Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I thought it would be helpful to have a thread that can answer all the questions about "Deleting" the XD 5.0. I'm new to this as I'm sure many here are. Could you guys with more experience dumb it down and help answer the following questions:

1. What and who is the best system to go with, Ez Lynk? I'm sure there are a lot of tuners but what who is giving the best results?

2. Does the EZ Lynk tune allow me to keep the stock DEF system, and is this the best system?

3. If so can I later remove the stock DEF system and use the same tune?

4. What are the advantages to removing the DEF system?

5. How will tuning. removing the DEF, and going with a straight pipe setup effect passing emissions when I'm required to take my vehicle in for testing in North Carolina?

6. What complete systems are offer for the best overall results for towing and spirited drivability when not towing? (Less lag at take off)

7. Will I need to get a cold air intake with the tune, or will the stock box with a K&N replacement be fine?

8. What is the EGR?

9. What is a down pipe vs straight through exhaust?

10. What are the Cons of doing a complete delete? (excluding a voided warranty)

11. Can I leave the transmission stock and still achieve good performance?

12. What vital questions am I missing?

Sorry, a lot of questions I know. Some are answered in other posts I think. I'd like to stick to the facts as much as possible, but do value the opinions of those with experience.

If you could reference the question # when responding that would be helpful when scrolling.

Example: Answer #5 .... Your Text....

Thanks!!

·
1,298 Posts
#5 My first year, I had NC tags and went for inspection. They checked everything except emissions. They didn't seem to care....
#7 I am running stock air box with K&N and everything is fine.
#11 My tranny is stock. On level 2 which is supposed to be stock + 60hp....the truck gets up and goes!!!! I have not used level 3, 4 or 5 and have no interest in doing so... My understanding of level 5 is that you probably should upgrade the tranny if you use that setting often...

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#5 My first year, I had NC tags and went for inspection. They checked everything except emissions. They didn't seem to care....
#7 I am running stock air box with K&N and everything is fine.
#11 My tranny is stock. On level 2 which is supposed to be stock + 60hp....the truck gets up and goes!!!! I have not used level 3, 4 or 5 and have no interest in doing so... My understanding of level 5 is that you probably should upgrade the tranny if you use that setting often...
When you say "gets up and goes!!!!" Can you elaborate? Compared to stock would you say 30% better? What did you do to your exhaust?

I was thinking EZ Lynk and FloPro 4" race pipe with my stock exhaust to keep the noise on the same side. Thoughts?

·
1,298 Posts
When you say "gets up and goes!!!!" Can you elaborate? Compared to stock would you say 30% better? What did you do to your exhaust?

I was thinking EZ Lynk and FloPro 4" race pipe with my stock exhaust to keep the noise on the same side. Thoughts?
I never did a timed quarter mile or anything, but I would say 25% quicker is about right. I also get much less downshifting while towing/hauling on mountain grades through NC and PA.
I put a straight piece of pipe (same size as OEM) in place of the DPF junk and the truck is **** near at the same noise level as before....unless you stand on it! Then, you can hear the turbo and the exhaust free flowing.... Really nice! My wife says she notices NO difference in interior noise since the modifications.

Reactions: XDHunter

·
362 Posts
I never did a timed quarter mile or anything, but I would say 25% quicker is about right. I also get much less downshifting while towing/hauling on mountain grades through NC and PA.
I put a straight piece of pipe (same size as OEM) in place of the DPF junk and the truck is **** near at the same noise level as before....unless you stand on it! Then, you can hear the turbo and the exhaust free flowing.... Really nice! My wife says she notices NO difference in interior noise since the modifications.
Bikerndiver,
Where did you get the straight pipe? Was it the Flo Pro brand or just a plain 4" pipe with a flange on one end? I'm looking at the MBRP straight pipe with the flange.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
25% with what tune?

20 HP – Economy

40 HP – Tow

60 HP – Street

120 HP – Race

·
1,300 Posts
1. What and who is the best system to go with, Ez Lynk? I'm sure there are a lot of tuners but what who is giving the best results?
Ez Lynk is the platform to tune your truck with. HPP, PPEI, Calibrated Addiction are some of the companies that build the tune to be installed via Ez Lynk.

2. Does the EZ Lynk tune allow me to keep the stock DEF system, and is this the best system?
Yes,you can keep your DEF and DPF on the truck with Emission Friendly tunes.

3. If so can I later remove the stock DEF system and use the same tune?
Not really, you can remove the stock system at a later date but you will need to reinstall the tune with a "Race/ off road version.

4. What are the advantages to removing the DEF system?
When you Remove the DEF there is no more need for the exhaust fluid. The system on your truck will fail at some point its just a matter or time.

5. How will tuning. removing the DEF, and going with a straight pipe setup effect passing emissions when I'm required to take my vehicle in for testing in North Carolina?
You will not pass an emission test with a delete tune and a straight pipe.

6. What complete systems are offer for the best overall results for towing and spirited drivability when not towing? (Less lag at take off)
Most if not all will offer les lag and better take offs. As for towing they will vary as some have more torque and others have less on a similar tune.

7. Will I need to get a cold air intake with the tune, or will the stock box with a K&N replacement be fine?
Nope, stock is fine but if you want to hear the turbos scream get a cold air.

8. What is the EGR?
EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation assembly.

9. What is a down pipe vs straight through exhaust?
"Down" pipe is from your turbo to your main exhaust system. "Up" Pipe is from your exhaust manifolds to the turbo inlet.

10. What are the Cons of doing a complete delete? (excluding a voided warranty)
No more EGR gases going back into the engine (Soot). No more regens, no more DEF fluid = Better driveability, more power, more efficient, and best of all engine longevity ( saves fuel)

11. Can I leave the transmission stock and still achieve good performance?
Yes, Unless your going to run your truck 100% of the time with a 150HP tune than you will need your trans upgraded

12. What vital questions am I missing?
Over all Deletes are good if your going to keep your truck for a long time, or if your going to be doing a fair amount of towing or daily driving it. Over all deletes are good. Especially when you get a good tune.

Reactions: tcpip95

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the clear answers.

I think I'm going to go with the EZ Lynk with PPEI tune and FloPro 879 race pipe from Travis at Performance Diesel in Mooresville NC. He said uping to 4" or 5" straight pipes with no muffler won't make much of a performance difference. I don't want it to be loud while towing. I just got the K&N stock replacement filter today. I'm going to try to do a full video review with before and after fuel economy, and 0-60 for each tune. I'm surprised there are only 1 minute of less videos on this.

·
1,298 Posts
Bikerndiver,
Where did you get the straight pipe? Was it the Flo Pro brand or just a plain 4" pipe with a flange on one end? I'm looking at the MBRP straight pipe with the flange.
I bought it from someone here on this forum...don't know the brand.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
80 Posts
Most positive reviews and most trouble free from a lot of the posts I've been seeing... Ppei right there on their heels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
1,298 Posts
Flopro 4" race pipe kit hooks to factory downpipe and factory rear section, no cutting.

That's probably what I have, since it bolted right up and the tailpipe continued to use the same hangers.... And, again...it sounds great when you get on it, but quiet in the truck when cruising!

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you guys ordered your Ez Lynk, did you have to give your VIN? Did it come with the tunes pre installed?
How does it update?

·
80 Posts
When you guys ordered your Ez Lynk, did you have to give your VIN? Did it come with the tunes pre installed?
How does it update?
Yea, order it right from the tuner you want, should come with the tunes you want...

It's all handled via the app on your mobile device... files are sent to it, then you upload them to the ezlynk when your connected to it the next time...

·
16 Posts
Dont Do K&N

Thanks for the clear answers.

I think I'm going to go with the EZ Lynk with PPEI tune and FloPro 879 race pipe from Travis at Performance Diesel in Mooresville NC. He said uping to 4" or 5" straight pipes with no muffler won't make much of a performance difference. I don't want it to be loud while towing. I just got the K&N stock replacement filter today. I'm going to try to do a full video review with before and after fuel economy, and 0-60 for each tune. I'm surprised there are only 1 minute of less videos on this.
Kinda bringing this one back from the dead. Avoid K&N. most stock filters flow more air than your motor needs and is not restricting anything. K&N can flow more air (do you REALLY need it?), it flows more as it is less restrictive, it's less restrictive as it has 'larger' holes for air to go thru, which means it lets larger dirt particles go through, which = more engine wear.

Has anyone dyno'd a tuned Titan (say +60hp w/ and w/o K&N?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts