Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question or poll....Does your hood latch when you just let it fall from about 12-16” up? Mine just bounces and stays open, I really have to push down pretty good to get it to latch, and then yesterday it popped open on the highway. Fortunately it was held by the catch! I reckon I’ll look at adjusting the latch plate UP a bit toward the hood loop to see if it makes a difference....

·
595 Posts
My hood latch hooks up just fine with a drop from minimal height, 6 inches is usually plenty high and I've never had it come loose.

I'd be pretty rattled by the hood popping up at speed. I had one come loose on one side at the track once, peeled that whole corner back in a split second, scared the **** out of me, just glad the pin on the other side of the hood held.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
131 Posts
Try adjusting the stop bumpers.They are on each side of the hood. Screw them down one turn at a time till you get it.

·
275 Posts
Mine seems to shut just fine.

I was about to start a thread about hoods popping open randomly.

I've had mine pop open recently, luckily I was just in the city. I tried to think really hard if I may have flexed something with my feet getting in and out of my truck but nothing really stood out in my mind.

I noticed my brothers hood was popped once on his truck and he swears up and down he didnt pop it.

So this makes 3 cases of randomly opening hoods on the XD.

·
595 Posts
Ok, y'all got my curiosity up so I went out and looked over the hood latch operation and design on the Titan XD.

The only way it could be more simple is if there were no cable leading to the remote release in the cab.

No electronics involved.

Same latch hardware design (and maybe even manufacturer) as many other cars and trucks.

The only way I was able to force a malfunction that would make it look like it was latched but release anyway was to Carefully and Gentle let the hood settle down onto the latch and then ease it into the ALMOST locked position with a little downward pressure. It would kinda sit like that for a while but on my truck it would spring up in anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or so.

I looked over the latch design and once it is latched down it does require a fair amount of pull on the cable causing the locking ratchet to release thus turning the larger rotating catch loose.

An errant pull on the latch in the cab (perhaps by a bit or something) could cause it to release but it is pretty flush with the dash panel.

Some mounting or fitment problems could possibly position things such that it takes a little more effort to punch the hood down to make it fully latch but it sure seems like those fitment errors would have to be fairly obvious before it might induce the problem.

I did find that if, even when I was able to get it to balance on the "almost latched" position, if I checked the hood by giving it a little push down it would always pop up to the unlatched position, so maybe if you have concerns a quick check after you close the hood is in order.

There could be various other things that might induce a malfunction, such as a dirty cable that doesn't return fully to the locked position, but again this would likely leave the latch unable to be secured at all, not booby trapped to pop up randomly.

The only way I can see for this hood to release from the main latch is if it is not fully engaged when it is shut. If this latch truly failed there wouldn't be anyway to get it to re-latch and hold the hood down.

·
275 Posts
Sorry if I created confusion with my post, I know my truck I didnt pop the hood within a week+ of when I found it popped open. I can't say the same for the other 2 situations but I know mine wasn't from not shutting it tight enough. I dont think it is from not latching it completely. I will keep my eyes out to see if it happens again, hard not to with a hood as big as the one we have.

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Another thing this revealed is that I only have one screw down rubber bumper on the drivers side and it has no effect on the latching operation. There are about 4 fixed rubber bumpers under there as well and I suspect they are the main contact point and the two screw in ones are mainly for side hood/fender elevation trim adjustment. So I still drop it from about 12” and it just bounces back up from the release spring. I guess I’ll mess with the latch height screws sometime today and see if I can make a difference pulling the latch mechanism up a bit.....

·
986 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! Another thing this revealed is that I only have one screw down rubber bumper on the drivers side and it has no effect on the latching operation. There are about 4 fixed rubber bumpers under there as well and I suspect they are the main contact point and the two screw in ones are mainly for side hood/fender elevation trim adjustment. So I still drop it from about 12” and it just bounces back up from the release spring. I guess I’ll mess with the latch height screws sometime today and see if I can make a difference pulling the latch mechanism up a bit.....
If you are dropping it from that height and it is not latching it is possible that the arm that attaches to the cable on the latch is not returning to the proper position when you release the handle. Try spraying it with penetrating fluid and make sure it moves freely.

·
595 Posts
If necessary you could place thin washers around each of the screws holding the latch down, placing them between the base of the latch and the truck body. I'd suggest doing this only as a last resort and going in small increments, you don't want the screws to have so little thread in the body that they could pull loose.

·
595 Posts
If you are dropping it from that height and it is not latching it is possible that the arm that attaches to the cable on the latch is not returning to the proper position when you release the handle. Try spraying it with penetrating fluid and make sure it moves freely.
I agree, checking the cable return is a good idea, also while your at it check the latch itself for proper lubrication and that it doesn't have any "gunk" messing with the mechanism.

Does it not latch when you set it into the latch and push down instead of dropping it?

Do the gaps between the body panels and the hood all appear straight and equal in size?

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I loosened the 3 12mm bolts holding the latch and moved the whole latch upward and test closed it a few times and repeated the process a couple times. While it doesn’t latch just falling down from the point where it will fall down (instead of the hydraulic struts taking it up), it now latches very audibly with only minor pressure down on it from on top of the hood by hand. The release cable is now a little easier to pull as well so I guess it might have been a little too tight before based on the release cable pressure. While I was in there I adjusted the screw out bumper a bit for a better hood/fender gap alignment. Thanks again for tips!

·
769 Posts
Mines squeekie. Crazie pot hole roads up here. Had the latch adjuhested, quiet for 2 weeks then back again... Any long term fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: after about 9 hours on the highway yesterday, no apparent hood issues other than that thing sure does have a lot of flex in it, thin metal! I don’t know about the squeaking problem, but then again, the huge grill guard that was on my XD when I bought it I suspect squeaks pretty good anyway, so I might not notice any new squeaks....

·
313 Posts
I use white lithium grease on stops and latch for squeaks . Works for a couple months then have to reapply

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
17’ XD Platinum Reserve 5.0 V8 Cummins
1 Posts
Mine seems to shut just fine.

I was about to start a thread about hoods popping open randomly.

I've had mine pop open recently, luckily I was just in the city. I tried to think really hard if I may have flexed something with my feet getting in and out of my truck but nothing really stood out in my mind.

I noticed my brothers hood was popped once on his truck and he swears up and down he didnt pop it.

So this makes 3 cases of randomly opening hoods on the XD.
Add another one to the list. 16’ XD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts