Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick discussion starter. What's your mileage/year and were there any issues with the engine or the truck?

Mine is '16 with 56k miles. Never had issues with the engine/drivetrain/emissions. The only problem I had was the with the satellite radio and the driver's side actuator door for the AC.

I'm wondering if there are some common issues at certain mileage or this truck will gown down in history as a pretty reliable one?

16 SV with 50k Kilometres . Been deleted for half that time. Power train has been solid. I had to replace a wire harness on the back up sensors. I tow 20 foot trailer with skidsteer (13k total lbs) Has been a great truck.

2016 S with 50k. The only problem I've had was the check engine light coming on a couple of times, throwing the same P1C54 code both recently and once last year. I took it to the dealership the first time, and they diagnosed bad/old def, cleared the code, and sent me on my way. This most recent recurrence was just a matter of clearing the code, topping off with fresh fluid, and hoping it's not a NOx sensor or something more insidious.

2016 Pro4X 68k multiple oil leaks with the latest one being a cracked valve cover. Still love the truck.

2017 PR @ 63K miles on the clock. New engine 6K miles ago. Shift from 2-3 kinda hard sometimes, seems like slipping clutch. 2 bad batteries. Replaced under warranty. They both are leaking now. Replaced with 2 Optima Redtop (at my cost). Radio unit restarts itself occasionally.

2017 XD SV 4x4... About 54000 miles right now. The squawks are numerous:
  • Transmission slipping/stuttering in 2nd gear, dealer won't fix
  • Transmission shift flare 3-4 when cold, dealer won't fix
  • Squeaking/Creaking from Suspension, dealer won't fix
  • EGR Replacement ~45K miles, dealer fixed under warranty
  • Coolant bottle/sensor replacement ~45K miles, with EGR replacement
  • TCU Replacement ~25K miles, dealer fixed under warranty
  • Throttle hesitation, dealer won't fix
  • Weatherstripping failure passenger front door, wind noise.
  • Diesel smell in cabin during regen, dealer attempted but failed to fix
  • Entertainment system locks up once in a while
  • Entertainment system poor response time to user inputs
  • A/C Blend Door Replacement under TSB
  • Slight Pull to the right, dealer won't fix
That's all that comes to mind but I am sure there have been and will be more.

Banned
2017 XD SV 4x4... About 54000 miles right now. The squawks are numerous:
  • Transmission slipping/stuttering in 2nd gear, dealer won't fix
  • Transmission shift flare 3-4 when cold, dealer won't fix
  • Squeaking/Creaking from Suspension, dealer won't fix
  • EGR Replacement ~45K miles, dealer fixed under warranty
  • Coolant bottle/sensor replacement ~45K miles, with EGR replacement
  • TCU Replacement ~25K miles, dealer fixed under warranty
  • Throttle hesitation, dealer won't fix
  • Weatherstripping failure passenger front door, wind noise.
  • Diesel smell in cabin during regen, dealer attempted but failed to fix
  • Entertainment system locks up once in a while
  • Entertainment system poor response time to user inputs
  • A/C Blend Door Replacement under TSB
  • Slight Pull to the right, dealer won't fix
That's all that comes to mind but I am sure there have been and will be more.
Pedal Commander will cure the hesitation. Absolutely the best mod and first one you should do if not deleted.

Had a 16 crew platinum with 33,000 miles. Made Nissan buy it back under the lemon law. Two transfer cases broke and replaced under warranty. Numerous transmission reprograms done under warranty and failed to fix any of the problems. Shifted extremely harsh. when doing a California style stop there would be nothing after getting into the middle of an intersection and then all of a sudden it would hit hard and squeak the tires nearly getting myself and my wife in accidents multiple times. Slip when shifting from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4. Can鈥檛 remember which. Driver side door seal replaced and still did not fix the wind noise. There were several other smaller problems. All of these issues were pretty common with the earlier build 2016鈥檚. Surprised to see you so many of you here with 2016鈥榮 and no issues. Lucky!

even though I had all of those problems, I got the same exact truck as a replacement in a 2017 model. I have not had one single issue with the 2017, but it still has throttle hesitation and the 2 to 3 shift slip at slow acceleration and no load, and sometimes shifts a bit harsh. Nothing like the 2016 and I absolutely love the truck, so I live with it. About 49,000 miles on it now.

I drove a 2018 model at the dealership the other day and it had none of the throttle hesitation or shifting issues. Going to get my truck into the dealership and see if they can figure it out. Might just demand they put a 2018 transmission in it as the 2018 and up models don鈥檛 appear to have any of the transmission issues I have experienced

Just a quick discussion starter. What's your mileage/year and were there any issues with the engine or the truck?

Mine is '16 with 56k miles. Never had issues with the engine/drivetrain/emissions. The only problem I had was the with the satellite radio and the driver's side actuator door for the AC.

I'm wondering if there are some common issues at certain mileage or this truck will gown down in history as a pretty reliable one?
I have a 16 4x4 SV that's been "upgraded" with 103k.

Well at 12,000 miles my Turbo froze up and had to be replaced.. no hard core Diesel Mechs at dealers. Ended up causing a couple of more issues, one leaked enough fuel on engine and tranny to empty a quarter tank of fuel before I pulled over and shutdown the fuel pump.. I have seen a couple of Titans online that have burned to the ground.. could have been same issue where the fuel injector return line comes loose... just guessing.. And the computer never told me it had a fuel leak.. Funny thing is when the Turbo was replaced the radiator was never filled right. I found that out because the truck went into a limp mode for low water.. but the serious stuff like a fuel leak not a peep.. or complaint..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts