Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at the specs on the XD, it seems that Nissan could overcome one of its issues by offering up an HD payload option.

The rear axle is rated at 4900#. That is very conservative for the 10.5" AAM axle. Usually they are rated at 6K+.

The tires, even on a truck with 20" wheels are E range 265/60R20's. The max load for these tires should be over 3000#'s per tire.

So why not raise the GVWR from 8800 or so to 9900. Raise the rear axle rating to 5900#. Payload would go up a thousand pounds to 2500-2700#s depending on the trim level.

Don't think you would have to change a thing. Even the rear suspension may be able to handle it as it doesn't squat that much with a full payload as is. If not, a revised spring pack is all that is needed.

This could be a little more than a paper exercise. It would make the goose neck hitch useful for something other than towing empty trailers around.

This is really the only thing holding me back from buying one of these.

Old Ag

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
So looking at the specs on the XD, it seems that Nissan could overcome one of its issues by offering up an HD payload option.

The rear axle is rated at 4900#. That is very conservative for the 10.5" AAM axle. Usually they are rated at 6K+.

The tires, even on a truck with 20" wheels are E range 265/60R20's. The max load for these tires should be over 3000#'s per tire.

So why not raise the GVWR from 8800 or so to 9900. Raise the rear axle rating to 5900#. Payload would go up a thousand pounds to 2500-2700#s depending on the trim level.

Don't think you would have to change a thing. Even the rear suspension may be able to handle it as it doesn't squat that much with a full payload as is. If not, a revised spring pack is all that is needed.

This could be a little more than a paper exercise. It would make the goose neck hitch useful for something other than towing empty trailers around.

This is really the only thing holding me back from buying one of these.

Old Ag
I agree the axle is probably under rated, but by how much?

According to Nissan "The rear differential measures 9.84 inches with 3.5-inch axle tubes, while the front differential (4x4 models) measures 9.25 inches. Both are manufactured by American Axle. Also available is an Electronic Locking Rear Differential."

Link: (http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2016-nissan-titan-xd-press-kit)

The rear is a semi-floating...so not really the AAM 10.5 as per ram who now migrated to larger models. It's a different beast all together (AAM lists a 9.84/250mm axle on their site). Maybe the differential carrier is 9.84 and the ring gears is 13in? Here's to hoping. The front axle isn't a product of issue given that we know that the lower control arms and spring rates would be the deciding factor in front axle weight.

Heck, to toss in another wrench, the dang trans is listed as an Aisin A466ND...which is not the AS69RC we initially were lead to believe due to the PTO option not being there as I had thought earlier. Casting is present on the trans, but no cover plate on either side. Maybe a de-rated version (AS68RC?).

I wish someone would snap some pictures of the part numbers and housings specifically so we could find out what we're working with...lol! Nissan as also made errors in press releases before on specs...who knows:unsure:

Going to the Philly auto show tomorrow morning, I will see if I can snag some better photos to work with, I'll crawl under and lay there for an hour if I have to!:wink2:

·
15 Posts
Payload is the only thing for me also. I tested a PRO 4X luxury and the sticker on the door said 1433 pounds payload. Excellent brakes. Top marks for the power and smoothness of the Cummins 5.0. High quality feel. A true premium product. You can pull a big trailer or haul 3 passengers but you can do both at the same time. I don't get it.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Payload is the only thing for me also. I tested a PRO 4X luxury and the sticker on the door said 1433 pounds payload. Excellent brakes. Top marks for the power and smoothness of the Cummins 5.0. High quality feel. A true premium product. You can pull a big trailer or haul 3 passengers but you can do both at the same time. I don't get it.
I'm in the same boat but will likely buy it anyway. I really wanted this truck to tow a light Fiver...but now I might be forced to stay with a tag trailer in the future. Such a heavily built platform but with a payload that doesn't do it justice. Maybe a delete and removal of some unneeded hardware would net me some more capacity. Who knows. I get the "Half-ton" ride, but I would have easily enjoyed a bit of sacrificed ride to facilitate the higher numbers. I'm shootin for a Pro-4X with the lux package as well. Just a head shaker regarding the payload numbers:dry:

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...According to Nissan "The rear differential measures 9.84 inches with 3.5-inch axle tubes, ...
I have seen conflicting information on this as well. In one place its called the AAM 250mm, which is the diff in the IRS ZL1 Camaro. Four Wheeler magazine ID's it as the 10.5AAM. Then later identifies it as the AAM250. An AAM250 with 3.5" axle tubes is a strange bird indeed. TruckTrend ID's it as the 10.5AAM, very similar to the old Power Wagon axle. Nissan, in one of their early press releases said "The rear differential measures 13.0 inches with 3.5-inch axle tubes." At any rate, AAM doesn't offer anything as low as 3.92 ratio in the AMM250 or lower.

Here's a couple of photos from what I think are production spec XD's:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-...the-2016-nissan-titan-xd-pro-4x/photo-03.html
http://www.mydealehost.com/digitals...16-nissan-titan-new-axle-and-differential.jpg

Now that I look at it, it looks more like an 9.5AAM than an 10.5AAM.

Seems very similar to what's under the NV3500:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27367865/gotomsg/27942467.cfm

In the NV, you can't go as low as 3.92. So the XD definitely has some sort of one off axle.

We'll see if the part numbers are similar to the NV3500. That version has a rating of just under 6000#'s. Of course its 8 lug. But semifloating.

BigRedcustoms, Take a wrench with you when you go to the auto show and pop the diff cover off, measure it and let us know. They won't notice.

Old Ag

·
15 Posts
I'm in the same boat but will likely buy it anyway. I really wanted this truck to tow a light Fiver...but now I might be forced to stay with a tag trailer in the future. Such a heavily built platform but with a payload that doesn't do it justice. Maybe a delete and removal of some unneeded hardware would net me some more capacity. Who knows. I get the "Half-ton" ride, but I would have easily enjoyed a bit of sacrificed ride to facilitate the higher numbers. I'm shootin for a Pro-4X with the lux package as well. Just a head shaker regarding the payload numbers:dry:
If you are in a jurisdiction that doesn't check for weight violations and don't bring your trailer to ones that do you should be fine. My issue is that I want to travel all over with 900 lbs on the hitch, 700 lbs worth of people (4 adults) and 300 pounds of camping gear under a 130 pound canopy. It would also be nice to put running boards - on (100 lbs??). No I don't need a 3/4 ton with over 3500 lbs payload and a diesel with 900 lb.ft of torque. I need a tweener.:serious:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
In the NV, you can't go as low as 3.92. So the XD definitely has some sort of one off axle.

We'll see if the part numbers are similar to the NV3500. That version has a rating of just under 6000#'s. Of course its 8 lug. But semifloating.

BigRedcustoms, Take a wrench with you when you go to the auto show and pop the diff cover off, measure it and let us know. They won't notice.

Old Ag
Lol...I'll see what I can do in regards to getting part numbers off the axle and maybe even some measurements first hand. I would love to tear into the truck...someone will hopefully do a diff cover swap or add a locker to a non-4X model soon. I did see that although it's a 6 lug on the XD, they are larger studs than most other trucks I've seen. Heard this was done to not give the impression that it's a heavy-duty (tweener moniker), along with not using the full-floating setup, which adds a bit of cost and unsprung wieght on an already heavy truck. I definitely agree that an extra leaf or even persuading someone to hit print on some new door stickers could greatly improve the GVWR with everything currently installed. Didn't look to notice NV was semi, but good to know that they are confident in it for a commercial van platform.

BigRed

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
If you are in a jurisdiction that doesn't check for weight violations and don't bring your trailer to ones that do you should be fine. My issue is that I want to travel all over with 900 lbs on the hitch, 700 lbs worth of people (4 adults) and 300 pounds of camping gear under a 130 pound canopy. It would also be nice to put running boards - on (100 lbs??). No I don't need a 3/4 ton with over 3500 lbs payload and a diesel with 900 lb.ft of torque. I need a tweener.:serious:
I'm with ya, adds up quick for sure. Just baffles me to market a truck with a gooseneck and handicap it. 15% in the bed to pull anything close to even 8k and your already maxed with passengers. Tag, you can get by with 10% and use a W/D hitch, but then I'm stuck where your at. Lol...heck....give me an extra 500lbs and I'd be happy, doesn't take a rocket scientist to revise that amount given the chassis. but I digress

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truck trend says 10.5 rear out of the power wagon and 9.25 front

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1501-2016-nissan-titan-xd-first-look/
It's definitly not the Power Wagon axle. Here's the 2009 10.5AAM from the Power Wagon:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/0807-4wd-dodge-ram-power-wagon-off-road-truck/photo-07.html

Here's the XD's rear axle:
http://www.mydealehost.com/digitals...16-nissan-titan-new-axle-and-differential.jpg

In typical Nissan fashion it's a one-off.

Old Ag

·
313 Posts
The rear end differential should be fine. It and the tranny are built to handle the torque of the diesel engine.

But it needs a full-float rear axle, heftier wheels and stiffer suspension to get the GAWRs and payload up there.

But then you are in full 3/4 ton territory competing against another, more powerful, proven Cummins that gets the same mileage. And the other bigger diesels.

Don't think they want to compete with that. Rather they are marketing the luxury, soft ride. Which is about the only advantage they have against the bigger ones.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Well during my stay at the philly auto show, I took a brief nap under the titan XD. Shot some pics of the axle in various degrees and even fired off an email to AAM's specialty division for some specifics. Looks to be 9.84 Ring gear size judging by the measuring tape on the cover being 11in. and axles tubes are indeed 3.5in OD which also measure 11in. around in circumference. Also shot a few pictures of the T-Case and transmission...have a few part numbers (Aisin 5J-1025) but nothing online panned out as they are probably supply line identifiers and factory assy #'s. Notice the missing PTO access ports on either side of the trans. Different beast all together and gearing isn't the same 1st through 6th after crunching some numbers.

One thing to note, Front and Rear axle weights are rated 4900lbs each according to the sticker. So with 9800 capacity in theory, I wonder why they were so conservative...even then, I feel the rear axle could hold more...waiting on AAM to email me back. Subtract the truck at 7400lbs and you have 2,400 payload. Why would they label it as 8990? Odd right? Going to post a new thread regarding bed size and titan boxes.

BigRed

·
313 Posts
One thing to note, Front and Rear axle weights are rated 4900lbs each according to the sticker. So with 9800 capacity in theory, I wonder why they were so conservative...even then, I feel the rear axle could hold more...waiting on AAM to email me back. Subtract the truck at 7400lbs and you have 2,400 payload. Why would they label it as 8990? Odd right?
Not odd, they're all like that. GVWR is always a lot less than the sum of the two GAWRs.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Not odd, they're all like that. GVWR is always a lot less than the sum of the two GAWRs.
I guess I never noticed the correlation...but the fact that the front axle is rated (yes the springs and lower arms hold the weight) the same as the rear just odd. Most trucks' rear axles are higher for this GVWR...like almost 6000lbs. Color me stupid I guess...lol!

·
313 Posts
I guess I never noticed the correlation...but the fact that the front axle is rated (yes the springs and lower arms hold the weight) the same as the rear just odd. Most trucks' rear axles are higher for this GVWR...like almost 6000lbs. Color me stupid I guess...lol!
The RAM 2500 with 17" wheels is rated 5750 front GAWR versus 6000# rear GAWR. Not a huge difference. But with 18" wheels, the difference rises to 500#, or 6000# front versus 6500# rear GAWR. All 3/4 tons have a GVWR of around 10,000#.

IIRC typical RAM 2500 diesel empty curb weights are 5000# front 3000# rear (8K total). With a GVWR of 10K, this gives them only 2000# payload. But they can have a rear axle payload of 3-3.5K lbs. Of course the gassers are much lighter and have higher payloads.

The Titan XD's rear GAWR is 4900#, and the empty truck weighs about 7400#. I haven't seen any actual axle weights, but if you figure the same front/back weight ratio as the RAM (5/3), the rear axle weight might be 2775#, giving 2125# rear axle payload.

Not enough for me I'm afraid. We'll probably be moving up to a RAM Cummins 2500 later this year (if I can get the cash together:wink2:).

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
The RAM 2500 with 17" wheels is rated 5750 front GAWR versus 6000# rear GAWR. Not a huge difference. But with 18" wheels, the difference rises to 500#, or 6000# front versus 6500# rear GAWR. All 3/4 tons have a GVWR of around 10,000#.

IIRC typical RAM 2500 diesel empty curb weights are 5000# front 3000# rear (8K total). With a GVWR of 10K, this gives them only 2000# payload. But they can have a rear axle payload of 3-3.5K lbs. Of course the gassers are much lighter and have higher payloads.

The Titan XD's rear GAWR is 4900#, and the empty truck weighs about 7400#. I haven't seen any actual axle weights, but if you figure the same front/back weight ratio as the RAM (5/3), the rear axle weight might be 2775#, giving 2125# rear axle payload.

Not enough for me I'm afraid. We'll probably be moving up to a RAM Cummins 2500 later this year (if I can get the cash together:wink2:).
Thanks for the input and brings up another question, is the titan xd's axle ratings change from difference in wheel size? All you recent XD owners chime in so we can compare, lol...block your vin or crop the pic. What to see is the 20in vs the 18's in relation to axle weight ratings!:grin2:

Good luck with the purchase! Still feeling out the truck before I jump on a deal...I want to compare the gasser;)

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like the same number on the dif cover as the NV3500: 40077049A

That appears to be the same diff, minus changes in the wheel studs and axle ratio. NV3500's have a 5800# or so RAWR. So the XD rear axle could potentially get close to taking another 1000#'s.

Old Ag

1 - 20 of 31 Posts