Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I had a 2006 LE and I loved it! Certain things forced me into a 2008 Xterra. Now I'm looking to get a new pickemup-truck. I am leaning towards a loaded F150 with max payload and 3.5EB, However I want to give Nissan a fair shot.

·
129 Posts
I just got rid of my Eco boost for this new xd. I tow a 9000lb travel trailer and that truck was no good for it, horrible mileage towing and always revved out on boost and the chassis was to light and tossed me around quite a bit. I'm a big Ford fan but was not impressed in my ecoboost in more ways than one

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info! I'm looking to tow a 10K pound tractor and trailer down to deer camp a couple times a year. The big issue for me is I live 2 miles from the office, driving the short of distance is terrible for a diesel truck. I am very interested in the gas version coming out, I really hope it has enough low end torque to make it a viable option....hence why Im looking at the EB.

·
405 Posts
The XD will probably feel much better towing 10k but the XD is new. The F-150 has been out for like a year so a lot of the bugs have been worked out. My father tows his 6800lb camper about once a month with his 2015 3.5TT Eco boost and it pulls strong like a diesel, but the truck is light weight. The XD weighs 2000lbs more and it feels that way. It's slow and solid. The ecoboost will crush it while pulling a trailer but it won't have the weight to handle winds and such. There's actually a video on YouTube of the XD going up the Ile Gauntlet and it's embarrassing in my opinion.

·
203 Posts
I currently own a 2014 ecoboost. Are you looking at the max towing package or the hd payload package? 2 separate options there.
-Hd payload is VERY RARE and usually a special order. It includes heavier springs and 7 lug axles along with lt rates tires.
-max towing is more common and includes no upgrades to the chasis. It has the 3.55 rear end(use to be 3.73) and a bigger trans cooler and that's basically it.

I haven't towed with the hd package truck but I imagine it would feel better that a non hd option. The big thing with towing 10k with any 1/2 ton is that your trailer weighs roughly twice as much as the truck. Sure a good wdh and some air bags can help the ride feel more stable, but there is no substation for pure mass.....which is what the xd has. That fact alone will make the xd a much more stable tow rig vs any 1/2 ton.

As to towing with my truck, I can only echo what has been said by Calgary. Towing an 8500lb tt worked the truck over good on bumps and with a cross wind. I don't tow very often so I deal with it for now, but a heavier truck will be my next purchase. I'm also on an f150 forum, and most guys on there who tow regularly use air helper bags to help with the stability, but my guess is that it still doesn't feel as solid as the xd would.

Both nice trucks, it really just comes down to your preference as your the guy spending $50k+- some

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, that the extra weight would make gorgeous and much more stable towing experience. I drove the XD the other day and loved it, it's not the rocket ship that the ecoboost is but felt very sure footed.

I was looking at the max tow package.

The trailer is a gooseneck, so that a plus for the titan right off the bat. It appears the the gas burners will have a couple hundred much needed Xtra pounds of payload.

However I drove the ecoboost the other day, boy was that fun! It's the only truck i've driven that I enjoyed to drive as much as my old Titan.

·
203 Posts
I'm anxious to drive the gas xd once they come out. Although it won't be as quick as my Eco, it'll probably scoot along pretty dang well! I'm imagining it'll be about like the hemi 2500 rams, which are very quick for big ol trucks.

·
1,979 Posts
You're not going to want a Diesel if you only drive 2 miles to work, it's just that simple. As far as that load goes you are in 3/4 ton territory to realistically be legal (not saying any of these trucks can't pull it ). If you want a 1/2 ton you'll need the F150 with the HD package..

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your probably right about true 3/4 ton gasser is probably what I should consider. Granted mpgs aren't that important to me, 14 mpgs in a f250 6.2 would stink...for only needing it 2-3 times a year.

·
1,979 Posts
Your probably right about true 3/4 ton gasser is probably what I should consider. Granted mpgs aren't that important to me, 14 mpgs in a f250 6.2 would stink...for only needing it 2-3 times a year.
You ever thought about trying to find another way to get it up there ?

·
203 Posts
You're not going to want a Diesel if you only drive 2 miles to work, it's just that simple. As far as that load goes you are in 3/4 ton territory to realistically be legal (not saying any of these trucks can't pull it ). If you want a 1/2 ton you'll need the F150 with the HD package..
Very true on payload. Assuming 4x4 option you get right At 2k payload with the f150(non hd), and 2-2.5k with a gas xd. 20% pin weight puts you pretty much maxed out either way(from a legal standpoint).

And the 6.2 f250 is pretty boring to drive without a tune. Ford limits it so it won't reach wot until over 3000 rpms....makes it pretty uneventful off the line. although I've heard ones with the 4.33 rear end do very well in that aspect, but then that 14 mpgs drops to 12.

One of these days someone will give us a perfect truck......15k tow capacity, 4K lb payload, rides like a caddy, gets 25 mpg, and will do 0-60 in about 6 seconds....haha

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my dad typically does all the brush hogging, he has a 3500 ram that pulls the trailer with ease. However he is getting up in age a I need to start taking over that role. He would let me borrow his truck, but he would want to go also and then he would over exert himself...very typical of us guys.

I want to be able to go to his house, hook up the trailer and wave bye.

The camp is about 1 hour from there mostly 55 mph two lane roads.

For the rest of the year it me my fat Lab, and maybe my 600 lb Yamaha Grizzly....and an assortment of firarms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts