Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the observations I made in a test drive within 10 minutes being on the road was a tell-tale sign that the hood would flutter on that expanse of hood at the base of the windshield! Caught my eye because it was a night test drive and was getting irregular reflections from that area. At first was thought the dash was causing it. Started paying attention to and as the old saying goes "a watched pot never boils".

Drove it around a bit more and noticed it again! Mentioned it to Nissan and they say nobody's ever reported it. Drove my daughter's Juke the other day for about 100 miles and hood flutter is 10x worse!

Posed the observation in another thread I started on my test drive impressions and one other owner confirmed. Have driven 4 of them and they all have it, too. Pretty annoying in this caliber of truck. Have not driven a Platinum but has occurred in the SV and SL. Will drive a Pro-4x in the next 2 days and plan to take video.

Anybody else observing hood flutter? What model is it occurring in?

·
857 Posts
I have a feeling that Nissan won't address it, might just be one of those things that get done more on an individual dealership level.

·
224 Posts
I get a little cowl shake in my SV from time to time. The hood is lighter gage steel than is found in other trucks. I found that common in Nissans over the years. My wife's two Muranos did/do it as well. They add reinforcing stampings under the lower surface, but it's still a lightweight hood and uses very, shall we say, undersized hinges to attach the hood at the pivot and then relies on those two pivots, the dampeners, and the latch to secure the whole thing in place while in motion. They could have certainly upped the gage of metal on the hood, but I suppose the engineers needed to save weight so thats what they chose for production.

It's normal. I don't even notice it anymore. But you are correct, it does have a bit of flutter, especially compared to a Ram; however, my neighbors EcoBoost with the aluminum hood does it too. Rode in his a couple of days ago. Its a factor of lighter gage metal.

MB

·
348 Posts
My Pro4X does it, chalked it up to something I'll just have to ignore.

·
14 Posts
Yep...does it on the Platinum, too. Doesn't bother me that much...I'll see if it bothers me on the weekend trip into the mountains ;-)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Yep my SL has the flutter also, but then again both of the Tundra's i owner prior to my Titan did also as does the F-350 I drive for work.

·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep my SL has the flutter also, but then again both of the Tundra's i owner prior to my Titan did also as does the F-350 I drive for work.
My 99.5 F250 Powerstroke doesn't do it. What year is your F350?

·
1,300 Posts
Mine does it a little bit, my old 11 3500 ram didn't at all.
My 13 5500 ram service truck is a different story, brutal, I've never seen a hood move so much in my life. When it's really windy and I'm on the hwy I'm scared as it looks like she is going to rip off. Took it in a couple times and it's always a "no fault found"

·
1,979 Posts
Mine does it a little bit, my old 11 3500 ram didn't at all.
My 13 5500 ram service truck is a different story, brutal, I've never seen a hood move so much in my life. When it's really windy and I'm on the hwy I'm scared as it looks like she is going to rip off. Took it in a couple times and it's always a "no fault found"
You should see what my Jeep Tj's hood does on the freeway.

·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A truck built in 2016 that costs 50+ THOUSAND DOLLARS shouldn't do it at all! They need to fix it, at least at some point in future builds. Unbecoming of the Mighty Titan XD!

·
348 Posts
You can probably fault the NHTSA and the insurance industry for this problem, not the manufacturers. In reality it more than likely boils down to "crumple" zones during impact. The hoods of all vehicles sold in at least the USA, (not sure about Can. regs.) are designed to sacrifice themselves in a crash to absorb impact. Just like bumpers have been reduced in MPH ratings and not as stout as the old vehicles. it does seem to be worse on vehicles with flatter hoods as compared to those with more curve in them.

·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...but in the end, it didn't matter. Became a proud owner of the Pearl Pro4x yesterday. Filled it up drove it over a 165 mile loop (not straight and level). Averaged 21.6 mpg starting with 45 miles on the clock @ 14.3 mpg. That pretty much got me what I wanted over the test drive topography. So, all other things considered, bought it.

·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for clarity here- it was 21.6 for the 120 mile loop as shown on the truck's display. It was a hand calculated 18.7 for the tank with 45 miles @ 14.3 already on the clock before starting the loop.

Reactions: TitanCowboy

·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hit a rough patch on Interstate 40 for about 20 miles yesterday and it was REALLY noticeable. Still think it shouldn't do it, but bought it anyway.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts