Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can answer this.

I am looking at buying a used toy hauler. The gross weight for the trailer is 11000 and the hitch weight is 1200.

Is that hitch weight too much for a XD pro4x diesel?

·
1,979 Posts
Yep, you will exceed all of the weights of a XD with that size of a trailer. You really need to be looking at a 3/4 ton truck. General rule of thumb is to try and stay under 80% of the max capacities of the TV.
Hope that helps.

·
43 Posts
I pull a 34 foot enclosed car trailer and max 12,000 pounds my xd prox4 pulls it with no worries. there are people right now putting 18,000 pounds up to the xd's and not having any issues.

·
141 Posts
Your tow rating should be 12k you're fine. Per DOT you can't exceed that number. Will the truck pull more sure, for how long who knows. Under max rating your still good under warranty. Over not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Hopefully someone can answer this.

I am looking at buying a used toy hauler. The gross weight for the trailer is 11000 and the hitch weight is 1200.

Is that hitch weight too much for a XD pro4x diesel?
You haven't mentioned it but if not thought about it. I suggest a good WD hitch to equalize every thing.
Your payload numbers could be an issue on paper.

·
1,979 Posts
I pull a 34 foot enclosed car trailer and max 12,000 pounds my xd prox4 pulls it with no worries. there are people right now putting 18,000 pounds up to the xd's and not having any issues.
That doesn't make it Safe, smart or legal. In a blink of a eye things can go bad.
ToyHaulers are notorious for being well over there stickered weight & that's before they get loaded for Toys.
The 80% rule is a good safe margin for everyone one the road.

·
507 Posts
Your tow rating should be 12k you're fine. Per DOT you can't exceed that number. Will the truck pull more sure, for how long who knows. Under max rating your still good under warranty. Over not so much.
I believe you need to double check that. I believe it is internet hokum.
None of the 1/2, 3/4, or 1 tons can even pull the federal weight limits.

Federal law states that single axles are limited to 20,000 pounds, and axles closer than 96 inches apart (tandem axles) are limited to 34,000 pounds. Gross vehicle weight is limited to 80,000 pounds (23 U.S.C. 127).Oct 20, 2015

·
573 Posts
Go for it. This was exactly the weight the XD was designed for. You will be close, but not over so long as you use common sense. I bash the XD a lot on this forum, but if I KNEW I was pulling 12k, the XD would be the way to go. I would simply favor the gas.

·
141 Posts
I believe you need to double check that. I believe it is internet hokum.
None of the 1/2, 3/4, or 1 tons can even pull the federal weight limits.

Federal law states that single axles are limited to 20,000 pounds, and axles closer than 96 inches apart (tandem axles) are limited to 34,000 pounds. Gross vehicle weight is limited to 80,000 pounds (23 U.S.C. 127).Oct 20, 2015
Jtc, problelm with your quote is you left out gvw and gvcw, which is the applicable number, not bridge weight to which you quoted.

·
43 Posts
That doesn't make it Safe, smart or legal. In a blink of a eye things can go bad.
ToyHaulers are notorious for being well over there stickered weight & that's before they get loaded for Toys.
The 80% rule is a good safe margin for everyone one the road.
the trucks are rated to tow 12,800 pound do I go over that no so how is it not safe..... yes there are people that do go over it but the truck can handle it.
so I don't know where you think my truck is unsafe.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
the trucks are rated to tow 12,800 pound do I go over that no so how is it not safe..... yes there are people that do go over it but the truck can handle it.
The highest rating is just over 12000lbs

And depending on option package that number drops drastically. If your pro4x is fully optioned tow rating is probably closer to 11000lbs

·
43 Posts
The highest rating is just over 12000lbs

And depending on option package that number drops drastically. If your pro4x is fully optioned tow rating is probably closer to 11000lbs
the rating is 12,800 for the pro x4 at the bumper. with all the options it drops down to 12,120 pounds. so im still within the limits

·
1,979 Posts
Leaving No/little safety margin is just risky & just not good practice.
My original comment was directed to the OP & since he came to here instead of looking at the posted limits of a XD he is looking at, I'm guessing he probably shouldn't be pulling something at the maximum of the TV just based off of what he was asking & unless he had his TH weighed loaded he really doesn't understand how heavy it really is. I've owned several different styles of ToyHaulers, they are nothing like TT's.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
the rating is 12,800 for the pro x4 at the bumper. with all the options it drops down to 12,120 pounds. so im still within the limits
Sorry you are dead wrong the highest rated xd diesel is base S 2WD at 12300 lbs, the base pro4x is 11784 lbs. If you have the extra packages it will drop it closer to 11000lbs. Do you have the truck and owners manual it states exact numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
If you don't have a manual here is a download
https://carmanuals2.com/get/nissan-titan-xd-2016-owner-s-manual-84213
I believe page 474
Base pro4x 11784 lbs tow, special note #1
1: The towing capacity values are calculated assuming a base vehicle with driver and any options required to achieve the rating. Additional passengers,
cargo and/or optional equipment will add weight to the vehicle and reduce your vehicle’s maximum towing capacity.

·
1,979 Posts
It's becoming apparent that you might not be exactly sure of what your ratings are & you might be over them by a decent margin. This is another reason why I suggest getting more of a TV than is needed for that 20% margin.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
well then Nissan advertised it wrong cause they were advertising 12,800 when I got mine and I guess im not the only other person to know that.... just saying
You must wear different glasses then me? I see 12000

Ever since a tow number released it was max 12300lbs advertised. You really need to read page 474 of your manual to get a little more understanding. Also sub-track the weight of options from the number shown

·
43 Posts
You must wear different glasses then me? I see 12000

Ever since a tow number released it was max 12300lbs advertised. You really need to read page 474 of your manual to get a little more understanding. Also sub-track the weight of options from the number shown
if you go and read the text it says more then 12,000 pounds... so guess I have reading glasses on :nerd2:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts