Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
14 Posts
2017 pro4x. I have 50k of which 25k-30k is towing between 13k and 13500k all the time. Nothing much but AC actuator. Mods include Titan 50gallon fuel tank, and air bags. Trans fluid changed once, coolant once, front and rear diff hold amsoil severe gear. Next will be tires down the road and serpentine belt. Been on the road for seven months beating on the Cummins pretty good. Just put some new Valvoline Premium blue 10-30 after 12k miles. Resting now due to the virus in Florida. Back to IL one of these days???? Not to crazy about the OEM batteries, the battery post have to be treated frequently here in Florida. So far not to bad at all.

·
44 Posts
'17 Pro4X with 39K all stock, no drivetrain issue. Had a few DEF issues when the temperature is 10F outside, dealer did updates under warranty. One time last Summer while I was towing the CEL with "coolant performance warning" message came on. I stopped the truck to check the coolant level it was low. So I topped it off and it has been fine for 5K miles since then.

·
29 Posts
2016 SL with 57,000 miles. Turbo replaced at 48,000 miles under warranty. Other minor issues that have been common like diesel smell in cab etc. DEF system replacement at 56,000 miles which left me stranded 700 miles from home. Took a week to fix so had to rent a car to get home then drive back. Warranty did not cover so cost $$. Now check engine on again after less than 800 miles (most from driving it home from the repair). Recall PC731 on the ECM notice. From other posts this may be a replacement of ECM. Wonder if that caused my repair really! I wish I had not bought the vehicle as I have lost confidence in it and Nissan.

·
1 Posts
I bought my 2016 SL with 67k just two weeks ago as is from a car dealer (Not Nissan), and had 2 issues with accelerating today. First time was just minutes away from home, I was crossing the highway from a rolling stop and wouldn't let me accelerate quickly, and then it threw a check engine light (P226c code) as soon as I was able to take off again from the median.
I made it to me destination without any further issues, then an hour later took off again, right as soon as I pulled onto a major road, it wouldn't want to accelerate and held at 1500rpm limiting my speed to around 25/30 mph. It didn't matter how much or less I pressed the gas. This was also just a few minutes after taking off.

So I pulled off to a parking lot, placed it in park waited a minute, then took off again without any further issues. Home was about 10 minutes from here.

I don't know what exactly to do, but I'm not sure if it's purely turbo related.

I'll have to field test it more tomorrow.

NEXT DAY UPDATE: Turbo went bad, Nissan Dealership had to order new Turbo kit and is replacing under warranty. Truck is still in shop, should be complete by tomorrow noon.

·
24 Posts
2017 Platinum with 50k no issues at all

·
20 Posts
2016 Platinum diesel. Purchased at 103,000. Showed excellent 3,500 miles down the road cyl 4 injector open circuit. Two months later, 3,000 miles, engine failure. Cylinder 4 scored and lost compression. My opinion: there is a problem with premature injector failures. This flaw will destroy cylinder walls do not take lightly. Do not operate this engine under any engine miss whatsoever as it may result in catastrophic failure. If the the engine develops a miss in the middle of the desert while towing your toy trailer. Have it towed out. Out of warranty engine replacement by Nissan will run upwards of $14,000. It is general consensus that newer models have been improved and thus less likely to fail. However it is important to note Cummins will not support this engine. If you have a failure outside of what Nissan decides it is will to cover you will have limited aftermarket support along with engine parts that are unavailable even through Nissan or Cummins. Essentially the Titan XD is a bad buy. You may ask how do I know? I am the unfortunate one to find out by experience. I have been charged $430.00 in labor to replace one injector plus the part cost ($300). My local Nissan dealer in Florida, charged $540. 00 diagnostic fee, to tell me cylinder 4 is dead. Save yourself the hassle buy proven diesel products. I regret not purchasing the 2011 Ford F
250 XLT 6.7 for the same money.

·
20 Posts
To address any people that wish to discredit my post, I will add. Luckily I may have found a replacement donor engine for my truck at a blessing price. I am a proud owner of a 2005 Nissan Titan King Cab 5.6 with 210,000 miles that runs like a scalded dog. I was drawn to the refined amenities offered in the beautiful Platinum Reserve package of my Titan XD, I felt that with previous experience it was a no brainer to take advantage of the incredible value in the Titan XD diesel. My experience has been the opposite. I feel these engines have only been exploited using the Cummins name. They were under engineered to provide at most 150,000 miles before total replacement. Unlike both their Nissan 5.6 gas motors offered in the brand’s 1500 trucks(btw they kept the design over 10 years) and Cummins renowned Diesel engine counterparts. It’s no wonder they did not survive.

·
620 Posts
And here’s another armchair engineer theory explaining why his truck broke. It’s ironic that you say you over-100kmile, first model year, unknown history, used Titan XD is a bad buy- more like a bad purchase. A bad dealership experience doesn’t make it a bad buy- however, I do agree the dealers as a whole are letdowns.

Nissan supports this truck, just fine- I would say there is a 90% success rate with owners getting new parts/blocks to replace the failures. Not sure why you expected a truck out of warranty to get better support, financially.

Sure, it’s a huge bummer this happened. It’s a bigger bummer you didn’t buy a warranty or a truck with a warranty. Dealerships are money making ventures- don’t ever forget it!

·
20 Posts
In response to: It’s ironic that you say you over-100kmile, first model year, unknown history, used Titan XD is a bad buy- more like a bad purchase.

Yes its is a bad purchase I agree.

Though my experience in modern diesel turbocharged v8 cummins engines is nil. I do however understand the reputation and reliabilty cummins engines has developed over many years.

The service history of mentioned vehicle has been exclusively been performed by two Nissan dealerships and finally by a third Nissan dealership(Upon my ownership of the vehicle.) The service records of said vehicle are thoroughly documented.

Futhermore: And here’s another armchair engineer theory explaining why his truck broke.

Correct once again!
I can only base my opinion based on my limited knowledge, though I have been charged over $500 for diagnostic though the "expert" technicians couldn't offer me an explanation or cause for the engine failure.

Although I have a wealth of experience with gasoline engines of all types, I am at a loss as to what happened here. I did expect for this vehicle to be capable of reaching over 200,000 miles with proper maintenance and care. I may be wrong to assume that.

I am on this forum to share my experience.

QuikCoastie17 how many miles does your Titan XD have? Have you experienced similar event? Can you refer me to reputable rebuilder that is able to source parts outside of a dealership charging $14,000 for a long block replacement?

Or are you just trying to defend your purchase of a problematic, short lived, discontinued disaster that is the Cummins powered Nissan Titan XD?

I emplore you to use facts rather than blind unexperienced criticism.

I'm listening! Even if I am sitting in my office armchair, posting this on my computer.

Kind Regards,
Jose

·
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0L Cummins
1 Posts
I have a 2016 xd 5.0L with 71,000 miles on it. Bought it a year ago used. Still under warranty. I just had a check engine light come on and reduced power warning come up. The EGR cooler needed replaced. Luckily under warranty. Other than that....the truck has been great!

Just a quick discussion starter. What's your mileage/year and were there any issues with the engine or the truck?

Mine is '16 with 56k miles. Never had issues with the engine/drivetrain/emissions. The only problem I had was the with the satellite radio and the driver's side actuator door for the AC.

I'm wondering if there are some common issues at certain mileage or this truck will gown down in history as a pretty reliable one?

·
620 Posts
In response to: It’s ironic that you say you over-100kmile, first model year, unknown history, used Titan XD is a bad buy- more like a bad purchase.

Yes its is a bad purchase I agree.

Though my experience in modern diesel turbocharged v8 cummins engines is nil. I do however understand the reputation and reliabilty cummins engines has developed over many years.

The service history of mentioned vehicle has been exclusively been performed by two Nissan dealerships and finally by a third Nissan dealership(Upon my ownership of the vehicle.) The service records of said vehicle are thoroughly documented.

Futhermore: And here’s another armchair engineer theory explaining why his truck broke.

Correct once again!
I can only base my opinion based on my limited knowledge, though I have been charged over $500 for diagnostic though the "expert" technicians couldn't offer me an explanation or cause for the engine failure.

Although I have a wealth of experience with gasoline engines of all types, I am at a loss as to what happened here. I did expect for this vehicle to be capable of reaching over 200,000 miles with proper maintenance and care. I may be wrong to assume that.

I am on this forum to share my experience.

QuikCoastie17 how many miles does your Titan XD have? Have you experienced similar event? Can you refer me to reputable rebuilder that is able to source parts outside of a dealership charging $14,000 for a long block replacement?

Or are you just trying to defend your purchase of a problematic, short lived, discontinued disaster that is the Cummins powered Nissan Titan XD?

I emplore you to use facts rather than blind unexperienced criticism.

I'm listening! Even if I am sitting in my office armchair, posting this on my computer.

Kind Regards,
Jose
I have 2 XD’s currently. A 2017 SL 4x4 CC w/ 56k and a 2017 SV 4X4 Single Cab w/ 85k. Both have lifetime power train warranty from Nissan and the SL has a lifetime maintenance package.

Both have been problem free, both are tuned/deleted, and both have had (2) Blackstone Labs oil analysis completed each with great reports, both times.

I don’t need any of my engines rebuilt, nor do I feel like i will. However, any extensive diesel work that needed done I would only trust Rudy’s Diesel. That’s just my 2 cents.

I dont need to defend my purchase. Both are great trucks that I work hard- proof is in the pudding.

·
1,396 Posts
2016 Platinum diesel. Purchased at 103,000. Showed excellent 3,500 miles down the road cyl 4 injector open circuit. Two months later, 3,000 miles, engine failure. Cylinder 4 scored and lost compression. My opinion: there is a problem with premature injector failures. This flaw will destroy cylinder walls do not take lightly. Do not operate this engine under any engine miss whatsoever as it may result in catastrophic failure. If the the engine develops a miss in the middle of the desert while towing your toy trailer. Have it towed out. Out of warranty engine replacement by Nissan will run upwards of $14,000. It is general consensus that newer models have been improved and thus less likely to fail. However it is important to note Cummins will not support this engine. If you have a failure outside of what Nissan decides it is will to cover you will have limited aftermarket support along with engine parts that are unavailable even through Nissan or Cummins. Essentially the Titan XD is a bad buy. You may ask how do I know? I am the unfortunate one to find out by experience. I have been charged $430.00 in labor to replace one injector plus the part cost ($300). My local Nissan dealer in Florida, charged $540. 00 diagnostic fee, to tell me cylinder 4 is dead. Save yourself the hassle buy proven diesel products. I regret not purchasing the 2011 Ford F
250 XLT 6.7 for the same money.
Haha you want to talk shit on this truck and then want to say in same sentence you wish you would of bought a 9 year old piece of shit for same money? You make no sense bro. Hell the first 3 years of the 6.7 powerstroke was shit, you couldnt keep a turbo in them, not to mention the trans failures.

·
24 Posts
‘18, 25k, no issues here. But I did join the high mileage clubs from Cummins. They send you a nice badge every 100k. There are some Cummins engines out there with over 1 million miles (Dodge’s of course). That is one of the main reasons I went with the diesel instead of a gasser.

·
79 Posts
Note mine but taken from the XD facebook group. Gentlemen said he deleted at 203k miles and this is where he sits now. There are plenty out there well over 100k miles, a few over 200k.

·
897 Posts
2016 CD with cummins. 58000 miles
Transfer case replaced at 20k. No other issues. (Traded for 19)
2019 8100 miles intermittent AT ERROR light happened twice now but havent taken to dealer for diagnostic yet

41 - 60 of 64 Posts