Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

Just a guy with a 2012 RAM 1500 4x4 with the tow package and the Hemi. I knew when I bought it that I'd be getting a camper and this summer I did. After hauling it over 11 and 12 thousand foot passes to get to camping spots, I realize I probably didn't get the right truck.

So, here I am trying to learn all I can about the XD and hoping that hauling a 6,000lb trailer will be easier with the XD over the RAM. The RAM just seems to work so hard pulling those passes.

·
857 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully the XD turns out being what you want it to be, I think there has been some journalists that put it through load test, TFL truck might be one of them.

·
313 Posts
So, here I am trying to learn all I can about the XD and hoping that hauling a 6,000lb trailer will be easier with the XD over the RAM. The RAM just seems to work so hard pulling those passes.
Anything with a turbo, diesel or gas, would be better where you are.

·
857 Posts
The industry needs to hurry up with bringing hybrid and electric trucks to market, electric has been known for great instant torque which can benefit us a lot.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Something like the Frontier with two Leaf motors, totaling 200hp and 400ft.lbs with 60kWh of battery would be a fantastic pickup. Not great for long distances but excellent as a shop truck in town.

·
22 Posts
Welcome fellow Coloradan! I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I have a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee and tow 6500lbs. Vail Pass/Eisenhowever etc... I'm down to 40mph or so towing. Guessing your Ram doesn't struggle quite as much as that, but it sounds like we're looking for the same reason.

I towed my trailer with a buddy's 2015 F150 Ecoboost and it had all the power in the world to go up the Ike pass at 70mph if I wanted. Turbo's are the answer out here and I'm looking at the Titan because it will also get the mileage to go with.

Plus everyone else has a ford...why not be different :)

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You

Welcome fellow Coloradan! I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I have a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee and tow 6500lbs. Vail Pass/Eisenhowever etc... I'm down to 40mph or so towing. Guessing your Ram doesn't struggle quite as much as that, but it sounds like we're looking for the same reason.

I towed my trailer with a buddy's 2015 F150 Ecoboost and it had all the power in the world to go up the Ike pass at 70mph if I wanted. Turbo's are the answer out here and I'm looking at the Titan because it will also get the mileage to go with.

Plus everyone else has a ford...why not be different :)
Thanks for the welcome and the good information Jd. I can really push the RAM and get 55 to 60 out of it up the pass, but I'm basically in 2nd gear and at the top of the torque curve at around 4000 RPMs. As you know, out here, so much of our driving is at altitude even if we aren't pulling a pass.

I had not even considered the F150 Ecoboost and this gives me more research subjects and something to use as a closer comparison perhaps.

In the end it will probably come down to how the unit is priced. Not looking for the top of the line trim, so maybe it will be within the budget.

I'll be watching to see how things go with you once the unit is available.

Cheers :grin2:

·
857 Posts
Something like the Frontier with two Leaf motors, totaling 200hp and 400ft.lbs with 60kWh of battery would be a fantastic pickup. Not great for long distances but excellent as a shop truck in town.
Just imagine what would be needed for a ford super duty or even this guy...

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Just imagine what would be needed for a ford super duty or even this guy...
A couple of Tesla batteries and drivetrain with a deeper reduction gear would probably do quite well. Remember, trains are motivated by electric motors, the only difference is their power is supplied by a diesel electric genset.

I was pleasantly surprised, I took my Leaf up a logging access road(Mt. Woodside, BC) climing a mountain with a steep grade and the energy consumption was much less than I expected. The only real issue is I was trying to go down the hill slow enough that the regen braking was less effective and I had to use the brakes a fair amount. If the Leaf had 50kW of regen instead of 30kW, I likely wouldn't have had to use the brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts