fix, but looking at the big picture over the lifespan of the truck aluminum will have a lower cost of ownership. Look how old some of the b-52's are...
IMO, aluminum is a perfectly fine material for the body of a vehicle. More expensive to repair? Thats why I have insurance. I have a 1979 Jeep CJ7 with a fiberglass tub. Why? The original steel body was rusted out, wont happen with aluminum.

·
608 Posts
If aluminium use gets increased will it lower the costs because of economies of scale? Is that why its more expensive? '

·
665 Posts
If aluminium use gets increased will it lower the costs because of economies of scale? Is that why its more expensive? '
Aluminum is expensive because there is less of it available than steel.

Steels main advantage is that we've been making it for centuries, so there is lots of it available and the infrastructure is there for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts